Poodle Forum banner

February 2018 Photo Contest Entries

5526 Views 55 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Mufar42
First, the good news. Poodleadm PM'd me and said he was able to tweak the Poll feature so now it can handle more than 50 entries. This was a problem in January's contest and I had to split the poll. At my request, he also revised the general rules on the Sticky.

Submit your February Contest photos on this thread!

Hello! We learned a few things from our first contest for January. You also might want to look through this new thread, http://www.poodleforum.com/90-pf-mo...57041-tips-help-you-win-pf-photo-contest.html.

a) Feel free to submit up to three photo(s) in one category; just indicate which one on your post. And yes, you can submit in as many categories as you want. Be careful to not compete against yourself.

b) You may re-enter up to one previously entered photo in one category that did not win in a past contest, possibly b/c your felt the competition was usually rough, or you have enhanced the photo and think it has a better chance of winning.

c) I have combined the some of the categories that got few entries, and added one. Here are the categories now. Specify on your picture which category(s) you want to enter:

d) Entries close at Saturday at 11:59pm, Feb 24th. The Voting Poll will start shortly after and end late Tuesday Feb 27th. Winners and awards will be announced and passed out on Feb 28th.

WINNING CATEGORIES​

Action - Your pup/ adult poodle is in movement: walking, running, jumping, dancing, swimming, etc.

Cuteness - i.e., that shot that makes you go "awww...", for any age poodles.

Drama, Caption, & Meme - the picture is dramatic, tells a story, has a caption or a funny meme, for any age poodles.

Puppy - favorite pic of your puppy.

Grooming - favorite just groomed or grooming-in-process photo.

Unique Expression - this is the pic where your poodle has a really unique facial expression that goes beyond cuteness yet it's not quite dramatic, although it could be. See example in the Tips thread.

Screensaver Category - This is a new category too, and ALL photos are automatically eligible for this. This is where voters vote on the photo they'd most likely to use as a screensaver, which is quite an honor.

Good luck!
Reactions: Mfmst
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Hi, i would like to submit salvatore on meme category. Cheers
Juleshayashi, your entry brings up something I hadn't considered, which is when 2 or 3 individual pics together tell the story. In your case, each photo can be a stand alone story, but all three fill it out more.

The rule for this month's contest, like last month's, is that members will vote on each submitted photo. I don't feel comfortable changing rules since the contest already began; this could unsettle some members. However, I love your idea and will allow this for the March contest.

So in the meantime, what would like to do? You can:

1) keep your three entries and voters will choose their favorite, or
2) remove two for now, or
3) resubmit the three together for next month in the story category, and/or
4) submit something else for this month.

A fifth option would be to photo edit the three into one photo, like this:

And telling some stories here are a few.
On Post 12 of this page, Catherine uploaded four pics of two (?) different events that tell the story of Javein's success:

~The day Javelin got his CGC (at a very busy obedience trial),
~ Lily and me in the rally ring at the same show where Javelin got his CGC.

~Javelin at PCA the day he got his rally novice title (before his first birthday).
~ Lily says "got it mom. I'll show these yellow dogs how to sit nice and quiet!"

This is a similar dilemma. Again, the same suggestion for Catherine, but since she has four pics of the two events, she can also photo edit to make two pics into one, just as this one tells a story:

To everyone: sorry about this dilemma but I can't think of everything, but together we have good ideas and these contests are a work in progress.

Meanwhile please review the Tips thread, which I'll update soon.

Thanks,

Vita

· Registered
11 Posts
Juleshayashi, your entry brings up something I hadn't considered, which is when 2 or 3 individual pics together tell the story. In your case, each photo can be a stand alone story, but all three fill it out more.

The rule for this month's contest, like last month's, is that members will vote on each submitted photo. I don't feel comfortable changing rules since the contest already began; this could unsettle some members. However, I love your idea and will allow this for the March contest.

So in the meantime, what would like to do? You can:

1) keep your three entries and voters will choose their favorite, or
2) remove two for now, or
3) resubmit the three together for next month in the story category, and/or
4) submit something else for this month.

A fifth option would be to photo edit the three into one photo, like this:

On Post 12 of this page, Catherine uploaded four pics of two (?) different events that tell the story of Javein's success:

~The day Javelin got his CGC (at a very busy obedience trial),
~ Lily and me in the rally ring at the same show where Javelin got his CGC.

~Javelin at PCA the day he got his rally novice title (before his first birthday).
~ Lily says "got it mom. I'll show these yellow dogs how to sit nice and quiet!"

This is a similar dilemma. Again, the same suggestion for Catherine, but since she has four pics of the two events, she can also photo edit to make two pics into one, just as this one tells a story:

To everyone: sorry about this dilemma but I can't think of everything, but together we have good ideas and these contests are a work in progress.

Meanwhile please review the Tips thread, which I'll update soon.

Thanks,

Vita

Hi vita, i will take the 5th option, editing my story into 1 image and delete my previous post. Thank you so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Hi vita, i will take the 5th option, editing my story into 1 image and delete my previous post. Thank you so much.
Sounds like a great idea.

About deleting a post, only Poodleadmn can do this as far as I know. Not a problem though, similar situations happened last month. And, members don't vote on this thread, only on the upcoming Poll thread where they see only the final entries to vote on.

The edits and resubmissions and changes in category before the contest ended is not relevant in the Poll thread, so issues that occur in the entry thread aren't there.

*****​

To help members who do not have their own photo editing software like Adobe Photoshop, I tested LunaPic.com to see if I could create collages, where two or three photos could make one vertical or horizontal photo as a story collage.

One hour later, the short story is don't bother trying on PostImages. It's do-able, but I wasn't pleased with the results b/c there was no divider line between two pics, and I couldn't do a horizontal collage with three.

I then blew nearly two more hours after googling "collage maker" for two or more pics. I tested five different sites but ran into a garden variety of problems. Some looked quite good, but unless I scaled down (resized) a larger photo first (cell phone pics tend to be very big), they automatically crop off parts where I wanted the full sized photos to be shown. Do-able, but too many steps for me on a Sunday morning.

Thus I recommend trying out some of these free sites yourself and if you luck up on an easy one, please share.

*****​

EBAY: PF members, if you're really exploring photography for great poodle pics, you can find older versions like the 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0 Adobe Photoshop Elements from $12 to $30; just make sure:

1) The KEY comes with it!
2) It's compatible with your Windows or Mac version and that Adobe has an update on their site so it will work fine on your computer.

I have this one, as seen today on Ebay:

But you only need this one:

I replaced my desktop with Windows 7 Pro several years ago; but my Adobe 4.0 was made for Windows XP. I used the Adobe site to install the upgrade so it would run well. Just check with Adobe site first before you buy, and again, make sure it comes with the key.

There are also more current versions of PS Adobe Elements but of course they are generally in a higher price range.

· Premium Member
25,538 Posts
And telling some stories here are a few.

The day Javelin got his CGC (at a very busy obedience trial).

View attachment 430353

Lily and me in the rally ring at the same show where Javelin got his CGC.

View attachment 430361

Javelin at PCA the day he got his rally novice title (before his first birthday).

View attachment 430369

I deleted the fourth photo to fit the criteria of the contest. I can use that one another time. The three pictures above are the ones I want to submit. None of the original four pictures is related to any of the others. The two different ones of Javelin were at completely separate events. The two of Lily were also separate events.

· Premium Member
15,885 Posts
Molly has someplace to go! 'ACTION' category

Molly oh so 'DRAMA' Queen!......

Molly has the best smile for SCREEN SAVER/CUTE...............

· Premium Member
25,538 Posts
Hi Catherine,

I want to be clear so I don't screw this up, so please confirm. You want to submit the three photos in the drama/storytelling/caption/meme category to be voted on individually?

That is correct. There is no connected story between those pictures.

· Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Having trouble uploading image

Hi - I click on the paperclip icon, but the browse screen does not come up. Nothing happens. Any idea why this could be happening?

· Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Sorry Vita - I guess I finally got the attachment to work but don't know how to post the picture inside the post instead of as an attachment. Hope you can work on this for me for the poll or let me know if I am doing something wrong. True amateur here, photos baffle me.

· Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Asta's Mom, Hmm, I can't see it either and don't know why.

Option 1: Contact the PF Administrator (Poodleadm) or a moderator. I don't know who the moderators are.

Option 2: A quick fix is to open a free account at PostImage.org. They have never emailed me and your pics don't expire unless you select that option. You don't have to use the default album either, you can start a different album by typing in the name of it where it says 'Create new gallery.'

After you upload your photo, just click on the 'Hotlink to forums' to copy the address, and past on your post here. Then here, click on 'Preview Post' button to make sure it came through.

Make sure you never delete any photos that you've hotlinked here; like any storage photo sites, they probably won't show up on those posts if you do.

· Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Asta blames MysticRealm - 2nd try

Caption: Aww Mom, why do I have to have so many bands in my hair? I'm not a show dog. Mom just reads too many posts from MysticRealm - sigh.

Category: Grooming

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.