Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my arduous search for a breeder, I connected with one who may have puppies available very soon. I was surprised to hear she was feeding raw to such little babies. She steered me toward backup materials from foremost experts on the subject, but I am not convinced. Can this be potentially harmful? What’s the best way to transition to cooked foods? I’m all for avoiding commercially prepared kibble, but chicken bones to babies is hard for me to accept. Please advise. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It is perfectly fine to wean puppies to raw. Chicken bones are only dangerous when cooked. My dog was weaned to raw and has never been fed kibble. Personally I would take it as a good sign because feeding raw requires a lot more effort than kibble. It isn't difficult to transition to kibble or cooked foods, but the breeder would probably advise staying on raw if you can, as they probably believe (as I do) that it's a superior diet. Though a home cooked diet is also good if done properly.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My tribe has been eating raw (chicken, Turkey, beef, deer, fish, eggs, sheep, goat etc... for over 15 years. My Giant is from multi generations of raw feeders & never had kibble. All the vets wanted to argue but could not prove any deficiencies. They tried & could not. I was taught not to feed pork or bear to dogs & never do. Duck is a good meal but my Chihuahua wouldnt touch it. Here are 4 of my 5 waiting for green beans. In all these years raw feeding I've never had a dog any of the issues vets swore I would have. My old Shih Tzu was almost 18 years old when she passed. My dogs usually live to be teens on raw & healthy for their lifetimes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tribe has been eating raw (chicken, Turkey, beef, deer, fish, eggs, sheep, goat etc... for over 15 years. My Giant is from multi generations of raw feeders & never had kibble. All the vets wanted to argue but could not prove any deficiencies & could not. I was taught not to feed pork or bear to dogs & never do. Duck is a good meal but my Chihuahua wouldnt touch it. Here are 4 of my 5 waiting for green beans. In all these years raw feeding I've never had a dog any of the issues vets swore I would have. My old Shih Tzu was almost 18 years old when she passed. My dogs usually live to be teens on raw & healthy for their lifetimes

Very good pro responses all around. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Feeding raw can also mean « pre-made » raw, which means the bones are crushed in very fine particles into the meat. Lots of companies offer human grade pre-made raw of very high quality. It’s also quite expensive. That’s what I would feed puppies, not entire pieces of meat...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Feeding raw can also mean « pre-made » raw, which means the bones are crushed in very fine particles into the meat. Lots of companies offer human grade pre-made raw of very high quality. It’s also quite expensive. That’s what I would feed puppies, not entire pieces of meat...
I think it can be done both ways successfully, but Misha was started on grinds made by his breeder which would have included ground bone. Probably mixed with goat milk. I think full bones can be introduced if they are very small soft bones like chicken necks or wing tips. I know Misha certainly had no issue with chicken necks when he came to me at 10 weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,
We just had a most wonderful experience going raw!.
Our 3 year old Standard, a very picky eater, always had digestive
issues. It got even worse this past year, when she couldn’t even go a week without refusing to eat, vomiting bile, having loose stools, scratching excessively, the list goes on.
For the past few months she’s been on a veterinarian prescribed, limited ingredient, hydrolyzed kibble. We then hit the jackpot, finding a progressive vet, who got us going on raw.
That was just 3 weeks ago. Now we have a brand new dog!. She consistently snarfs down the raw food, has good, smaller stools, no more throw-ups, scratching’s gone!. Color me astounded!. I’m so happy for the dog, and I know she’s happy too.
The raw food comes to us frozen, through a co-op, and not terribly expensive.

·
Registered
427 Posts
SaVak, does your raw have fruit & veggies or just meat & bone?

We are do it yourself people. We bought a meat grinder which also grinds soft bones. Now my big dogs still get a piece of bone in meat daily, their second meal is the grind mix. We do a grind once every month to 6 weeks. But are feeding 3 large dogs & 2 small.

·
Registered
6 Posts
dogsavvy,
I really admire your dedication to your pooches , they're a lucky bunch, getting such high quality food.
We’re taking the lazy route and feeding ‘Titan’, their ‘blue’ recipe. The quality is an unknown, but we’re going with it,
our pup is thriving for the first time in her life!. The vet who recommended the raw diet predicted such a result. He said dogs have no business eating kibble.
How did you learn to get your dogs off of kibble?

The Titan (blue) ingredients:
chicken / beef / beef liver / turkey / beef tripe / poultry skins / eggs / fresh fish (salmon or trout) /
bone meal / wheat germ oil / vitamins and minerals

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think feeding chicken bones - even if raw - is CRAZY. People who argue otherwise aren't using their noggins.
Also, I wouldn't feed raw... for multiple reasons.

Simply prepare enough raw - per the breeder's instructions - for about a week's worth and slowly introduced cooked food as a % of the meal from the 2nd day home.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts