Poodle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was getting a lot of hate privately for my dog’s diet, which I knew wasn’t good from the start. I’ve always been ashamed to discuss my dog’s diet with the vet or other people because it has been pretty horrible for the most part 😂. they went from cesar canned and dry food, to human food, to fast food everyday, and now blue buffalo which I love!!! it has a very potent smell of chicken or fish I can’t even distinguish between the two but the first ingredient is chicken and upon testing both dogs devoured it and left no crumbs.

This is a huge momment for us because up until now they’ve been eating wendy’s, burger king, mcdonalds, chick fil a, bacon & eggs, baby food, yo plait yogurt, and chicken & rice for the past 2-3 weeks. I know alarm bells are going off in your guy’s heads but trust me they both would not eat. I literally tried everything!! I do not cut corners when it comes to my babies. they were on some sort of hunger strike and didnt eat for atleast 3 days straight at one point even when offered food.

Bucielle’s vet told me she was underweight and could feel her spine, I had no other choice but to give in and get something I know they’ll eat. I didn’t even want to spend money on fast food everyday for only Dior and Bucielle. it was ridiculous, Bucielle would only eat chick fil a nuggets and dior primarily lived on fish fillet with extra tarter sauce.

But aside from this horror story I went through with them, I’ve finally reached the eye of the storm I bought new bowls, blue buffalo wet and dry puppy food and they really love it I even caught Bucielle eating the kibble pieces which she would never normally touch. I highly recommend it to anyone with picky poodles. I just mix the wet and dry food together put a little water on it and microwave for 15 seconds and the dogs devour it.
Here are some pictures of the haul from our petsmart run. THE BOWLS ARE SOO CUTE!!!!
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Dog supply Companion dog

Dishware Pink Tableware Cup Serveware
Tableware Drinkware Dishware Cup Coffee cup

·
Registered
547 Posts
Winnie would think she had died and gone to heaven if she could eat junk food every day :ROFLMAO:.
I have food she likes but she still doesn't always finish it. I have stopped worrying about it as she is a healthy weight and I know she likes the food.
She only eats one meal a day now. She will ignore the food if I put it down any time throughout the day. Early evening is when she wants it. About 4 days in the week she finishes the whole bowl, the other days she always leaves some :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
24,640 Posts
Good for making those changes, especially for Dior since she is pregnant and has to nourish herself well to be able to nourish her puppies.

One thing my vet said when Lily was a pup at her first well visit (and he is a poodle person himself0 was that I would never have to worry about her getting fat was to not feed junky people food. I now home cook for our dogs and have done so for about 5 years so they eat only people food, but ina well balanced diet. He was right about no junk food meaning no fat poodles for sure though.

Reactions: diorthebaddest

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good for making those changes, especially for Dior since she is pregnant and has to nourish herself well to be able to nourish her puppies.

One thing my vet said when Lily was a pup at her first well visit (and he is a poodle person himself0 was that I would never have to worry about her getting fat was to not feed junky people food. I now home cook for our dogs and have done so for about 5 years so they eat only people food, but ina well balanced diet. He was right about no junk food meaning no fat poodles for sure though.
yes her being pregnant was the main factor in this decision, the blue buffalo puppy formula has great reviews. and I’ve seen obese dogs before and it is literally a form of animal cruelty that not many talk about.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Winnie would think she had died and gone to heaven if she could eat junk food every day :ROFLMAO:.
I have food she likes but she still doesn't always finish it. I have stopped worrying about it as she is a healthy weight and I know she likes the food.
She only eats one meal a day now. She will ignore the food if I put it down any time throughout the day. Early evening is when she wants it. About 4 days in the week she finishes the whole bowl, the other days she always leaves some :rolleyes:
awww Winnie sounds like such a sweet girl, and haha my girls did go crazy for the junk for a while then just got used to the big mac’s 😂😂.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
I’m glad you changed their horrible diet to this one. Feeding fast food to a dog will end up killing them.

Just be aware that they have been used to having it their way and learned that a hunger strike = new food. So when they stop eating, don’t give in. Just let them be and eventually they will understand you are no more giving in.

My 5 lbs toy is anxious and when we go to my mom‘s, he sometimes doesn’t eat, or very little, for 3 whole days. He’s done that for years. So yours can too. Just be strong and don’t give in.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m glad you changed their horrible diet to this one. Feeding fast food to a dog will end up killing them.

Just be aware that they have been used to having it their way and learned that a hunger strike = new food. So when they stop eating, don’t give in. Just let them be and eventually they will understand you are no more giving in.

My 5 lbs toy is anxious and when we go to my mom‘s, he sometimes doesn’t eat, or very little, for 3 whole days. He’s done that for years. So yours can too. Just be strong and don’t give in.
I’m also very glad!!! going thru drive thru’s everyday just to feed them was exhausting. I’m definitely not ever going to give in this time around the blue buffalo food was a bit pricey and this is their final option for meal time 😂.

·
Super Moderator
11,721 Posts
I’m glad you’ve got their diets on track. The “extra tartar sauce” bit alarmed me, as onions are toxic to dogs, and your dogs are very small. It wouldn’t take much to do serious harm. I imagine onion powder is also an ingredient in some of the other items you listed.

If you were actually feeding them ingredients like that, I’d be setting your ego aside and letting your vet know. They may recommend doing blood work to ensure all is well.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m glad you’ve got their diets on track. The “extra tartar sauce” bit alarmed me, as onions are toxic to dogs, and your dogs are very small. It wouldn’t take much to do serious harm. I imagine onion powder is also an ingredient in some of the other items you listed.

If you were actually feeding them ingredients like that, I’d be setting your ego aside and letting your vet know. They may recommend doing blood work to ensure all is well.
I’m not sure to be honest, both dogs are doing great they haven’t been eating like that for atleast 4 days almost a week. and I did do some research according to google there is traces of onion powder in the seasoning but it is not enough to be significant. also Dior lives in an afro latino household so she is pretty used to all the exotic spices we cook with. But the dogs are eating strictly dog food now with a little bit of scrambled or boiled eggs mixed in. I’ll talk to my vet in maybe a few weeks about doing blood work I just don’t think it would be beneficial now because whats done is done.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
But the dogs are eating strictly dog food now with a little bit of scrambled or boiled eggs mixed in.
I wouldn’t do that. As soon as you stop putting the eggs in, or they get bored of it, they’ll stop eating.

Keep the treats separated from the dog food, and make sure you only feed treats when they have eaten their own food (you don’t want them to fill up on treats). Or else this circle of not eating will start again and only be harder to break next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.