Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mitch had his feet shaved to cut down on tracking in mud, and I just realized how LONG his nails are. I DO NOT like it. I can just make out where his quicks are on most nails and they're pretty long, so I am going to invest in a dremel.
I've read that pedi-paws doesn't work with thick large dog nails, but I have no experience with a dremel and if possible would like to get one designed for dogs.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I would just go to Menard's or Lowe's or whatever big hardware store you have and get a Dremel (that is the brand name). I have the cordless one now and LOVE it. I had the corded one for years and gave it to my folks for their dogs - it's still going strong and it probably almost 20 years old!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Locket,

I used the pedi-paws on Grace when she was a puppy. We have graduated to the Master Grooming tools grinder model #10011 from Petedge. I love it, it literally takes seconds to do. She is funny about her back feet, so I tie her ears up and smear peanut butter on a saucer. By the time she has had a few licks, I am done!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I use a cordless Dremel Mini Mite. It's at least 5 years old so they may not sell that exact model anymore. I'm sure there is newer and better ones available. I got mine at Home Depot.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I have been snooping for one of these... All of my dogs nails bleed when I cut them, and it horrifies me.. So I have a cordless one that works.. But not like I would like it too. So the Dremel sounds like the name of the game then? Do they all have to use the sanding disk or do any of them have actual head like a Dremel itself What is best?

·
Registered
578 Posts
They are interchangeable. Some people prefer the sanding discs but I like the stone grinders. You can get them in different shapes and sizes (they're the orange colored ones). They will get hot if you grind too long on one nail so go carefully.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
They are interchangeable. Some people prefer the sanding discs but I like the stone grinders. You can get them in different shapes and sizes (they're the orange colored ones). They will get hot if you grind too long on one nail so go carefully.
So the getting hot part , do the sanding disks help with this ? I do remember waaaaay back i had a fellow dog show person that had one of these and it got very hot you could smell it...So yes i would be careful . It has to be etter than the clippers..

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I would just go to Menard's or Lowe's or whatever big hardware store you have and get a Dremel (that is the brand name). I have the cordless one now and LOVE it. I had the corded one for years and gave it to my folks for their dogs - it's still going strong and it probably almost 20 years old!
I picked mine up today!! Thanks:)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I have a $20 cordless dremel from walmart. It does the job, but it's not as strong as the more expensive ones.
I have the Dremel from WalMart but not the cordless one. It's very very powerful and does a good job but boy it's super loud.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I use my mom's cordless Craftsman (Sears brand) dremel. It is great and has a low and high setting that both work wonders. I haven't done it on Perry yet, but it worked great on TQ and TheGrey.

Let me just say, that TheGrey's nails were attrocious, they are short and beautiful now!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I must admith that with only be able to take the tippies off of mine they are starting to look like eagle talons So the Dremel is coming to live with me right quick.. I think i like the cordless idea...

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I must admith that with only be able to take the tippies off of mine they are starting to look like eagle talons So the Dremel is coming to live with me right quick.. I think i like the cordless idea...
LOL! That was Olie!! He is looking much better and it is really quick and painless!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Tht is really good to know ... I really appreciate the advise as I did not know which one to buy .. I already have a cordless that is really pretty worthless...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Well done they look great. I'm going to try my husbands dremel on Sport. He hates getting his nail trimmed and therefore they are awful. I'm hoping that this will work better.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll be getting the Mini Mite cordless dremel. Too bad I have to wait til christmas...:(
Fluffyspoos, great looking nails!!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I like grinding nails so much better than cutting them.. it looks so much better. Here's my dogs after just doing hers.
Wow thanks for the photo they look fabulous.. I am going shopping for this and for the stuff that roxy told me about ..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts