Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this from the CDC:

CDC recommends against feeding raw food to dogs and cats because of the risk of illness to the pet as well as to people living in the household. Do not feed your pet a raw diet. Here is why: Raw diets consist of foods such as meat, poultry, milk, and eggs that have not been cooked or treated to remove harmful germs.

Dogs are not wolves - they have been eating human food for 10,000 years and have evolved to handle that diet. The best dog food companies have done studies to determine appropriate diets.

I anyone who is concerned about their dog's diet read the book Canine Nutrigenomics by Dr. W. Jean Dodds.

·
Premium Member
23,213 Posts
I agree Johanna. Dogs are not wolves and don't need to eat like wolves. Cooking works just fine for our household.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes I agree with both of you, dogs have been eating cooked for far to long to be able to safely eat raw meat, and cooking for them is not that hard to do.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I disagree. My border collie ate raw for over 16 years. All of my foster rescues are fed raw. My poodle puppy, when I can get him, will also be raw fed.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have to agree with Michigan Gal. I've been raw feeding for 15+ years. My vet isnt exactly pro raw but he told me not to change a thing. I agree dogs are not wolves. That I agree with

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
I’m also a fan of raw feeding. The FDA has a zero-tolerance policy for any harmful pathogens in commercially available raw food for pets (stricter than guidelines for human meat). Anyone eating oysters, steak tartare, or sushi is probably more at risk than raw fed dogs on a commercially available diet.

Most dogs (and cats) are able to handle bacteria as they have shorter digestive tracts. From what I can tell, humans are more at risk if the food/poop isn’t handled properly. Kibble, treats, and even prepared cooked foods have all had their fair share of recalls though.

That being said, to each their own. I advocate for variety and some fresh food no matter what you’re feeding, but I find dog food to be a particularly sensitive topic for a lot of people online.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I've avoided commenting because these topics can be very sensitive. But I agree with VanessaC that the CDC is more concerned with human health than with dog health. Our family dog was fed raw for 8 years before her death. Vets always commented that she had the health of a much younger dog. Our current vet is much more progressive and tries to be current on all the latest research. She is supportive of my dog's PMR diet. When I said he was on raw, she asked which type, and I explained it and she said "Oh good I like that one." Everybody must make their own decisions on what they can afford, what they have time for, and what they feel best meets their dog's needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts