Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a member on here already, but thought it best to go anonymous since this is such a sensitive topic. I recently learned that the half uncle of my puppy carries F/IC, as does that dogs' father. I will give all the dogs pseudo names to make it easier to understand. Ok, so my pup "Avery" comes from F/F parents, "Brandy" and "Jax" . Brandy was sired by "Spot", as was "Rufus". Rufus passed a IC gene onto one of his pups which was discovered after it had a DNA panel done. Sooooo now I'm worried that MY pup is affected by this because the common ancestor, Spot, also carries it. My understanding is that IC could have only come in through an outcross to another breed of dog, whether intentional or not. Which would mean all descendants will have their AKC registration revoked, right? We're talking possibly hundreds of dogs because from talking to Spot's breeders they think it may have been his sire. Which was a UKC CH and a VERY popular stud. How would AKC handle this? How would I report it? Thank you for your help!!

·
Premium Member
6,418 Posts
Breeds: Many: Portuguese Waterdog, Lagotta Romagnolo , Poodle, “Doodles”, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Dachshund, Brussels Griffon, Chinese Crested Dog, German Wirehair Pointer, Havana Silk, Havanese, Irish Terrier, Schnauzer, Scottish Terrier, Tibetan Terrier, etc.

Samples Accepted: Blood, Buccal Swabs

Trait Information: Improper Coat/Furnishings is a trait of hair length and texture. Dogs with one or two copies of the allele have distinctive long eyebrow and mustache hair. In breeds in which the trait is desirable, this phenotype is known as “Furnishings”. In other breeds, the trait is expected; a deviation from it is a fault, and it is termed “improper coat”.

Inheritance Information: IC-F is autosomal dominant, meaning that animals with just one copy of this allele will show the phenotype, and 50% of their offspring will also show this trait. Animals with 2 copies of the allele will also show the trait, but 100% of their offspring will show the trait.

The possible genotypes are:
ic-f/ic-f The dog has improper coat (no furnishings), and it cannot produce offspring with furnishings unless bred to another dog with furnishings.

ic-f/IC-F The dog has furnishings (longer eyebrow and mustache hair), but 50% of its offspring may lack furnishings (show improper coat).

IC-F/IC-F The dog has furnishings (longer eyebrow and mustache hair), and cannot produce offspring without this trait (ie. will not produce any offspring with improper coat).

Recommendations:
– All dogs can be used for breeding, to maintain breed diversity. Dogs with improper coat/no furnishings (ic-f/ic-f) should be bred to dogs with two copies of the furnishings allele (IC-F/IC-F) in order for all offspring to have normal coats (furnishings). Breeding to a dog with furnishings but heterozygous for the trait (IC-F/ic-f) will produce 50% pups with normal (furnished) coats and 50% with improper (unfurnished) coats.

Test Information: This mutation test identifies an insertion in the RSPO2 gene.

Vaysse, A., Ratnakumar, A., Derrien, T., Axelsson, E., Rosengren Pielberg, G., Sigurdsson, S., Fall, T., Seppälä, E.H., Hansen, M.S., Lawley, C.T., Karlsson, E.K.: Identification of genomic regions associated with phenotypic variation between dog breeds using selection mapping. PLoS Genet 7:e1002316, 2011. Pubmed reference: 22022279. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1002316.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm reading that correctly you are saying that F/F is NOT actually fixed in poodles, and that it's possible for two purebred poodles to be bred together and produce a puppy with NO furnishings if they are both F/f . Because that would be a huge relief.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
If I'm reading that correctly you are saying that F/F is NOT actually fixed in poodles, and that it's possible for two purebred poodles to be bred together and produce a puppy with NO furnishings if they are both F/f . Because that would be a huge relief.

I'm just an observer of this posting and wanted to thank you for this question.

It was the closest thing that I could comprehend and after focusing my research to figure out what "F/F" meant I had a "haha" moment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're certainly welcome. I'm asking all of the poodle people I know, and it's really just a hard thing to explain. I'm glad I was able to phrase it in a way that helped you be able to understand my question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts