Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Peggy's not showing any obvious physical symptoms (no belly or nipples changes, etc.), but she's definitely a bit funny at the moment:

• Sleeping deeply during the day, with her face buried, which is unusual for her.
  • Has a sort of "depressed" vibe (my husband thinks I'm nuts, but I swear I can sense it).
  • Her resource guarding, which has been extremely rare, has abruptly ratcheted up in both frequency and intensity, to the point where I thought I might get bit today....over a clump of grass. (I was not taking her seriously—it was a clump of grass!!—but absolutely should have.)
  • She also has a pungent sweet smell to her, which she typically only has first thing in the morning when she emerges from her crate. But now I swear it's all the time. Again, my husband is oblivious, but I I'm sensitive to these things! ¯\(ツ)
The timing is right on for false pregnancy. Does this require a trip to the vet? I also don't want to miss any pyometra symptoms, but she seems healthy and alert when she's not snoozing, and still gets excited to go for walks, etc. Maybe the lack of classes and socialization is becoming an issue? Such bad timing, developmentally, for her to be isolated. :(

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Can’t help you with the false pregnancy but I adore the sleeping beauty photo. So cute.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
It could well be - the resource guarding in particular is something to watch. Perhaps put away any toys that might become puppy substitutes for a few weeks.

I don't think you need to see the vet unless there are signs of pyometra - thirst, lethargy, etc. False pregnancy is practically normal, and there isn't much to be done about it except wait it out. Sophy typically has a few not very hungry mornings about three weeks after her fertile date - I note that sort of thing in my online calendar in case it develops into something more serious, so it was easy to see a pattern emerge. Then she is a little more clingy, until eventually her mammary glands swell and she produces milk for a few weeks. She can sometimes be a bit low, but these days mostly takes it all in her stride. If Peggy's discharge stopped around day 18-20 and her most fertile day was 9, which would be typical, that would put her at about 8 weeks "pregnant", so she is close to the peak and her hormones should soon return to anoestrus levels.

Reactions: townferret

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh! Thank you, fjm! She's been eating very little the past two days, unless we offer her something extra tasty.

Whether it's false pregnancy or not, I'm betting she's on a hormonal roller coaster right now....and we're on it with her! Adolescence is all highs and lows.

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Do keep watching for pyometra - unlikely in a young dog in her first cycle, but as you know an emergency if it does develop.

Reactions: Vee

·
Registered
97 Posts
When Noodle had false pregnancy she was taking all her toys and sitting on them.
We had to sneak them away from her because she kept pawing them and crying because they weren't moving.
It was a sad few days.
Noodle was a bit frantic, and she had no appetite- It did not last long.

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do keep watching for pyometra - unlikely in a young dog in her first cycle, but as you know an emergency if it does develop.
She gets many belly rubs per day, and so far does not seem to suspect that I'm often just checking her for swelling.

I think if she's ever not up for play or a walk, I'll whisk her straight back to the clinic. Even from these abnormally deep sleeps, she'll still launch herself off the couch if she suspects one of us is up for something fun.

She did have that day of discharge, two weeks ago, which prompted an emergency visit to be safe. So I've been watching her like a hawk since then. It's tough, as she's never been much into meal times, so a serious lapse in appetite may not be apparent. She has been drinking a lot from her crate's water bowl before bed, but I think that's because we've been getting better about keeping the toilet lids closed. (Such a gross habit, Peggy!) Her daily intake remains unchanged.

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When Noodle had false pregnancy she was taking all her toys and sitting on them.
We had to sneak them away from her because she kept pawing them and crying because they weren't moving.
It was a sad few days.
Noodle was a bit frantic, and she had no appetite- It did not last long.
That might break my heart!

Frantic is definitely the word I'd use to describe Peggy today. In between deep snoozings, she was very ON. Even her simple little training sessions, which I do for about a minute a few times per day, were hilariously over the top. She sent her large indoor exercise pen skittering across the floor twice with the force of her enthusiasm when I gave her a simple "In" command. And she was briefly terrified of some boring old birds flying overhead in the backyard...but then made a game of pouncing on their shadows.

I'm not sure how people manage human teenagers. This poodle's a lot. 😂

Hoping, like Noodle, she settles again quickly.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Whether it's false pregnancy or not, I'm betting she's on a hormonal roller coaster right now....and we're on it with her! Adolescence is all highs and lows.
She probably is. All bitches have hormones released after their season has ended that prepares the body for pregnancy so they act as though they are pregnant wether they are mated or not. This tends to wear off by 6 weeks. If Peggy isn’t showing physical signs hopefully she will be back to her usual self soon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Frantic is definitely the word I'd use to describe Peggy today. In between deep snoozings, she was very ON. Even her simple little training sessions, which I do for about a minute a few times per day, were hilariously over the top. She sent her large indoor exercise pen skittering across the floor twice with the force of her enthusiasm when I gave her a simple "In" command. And she was briefly terrified of some boring old birds flying overhead in the backyard...but then made a game of pouncing on their shadows.
I would advise you to hold off on the training sessions for now. (I know they are just a minute at a time,)
You don't want to have her associate her frantic-ness with the commands in the future.
This is a time, like we said in horseworld, she is "off her feed"- so you want to tolerate and ignore behaviors now.

For Noodle there was a deep sense of loss and
confusion, but we just let her do what she had to and it passed within days.

The human version can last a decade- I survived it. ugh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts