Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tips for feeding 2 pups at a time? We've only had one dog at a time. We will be getting 2 pups end of june (same breeder, different litters, 5 days apart). The breeder let's them graze and all the pups eat from group bowls. Ive never had a grazing dog before...but apparently poodles tend to?? Any tips or advice? Would it be best to just feed them in their crates and not have to worry about any of it? Would sharing water be an issue?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would feed them separate in their crates. They can’t be allowed to take each other’s food as you need to be sure they are eating enough especially as youngsters. I do not allow any of our dogs to graze, as they get older (not puppies) if they don’t eat it all then it goes up until the next meal time. But that’s personal preference.
If you choose to let graze you have to watch to make sure one puppy isn’t keeping the other from eating.
They can probably share water as long as the bowl holds enough. If one bullies the other off the water then you make need 2 bowls.

·
Premium Member
23,600 Posts
Poodles do tend not to be gluttons and ours are not. Our GSD is also not a glutton and we used to free feed them dry food. If one of us happened by and saw that the bowl was low we would just top it off and all the dogs had very steady and normal weights and nobody cared enough about food to guard it. Then we needed to make a food change and now they are meal fed a home cooked diet.

I don't think I would free feed two puppies so close in age. I agree with feeding them separately in their crates. It has the added benefit of giving a strong positive association with the crate.

Reactions: 2BoyzNow

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Puppies benefit from having their total portion of food spread into three meals daily. This helps to keep a steady flow of nourishment into their systems. It can also have the benefit of their eliminations being more predictable, eventually.

With both my sets of two, I had separate food and water bowls. I always had to monitor their meals because in each set, there was a piggydoggy who was happy to help the slower eater out by stepping in. I have the water bowl in the center and the food bowls to the outside. For a while the stainless bowls were too big for them so I put down smaller ones of ceramic or silicone when needed. Food might be squabbled over but water wasn't usually an issue.

Reactions: 2BoyzNow

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I recently watched Ian Dunbars webinar..He says to not feed puppies in a bowl at all but to always feed their kibble as "training treats", I had heard this on another forum also where someone had problems and started doing this. Has anyone here followed that course? Sorry if a bit off topic but I'm considering doing this with our next dog. Three meals but those will be incorporated into training.

·
Super Moderator
1,810 Posts
I fed Snarky and Pogo three times a day when they were puppies and dropped it to twice a day when they were grown. However, I let them eat at their own pace. As adults they would usually eat a bit, go take a nap, and then come back to finish it later. I was fine with this grazing habit. I've heard that eating too much too fast might encourage bloat. Maybe true, maybe not, I don't think anyone knows for sure. Grazing wasn't causing any problems for me, so I saw no reason not to let it happen.

They weren't inclined to gluttony or food aggression, plus I made sure each dog got exactly the same meal. Usually they would eat about half and then go check out the other dog's bowl. As I said, neither one was protective of his food, so they would just swap or continue eating out of the same bowl together. Dogs with a different personality might have fought. Don't try to hammer square pegs into round holes.

·
Registered
474 Posts
We’ve always free fed our dogs. I usually put separate food and water in the puppy pen for puppy and then keep an eye on it. I’ve never had any pets who over eat. Mine have always tended to be grazers throughout the day. With two pups though I’d ask the breeder how they feed, if they’re used to one bowl then they’d probably be ok sharing, but if they separate with separate bowls then I’d watch more to make sure they were both eating safely. We have tried separate feedings but they just never worked for us, in the past they’d usually just share the bowl then move and share the other lol

·
Super Moderator
6,368 Posts
I recently watched Ian Dunbars webinar..He says to not feed puppies in a bowl at all but to always feed their kibble as "training treats", I had heard this on another forum also where someone had problems and started doing this. Has anyone here followed that course? Sorry if a bit off topic but I'm considering doing this with our next dog. Three meals but those will be incorporated into training.
I still do daily training with kibble, but it's different from her meal kibble to keep it exciting.

Until she was about 6 months old, we followed his recommendation to handfeed a meal or two a day. We'd generally just sit in Peggy's pen and feed her while she relaxed. She took each piece of kibble very gently and it was great for our bond.

We'd also sometimes stuff interactive toys with a meal, but she'd generally just have a blast making a mess and then ignore most of the kibble.

Dunbar also recommends stuffing kongs with kibble, but Peggy was never interested, so we stuffed them with other healthy snacks like fruit or veggies with a bit of peanut butter. Or just a chunk of frozen banana. This all factored into her daily calories.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We’ve always free fed our dogs. I usually put separate food and water in the puppy pen for puppy and then keep an eye on it. I’ve never had any pets who over eat. Mine have always tended to be grazers throughout the day. With two pups though I’d ask the breeder how they feed, if they’re used to one bowl then they’d probably be ok sharing, but if they separate with separate bowls then I’d watch more to make sure they were both eating safely. We have tried separate feedings but they just never worked for us, in the past they’d usually just share the bowl then move and share the other lol
Thank you! The breeder feeds them together from one bowl free feed style.

·
Super Moderator
1,810 Posts
Thank you! The breeder feeds them together from one bowl free feed style.
I would still start them with two separate bowls, just to make sure the slower eater has her fair chance to get a full meal. If the dominant puppy is a jerk, she will try to eat everything (and will probably then puke when it won't all fit.) Once you are sure the less dominant isn't being bullied out of her dinner you can relax a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts