Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked through over 30 pages of this section and used the search function but cant find the answer so I do appologise if it is there and I missed it.

I am hoping to get a miniature poodle puppy this year (April time) and am seriously considering a RAW diet for him.

I would of course feed the food the breeder recomended for a while until the puppy had settled in etc but was wondering if it is safe to feed RAW to a puppy as I do not want to risk any growth problems or anything during this crucial stage.

I would want to do the best for my dog, is feeding a 100% natural packaged food best to start (such as nature diet or natures menu which is 60% meat with veg and rice etc as the other 40%) and then moving on to RAW when they are older better or is it ok to start out with RAW.

I would want to feed chicken wings and necks, minced chicken/beef/lamb with bone, miced tripe along with chunks of meat too and some organ meat, (I have the Ian Billinghurst book Give your dog a bone and a few other raw food books too)

I want to know if you guys recomend it for a puppy though as I would hate to cause growth problems or deformaties due to me doing it wrong....

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Our PWD was weaned onto raw food by her breeder and has eaten it ever since. She's grown up very healthy and is now 4 years old! She actually sees kibble as a treat on the rare occasions that she has it, as for her it's like cookies.

Anyway, I don't have a huge amount of knowledge about raw feeding as it's my mom who does it, but I do know it's fine for puppies.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have fed raw to puppies with no problem .. Also mixing in this dry mixture that you mention would be fine as well. I would say that you are on the right track...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is good to know, I will have to do some more research but I have plenty of time to get everything ready as the pup is not even born yet ^_^

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Dogs in the wild eat raw from puppyhood :) I'd say as long as the meat is safe your pup should be fine. (Safe meaning like.. clean since they get diseases so easily.)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I weaned a litter onto raw from the start and it was the easiest thing ever. I was kind of surprised. That puppy is no longer on raw food I don't think but I could be wrong. He was for the first year of his life at least. Never a problem.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Vinnie has been fed raw from day one - by his breeder and then by me - he is a healthy little powerhouse and almost 11 months old

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah brilliant, this is all very promising,

Is a puppy capable of chewing a chicken wing and neck?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts