Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone else feeding adult dog food to their spoo puppies ? If so when do you make the switch ? How much protein are you allowing your spoo puppies to take in ?

We did this with Enzo fed him adult food then switch when he was like 6 months ( not sure when your supposed to swith this info was given to me by several breeders and handlers we talk to)

The type of food I buy for adults is going to have 34% protein. Right now the adult food I have for Leila is 22%. If I switch her to the adult with no grain its going to have a lot of protein I think as much as regular puppy food.

Evo had 42% but since proctor and gamble bought them out I will never feed them innova or Evo again.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i've been feeding temperance adult feed since 3 months old. currently she is 10 months. i have all of my dogs on wellness.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
How old is Leila? I am just now switching Millie from Innova LB Puppy to Acana Pacifica, but I don't see any reason why you can't switch to adult earlier. In fact, many LB puppy foods are actually almost the same in protein levels, calcium/phosphorus and ingredients as adult foods. I would say grain free is fine and I wouldn't worry too much about the protein levels. But, to be safe you may want to stay away from foods with 40% + protein, but a food with 30% protein or so shouldn't be a problem!

I would also check to make sure the food doesn't have excessive levels of calcium. For example, there is a Nature's Variety Grain Free formula with 2.5% calcium. I would not feed this to a growing puppy.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old is Leila? I am just now switching Millie from Innova LB Puppy to Acana Pacifica, but I don't see any reason why you can't switch to adult earlier. In fact, many LB puppy foods are actually almost the same in protein levels, calcium/phosphorus and ingredients as adult foods. I would say grain free is fine and I wouldn't worry too much about the protein levels. But, to be safe you may want to stay away from foods with 40% + protein, but a food with 30% protein or so shouldn't be a problem!

I would also check to make sure the food doesn't have excessive levels of calcium. For example, there is a Nature's Variety Grain Free formula with 2.5% calcium. I would not feed this to a growing puppy.
She is almost 5 months I think the blue buffalo adult is 22% ? I have to look but the puppy found they sell is in the 30% range. The BB wilderness is 34%

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've never bought puppy food for a puppy. I've heard larger breed dogs are better off eating adult food or an all life stage food.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts