Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am interested in some of the puppies posted to AKC by Sara Jane.

Does any of you have feedback? I appreciate your info!!!

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I’m not particularly fond of the look of her dogs, but the fact that she doesn’t do traditional puppy grooms, even for puppies, make it hard to see the dogs’ features. I generally don’t have a good feeling about breeders who don’t take the time to get puppies used to being groomed at a very young age. Poodles need to tolerate grooming.

There is no mention of genetic testing either, and she seems to decide on the price of the puppy based on looks, which would be a red flag to me.

Unless there is something I’m missing, I would pass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not particularly fond of the look of her dogs, but the fact that she doesn’t do traditional puppy grooms, even for puppies, make it hard to see the dogs’ features. I generally don’t have a good feeling about breeders who don’t take the time to get puppies used to being groomed at a very young age. Poodles need to tolerate grooming.

There is no mention of genetic testing either, and she seems to decide on the price of the puppy based on looks, which would be a red flag to me.

Unless there is something I’m missing, I would pass.
Great point Dechi! I appreciate your comment- I will make genetic testing and grooming in my future criteria.
Do you happen to know reliable breeders in the US west coast? We are looking for a toy poodle since we live in an apartment. I appreciate any lead!!
Best

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I just wanted to say I had the same feeling regarding Sara Jane. She seems to use the term "Teddy Bear" like it's a variety of poodle, like a buzzword. I find that highly distasteful. It's a haircut. I'm not a fan of marketing dogs like they're stuffed animals.

But also it's hard to find things to criticize when there's not much info there. More the lack of info is concerning! There's some great info in these forums (see the pinned posts) about choosing a good breeder/puppy that should steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Dech and Raindrops! It is quite a journey to find trustworthy breeders!

I am getting more educated with the help of the forum - In the beginning, I was thinking about getting a puppy from PuppySpot.com, then learned about puppy mills and all the bad stories about online pet stores. It feels a bit daunting task, but I believe I am heading in the right direction!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Thank you, Dech and Raindrops! It is quite a journey to find trustworthy breeders!

I am getting more educated with the help of the forum - In the beginning, I was thinking about getting a puppy from PuppySpot.com, then learned about puppy mills and all the bad stories about online pet stores. It feels a bit daunting task, but I believe I am heading in the right direction!
Good for you! I went through that same journey when I got my pup. There is nothing like a well bred dog from an ethical breeder that you know has done everything they can to ensure the best chance of your dog living a long and happy life with you. Even if you have to wait months and drive or fly to pick it up!

·
Premium Member
9,688 Posts
I never hesitate to ask a good breeder if they have any recommendations. They may be extra competitive in the show ring, but those I’ve contacted have been generous with names of other breeders they admire. They may know who has a litter on the ground or even those contemplating a new litter. I’m glad you’ve concluded that a companion dog from a conformation line is the way to go. Don’t be discouraged if there’s a waiting list - people drop off for many reasons. Best wishes on your search.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Mufar42 and Mfmst! I will go ahead and ask for breeder recommendations. I really appreciate generous help from everyone here!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you dodged a bullet, seadog ;)

I would look into Cindy Barker if you can travel to Utah. She has received the highest recommendations from one of my poodle friends for having beautiful dogs and having extremely high ethics. https://www.facebook.com/cynthia.p.barker.9

Also Martha at Custom Toy Poodles in Montana/TX comes very highly recommended by a friend who has two of her dogs. https://www.facebook.com/martha.carrolltalley
Really appreciate getting some specific breeder recommendations, especially from your personal network MaizieFrosty!!! I will reach out to Cindy and Martha. Thank you very much!?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I am puzzled MaizieFrosty. I went to both of the sites you linked. Maybe I am missing something, but I do not see any information about health testing their poodles, or other recommended things to look for in an excellent breeder. Are there more official websites perhaps?

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
https://custompoodles.com/. This is the website for the second person MF recommended

I couldn’t get her first link to work or find a website for Cindy Barker with poodles.

·
Super Moderator
5,103 Posts
https://custompoodles.com/. This is the website for the second person MF recommended

I couldn’t get her first link to work or find a website for Cindy Barker with poodles.
And here's Cindy's poodle page. I found the link on her personal Facebook page. No mention (at a glance) what health testing she does, but that doesn't seem like a red flag to me. I'm sure there are lots of great breeders out there who rely on word of mouth rather than maintaining a detailed online presence. In fact, a slick website can in itself be a red flag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts