Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite weight for a toy poodle? Navy is a little over 9 lbs. I tend to think he is the Mary Poppins of dogs: “practically perfect in every way.” As president of the Navy fan club, it is only right that I feel that way.

However, I have a sore shoulder and I’ve been thinking when the time is right to add another poodle to my life I might want to go a bit smaller. So, what are your thoughts, toy poodle lovers? What for you is the perfect size?

(This post is for fun, I would never pick a puppy strictly on size).

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
I will play
I like my toy poodles over sized around 10 pounds, my current pups are Beatrice 9 pounds, Pia is 8 pounds and little Leonard who at 14 months is 5 pounds 14 ounces

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I prefer the smaller size as you can grab and go. Mine are 3.5 (perfect) 5 ok, 6.5 was 7.5 a couple of years agoa little larger than I prefer

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I love the portability of a 5-6 lb. dog, but for health and sturdiness reasons, I think 7-10 lbs. is ideal. That would be a very oversized toy.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I have Merlin, 5-6 pounds and Beckie, about 8 pounds. I like Beckie’s sturdiness but I like Merlin’s weight better.

Merlin feels so light compared to her. She feels like brick and he feels like cotton.

My favorite weight would then be 4-5 pounds.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Poppy is around 9lbs - I can lift her easily with one hand, although I would not want to carry her for miles. Sophy is a pound or two lighter, and is certainly easier to carry. I do prefer the slightly oversize toys - they look and feel just that bit more robust and athletic. I met an oversize papillon who was a delightful dog, and would have been a brilliant agility prospect.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I have never had any problem with the smaller ones. When I get them I train them to walk behind me or back aways and to the side, so as not to step or trip over them, but I think those little ones sense not to be in from of someone. Knock on wood mine have never gotten hurt or broken anything, but they are lap dogs, they do not run outside (inside yes), so they are totally cuddled even to the point of not jumping up, except Sage she did it when I got her, but she is all legs, but only on the sofa not the bed

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I have never had any problem with the smaller ones. When I get them I train them to walk behind me or back aways and to the side, so as not to step or trip over them, but I think those little ones sense not to be in from of someone. Knock on wood mine have never gotten hurt or broken anything, but they are lap dogs, they do not run outside (inside yes), so they are totally cuddled even to the point of not jumping up, except Sage she did it when I got her, but she is all legs, but only on the sofa not the bed
I think we, as owners of small dogs, learn to drag our feet as well. It’s rare, but when my dogs are in the way, I never step on them, I push them with my feet, because of thé way I walk. I must have started doing that a long, long time ago, when I had my first Yorkie, or maybe baby Boston Terrier.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
If I were to do it over again (don't let Molly overhear this) I would love to have a 'purse puppy' that was under 5lbs

My sweetheart Molly is a mini sized 14 lbs and a perfect size as far as not having to worry about portability or fragility!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s interesting to hear everyone’s thoughts on this. It’s both a personal (cuteness) and practical (fragility) issue.

I have heard that below a certain weight (5 lbs?) that hypoglycemia and other medical issues are more common. Is this true?

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cricket (1.5y) is 3.08 lb (1.4 kg), and Pixie (2.5y) is 3.75 lb (1.7 kg).
Both dogs are perfect, but I do wish Cricket was a little bit bigger - but she more than makes up for it in personality (she thinks she is 30 lb). I do agility with both, and they both do well. That being said, I am very careful with ensuring the jumps are set at the right height for them etc.
Mine have had no health issues, but they weren't bred to be tiny (the rest of Cricket's litter were 6-8 lb - she just stopped growing early on).

Oh and just wanted to add - absolutely no injuries. But as others have said, I think they learn to stay out of the way. I had bells on them when they were pups. I have stairs for them to get up / down from the couch, and I always lift them in and out of the car.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I think I would like about 6 -8 lbs. I had shih tzu years ago, one was 5-6 lbs, perfect the other at 12 #. A bit heavier is a sturdier dog and better for family. Yesterday I was in PetsMart and a lady was holding a maltese, at first I thought it was a stuffed animal, it coat was long, brushed and it had a bow, it was just hanging on her arm. But it was real I've never seen anything so small , it could not have weighed over 2 lbs and it was a year old. Its coat didn't look great to me, a bit thin and it really looked a bit off, for the breed but very cute. She said she had to be very careful with it, and had to hold it and watch so it doesn't fall off a couch if she is sitting with it. It just hung like a purse on her arm. While I like a dog that size I would never own one, too much of a worry . I am fairly sure a dog txt small will have some health issued down the line.

·
Registered
47 Posts
our toy is 6 pounds and sometimes 61/2 pounds. Easy to pick her up and carry when on longer walks. she will keep looking up at me till I pick her up. I can say "up" and she turns sideways so I can easily scoop her up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Jazzy has hovered around 5lb throughout her life -- I don't think she ever got quite to 6lb and has been a little under 5lb the past few years, nice and healthy (she's 13, turns 14 this March).

Much as I love her and think she's absolutely perfect I do like them a tad bit bigger because Jazzy has no buffer. I mean, she's just the right size but there's no "extra", and tiny fluctuations have big impacts! That means we have to be ultra-careful with her food (she has nasty recurring pancreatitis and a chicken allergy): the tiniest changes, a tiny bit "too much" and it can hurt her, so we have to be precise. She's needed IV fluids on enough occasions that the vet just taught my parents to give them and sent home a bag last time. That's a lot scarier to do on a tiny poodle than on my 50lb boxer mix (on whom I learned to give IV fluids, with a lot less terror inserting that needle than my needle-phobic dad had with our precious Jazzy). Jazzy is a sturdy little dog in many ways; she's stubborn, wildly intelligent, funny, and bouncy, but I have to admit she is delicate in reality.

When we have hurricane remnants (I live in MA and we can get not-actually-hurricane-but-significant winds sometimes) we don't let her in the yard off-leash because we have the probably irrational worry that she'll get blown over.

So, I love my less than 5lb Jazzy, but it's sometimes harder with her than with even a few pounds bigger. Everything is more extreme, more dramatic. I think we wouldn't notice the size difference between her and our 10lb AJ as much if Jazzy didn't have her pancreatitis and thus need such extreme care in her diet and have potential for swings in her health.

BTW her health issues are probably unrelated to her size-- she's otherwise quite healthy but that wasn't entirely luck, her breeder was lovely and did a great job.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I’m definitely biased but my little guy is 3.5 lbs and he’s perfect!

I agree I lean toward my 3.5 lb girl as well. My 5LB has such long legs she seems bigger than she is. And Bella is 6.5 lb big difference in carrying them someplace. My 3.5 and my 5 lb both were extra small in panties.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts