Poodle Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree completely even with my confession of having recently told a person at Lowes that Lily was "working." I was careful not to say she was a service dog and let the woman draw her own conclusion, which honestly was probably that she was a service dog. She really had been working with me that day and I just didn't have the heart to make her wait in the car for me. also every other person who works at this particular Lowes has always made her feel welcome with no explanation needed. On hot days I have spoken with employees there who have said something along the lines of "we are so glad when we see people bring their dogs in on hot days."

I would never "fake" taking her places like planes, restaurants, etc under the guise of her being a service dog. Just like with a handicapped license plate for parking, faking it can be cruel to those who really need that accommodation. Having watched many clearly able bodied people park in handicapped spaces over the years while also watching my own dad (he was a Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart decorated veteran of the Pacific theatre in WWII, now buried in the sacred ground at Arlington) struggle to get in and out of his car makes that a hot button issue for me and the service dog problem is an exact parallel.

I once had to explain to a woman who had put a dog bed into a supermarket shopping cart for her little poo something that unless the dog was a working service dog it wasn't allowed in the store! She was very surprised, but I explained that it was a public health law and she said thank you very much and promptly returned the dog and the bed to her car (and thankfully it wasn't a hot day).
Lowe’s is pet friendly. Home Depot is not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's the problem in a nutshell. 'Heart' doesn't enter into my decision to leave Tonka in the car. He will wait where I leave him. He doesn't care.

I might not have taken 'working' as an answer. If she doesn't have a vest on, and you tell me she is 'working'... I would probably laff. If she does have a vest on, I might ask what she is working at... and be looking carefully at the wording on her vest to see if it matches.

I despise scammers... out to get 'just a little more' for themselves.

Not you, Lily... just people in general.
In the US, service dogs are not required to have a vest or any other visual sign designating then as such.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts