Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much kibble do your spoos eat a day. Raven got 2 cups 2x a day as a puppy up to about age 2. She stopped eating that much on her own and has done very well on 1 cup in the morning and one at night. In fact, in the winter I have to be very careful or she ill gain weight on that amount. Wren is the same height as Raven, although larger boned, and is rail thin. I like my dogs a fit level of thin, but he seems too thin and is still eating 4 cups a day at 23 months old. I am wondering if after neutering he will require less food to maintain his weight. What do you all think? She has been on a grain free salmon and sweet potato until about a month ago when the cardiologist recommended Purina Pro Plan salmon and rice.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
If you are feeding kibble, I would give them as much as they will eat. That could be either in two feedings (take away whatever they don't eat) or free feed all day. Poodles do not usually over eat.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cannot free feed because Raven would eat everything not nailed down. We also have my mother’s toy mixed breed dog so feedings have to be scheduled. I guess I will just keep him on the 4 cups a day for a while and see how it goes. I also mixed a little canned food in and some water each time. Mine don’t get a lot of treats other than training because Raven gains weight very easily. He definitely eats it all I give him each time but doesn’t bother you for food or act like he is starving either.

·
Registered
450 Posts
How much kibble do your spoos eat a day. Raven got 2 cups 2x a day as a puppy up to about age 2. She stopped eating that much on her own and has done very well on 1 cup in the morning and one at night. In fact, in the winter I have to be very careful or she ill gain weight on that amount. Wren is the same height as Raven, although larger boned, and is rail thin. I like my dogs a fit level of thin, but he seems too thin and is still eating 4 cups a day at 23 months old. I am wondering if after neutering he will require less food to maintain his weight. What do you all think? She has been on a grain free salmon and sweet potato until about a month ago when the cardiologist recommended Purina Pro Plan salmon and rice.
Hoping for ideas. Charlie has allergies and itchy skin and feet and a tendency to diarrhea. So far a non gluten, no chicken diet is helping, as is added rice and pumpkin and hemp oil. He eats nearly 4 cups kibble a day, no people food. Super active 2 years old, 83 pounds. Food is left out, he nibbles only what he needs each day. I see a direct correlation between exercise and food intake. He is rock hard muscle, no fat. I was told that a raw food diet would solve the diarrhea, but he is in contact with lots of toddlers and frail elderly =nd this diet is strictly prohibited in such cases.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Poppy eats Purina Pro Plan Sport and is very fit, with good muscle structure. Lean but well muscled. She free feeds and rarely eats more than two cups per day. I feed sport because it is higher protein than other formulas and because she is crazy active she would lose weight if on a lower protein food.

Sport does come in Salmon for Sensitive Skin and Stomach and many dogs with allergy issues or tummy issues do very well on this food.

Poppy is absolutely crazy about her Purina food...she never was that entheusiastic about other foods we tried. A very nice bonus is that the food is also very economical to feed....I order on Chewy but Petsmart carries it too. Get Petsmart to match chewy prices as Petsmart prices are higher. A 37.5 lb bag lasts 94 days so there is a hole lot of food in that size bag. My cost to feed is $ .48 per day, if you can believe that!

Poppy's coat has gone from good to AMAZING in the 7 months I have had her on the Purina!

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Poppy eats Purina Pro Plan Sport and is very fit, with good muscle structure. Lean but well muscled. She free feeds and rarely eats more than two cups per day. I feed sport because it is higher protein than other formulas and because she is crazy active she would lose weight if on a lower protein food.

Sport does come in Salmon for Sensitive Skin and Stomach and many dogs with allergy issues or tummy issues do very well on this food.

Poppy is absolutely crazy about her Purina food...she never was that entheusiastic about other foods we tried. A very nice bonus is that the food is also very economical to feed....I order on Chewy but Petsmart carries it too. Get Petsmart to match chewy prices as Petsmart prices are higher. A 37.5 lb bag lasts 94 days so there is a hole lot of food in that size bag. My cost to feed is $ .48 per day, if you can believe that!

Poppy's coat has gone from good to AMAZING in the 7 months I have had her on the Purina!
Wow, thanks so much! We have to be careful about avoiding any food with lamb - because we cross the border so often and it is on the proscribed list. Hate to think what the fine would be. Can you tell me if the food smells very strong? I know that sounds like an odd question, but we had found an excellent food with salmon base that cured the runny stools issue - but the smell in our travel trailer was so overwhelming it made us gag. If you live in a tiny space for weeks and months at a time smell is a real issue. I especially appreciate the photo. And the pricing advice. Many hugs to Poppy. So enjoy hearing about her adventures. Here is a funny photo taken at the Sicamous dog park today. The little man is a Charlie in miniature, 1/10th his size IMG_20190815_1327352.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Raven's Mom, sorry, I meant to reply to you earlier. Frosty was easily eating 4 cups of food before he was 2 and he was always a little too thin. Now that he is close to 3, he is eating much less and maintaining his weight much better!
Gives me hope for the current huge food (and big Poops). For Charlie!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts