Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://nationalpurebreddogday.com/dogs-gertrude-stein-alice-b-toklas/

Gertrude Stein, and her partner, Alice B Toklas, were keen on white purebred Poodles, owning three in succession all named “Basket.”

“I am I because my little dog knows me, even if the little dog is a big one”

The first Poodle, a Standard, was bought at a dog show in Paris and named, “Basket” by Toklas who thought he was so fashionable, he should carry a basket of flowers in his mouth (he never did). Stein, completely smitten with the dog, insisted he be bathed in sulfur water each day.

·
Premium Member
23,161 Posts
This is fun, I think we do it periodically when one of us sees a poodle mentioned in a press piece or online item or see a movie featuring a poodle. Everytime it comes up I learn of a well known poodle I hadn't heard of.

I will add John Steinbeck's Charley of course...

Reactions: Skylar and Moni

·
Premium Member
6,530 Posts
There is Leonard the heavy metal loving Standard Poodle in "Secret life of Pets"

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
This is fun, I think we do it periodically when one of us sees a poodle mentioned in a press piece or online item or see a movie featuring a poodle. Everytime it comes up I learn of a well known poodle I hadn't heard of.

I named my first standard poodle after Steinbek's Charley - Ch. Jaylee Charley Black. He was the most wonderful dog one could imagine. Sadly he died very young (age 4). I mourned him for years.

Here is an old photo of him probably in 1978. My daughter is showing him - she was 14 at the time. She groomed him, too! When she showed him at Westminister a TV reporter was hugely impressed by a teenager grooming a standard poodle, so they did a special TV segment on them - sadly on a channel that I did not have access to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,161 Posts
Wow Johanna your daughter was quite tall even as a youngster. I guess she didn't get that height from you. It is too bad you didn't get to see the interview.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I saw the photo and Basket was mentioned but not his breed so I looked it up and sure enough he was a Poodle and apparently one in a long line of Poodle (all named the same - which is something that always freaks me out....my sister does it but I for the likes of me can't imagine calling all my dogs by the same name!)

·
Premium Member
9,688 Posts
Take a look at the Wikipedia entry for Fufu, “Air Chief Marshall” of Thailand. He was a white mini and owned by the Crown Prince of Thailand. He died at 17 and had a four day Buddhist funeral. Of course he did!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Following on the naming poodles in media, they're not famous perse, but I had always loved Georgette from Oliver and Friends, and Daphne in Look Who's Talking Now.:giggle:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Judge Jeanine Perro has Standard Poodles. I know she has Lancelot. One of her Standard Poodles passed & she adopted another & everyone was encouraging her to name her Lady Guinevere. Her SPOO Mikki passed away not long ago. Any time you see her Poodles they are beautifully groomed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts