Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concerned that I am not feeding Beau enough. The breeder told me to feed him 1/3 a cup 2 times a day. Some times especially in the mornings he doesn't finish that. Usually he does though. I give him kibble (his food) for tricks as well as treats. So is this enough or does he need more?

Debby

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He definately looks healthy and plays hard. He goes to the bathroom regular. I just am so afraid of starving him or worse making him to fat. My mom has a white male poodle a miniature that weighs probably 15 pounds. He is seriously overweight. He only eats table scraps. I will never give Beau table scraps for that very reason. So do you think a 1/3 cup 2 times a day is enough for a 5.5 pound dog. I have looked every and can't find a answer.

Debby

·
Registered
157 Posts
I suggest you just monitor if he gains/loses any weight and adjust accordingly. There really isn't a set in stone guideline for how much to feed. There are generalized guidelines, but you shouldn't follow them exactly and should modify them to fit your dogs individual needs.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
If he's not even finishing his morning meal, he's being fed enough. Dogs won't starve themselves (unless there's an underlying cause).
Poodles are generally light eaters anyway, so I wouldn't be worried.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts