Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since the first reports of how FB allowed infiltration for ads paid for in rubles to American markets and designed to interfere in our 2016 election started appearing I have been thinking on and off about closing my account. I don't use it much and definitely don't think of FB as a reliable source of news (Washington Post, New York Times, Wall Street Journal thank you very much), but for the things I do use it for it is really very convenient.

Now of course come new reports about how out of touch Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg are with what FB actually has been doing in terms of oppo research and such. Their lack of willing acceptance for responsibility for the harm that their juggernaut has fostered is terribly distasteful and down right kind of scary. This has me thinking once again about disconnecting from it.

What do you all think about this stuff?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I don’t FB — one of my colleagues pointed out the details in the user agreement and I couldn’t live with that. BTW, I work in a STEM field and have no problem with information technology.

A Frontline program aired recently about Facebook, showing early interviews with the founders, how they made decisions that favored expansion over security.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/facebook-dilemma/

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
To me Facebook is what it is. I do not take things seriously unless I find it someplace else, verified. Social media needs some restraints on it. As I feel it does influence some people,as you see when they share a post to find out it is false.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the problems though with sharing of "fake news" is that it never really goes away. There are all sorts of ancient posts, links and documents about the research of a scientist who had claimed to find a link between measles vaccines and autism. His research was found to be fraudulent and the journal Nature where the research had been published retracted it in its entirety and the man lost his medical license, but people still believe and can still finds his claims online. This is not necessarily specific to FB, but a general issue of free and unvetted information.

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
I intentionally decided not to join when I noticed that many of my peers were using it to stalk their kids, and friend their kids’ friends. I had the talk with my son about inappropriate posts or images potentially wrecking a career/reputation. A lot of his millennial friends, including DS and DIL have closed their accounts in recent years, citing it as a ‘time suck’ and for the “olds”.

As for the data breaches, sales to the Russians and the latest charges about FB’s senior management, I am appalled. The “olds” and “young’s” in government better learn how to regulate social media and those mega rich social media companies need to exert much better control over the use of their platforms and the privacy of their users if they want to avoid the heavy hand of government regulation.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I don't do Facebook and sometimes that's a problem. I joined once a few years ago and found it a huge time suck. I prefer to be active in forums like PF instead of Facebook. I also prefer to go to trusted news sources and not be inundated by Facebooks indiscrimate news.

It is horrible that claims such as those about vaccinations causing Autism still circulate and still influence people today long after the research was found to be fraudulent. We can't stop our brain from being infected with misinformation, but we can try to limit it.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I am on FB but only in a limited way to mostly communicate with friends and family as I don't use a smartphone or twitter or all that stuff........Any groups I join are usually dog related....(and there sure are a lot of ignorant dog people there too!LOL)

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
I did join FB in order to access a local lost and found pets page, but locked my account down as tightly as possible and rarely if ever visited my own page - I have now forgotten my password and never log in. Since the European privacy directive came into force and websites I visit have to give me the option of opting out of tracking it has become even more obvious just how far the tentacles extend - a harmless, chatty looking site can be passing my details to a dozen analytic sites, and a hundred "commercial partners", each of which shares it again, and so on and on. It is the price of using the internet, I suppose, but I do all I can to limit and obstruct the intrusions into my privacy. I am old enough and quaint enough to believe I have a right NOT to share the minutiae of my life!

Social media has replaced "a man down the pub" as a source of unreliable information, it seems... It is now so pervasive that I fact check practically everything before paying much attention to it - but then I always did!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
To me facebook is just social networking. I don't take anything political or news worthy from it. I take that stuff as just someones opinion on a certain subject or as a way they express their pleasure or displeasure about a situation. Sort of like venting. For me I like to see pictures of my friends & family as so many live long distances and I just wouldn't see them. I have thought about getting rid of FB but I like to vent at times and I also like to hear other opinions. I think one people just take a social network too seriously, it wasn't set up to be factual but as a way to communicate different ideas. At least that is how I see it.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My obedience club and the AKC rally nationals are the two main reasons I reluctantly created an FB account and are why I wrestle with keeping it open or not.

I do like looking at the impressive photos of our local bald eagles in that group a couple of times a week too.

Mfmst, I am glad you talked to your son about being careful with what kinds of pics he posts. I have been at STEM career events for employers and educators where the employers have implored the educators to try to get our students to understand that if they have drunken or otherwise debauched pics on FB or Instagram, etc. they will never pass a security background check.

fjm I hope the European privacy standards continue to influence US based networking sites. When those privacy standards were launched I got lots of new terms of use/privacy settings notices from sites I subscribe to.

As to young people and FB they mostly have little interest in it. My nieces both have FB pages, but rarely check in on them. My older niece has a blog and she does a fair amount of communication on Instagram (which I don't have, so we text to talk to each other). I recently had a visit from a former student who had been a sort of angry and challenging person when he took class with me roughly 6 years ago. I was impressed by how deeply changed he was, calm and forward looking and half way through medical school. One thing we touched on was social media and he said part of his "evolution" involved dumping all of his social media, no FB, no Instagram, no Twitter.

Reactions: Bevvie and Mfmst

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
You have a point...I do find myself, using the not following temporarily lately and more and more is just ads. MY daughters do not FB either. One would but I blocked her from it but she instagrams a terrible amount. I think that though is caused by her illness and lack of friendships. I have an instagram but never use it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well,I am on FB constantly,as it is the only way to connect w/childhood,elementary/high school friends,former co-workers with whom I want to keep in touch, but it is strictly social for me.(,I do get a lot of poodle stuff there,too!) Since I never answer my phones,either of them, I also do not text,and I don't have Instagram or the like;not techy enough.

Martha

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
I had to learn how to text. Millennials respond immediately to texts and often don’t even listen to VM. Email for them is business communication, their version of snail mail. I have become fond of texting, because it’s less intrusive than a phone call and very efficient. During power outages, it conserves battery life. I know how much my SIL loves FB, keeping in touch with friends made all over the world from her travels as an oil wife. She even attends elementary school reunions! Strictly social and not where she gets the news. (When her kids were in college, they just blocked her. And warned all their real life friends not to “friend” her.) I agree I have missed out somewhat, by not being on FB. I console myself with YouTube, PF, texts, phone calls, visits, screen grabs from Pinterest, summaries of the tweets and Instagrams from my news feeds.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Facebook doesn't even do news anymore, all... not for a long time it hasn't.

When I was younger, I hated FB because of all the phoniness. Now, I just have a small group of my closest poodle and real life friends and that's it. I love to follow poodle breeders and see what their dogs are winning, kennel clubs, horses for sale, etc.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Oh yes I have only a few poodle friends who are FB friends that I haven't met face to face. Otherwise it is just friends and family who are real world folks.

Mfmst the college only uses email for official communication with faculty, staff and students (although there is a FB page and such too), but email is the official communication method. Not only is it hard to get students to use their email (which the college provides), but even some faculty don't check it. The other official means of communication is the alert system which one has to sign up for that will send email, text and/or voice messages for situations like Thursday's freak snow storm that led to cancellation of evening classes.

We (BF, mom and some close friends) do a lot of texting since I am not always able to answer the phone (when in class) and it is easier to touch base for a quick message that way. Otherwise real contact, real conversation....

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I live in Fb. A couple of American political groups, one or two gardening groups. But too with a lot of friends and family. At my age, it keeps me alive and busy thru the day.

Since I came in here a few minutes ago, I can see 8 new Notifications in my Fb tab. I enjoy the interaction.

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
That’s what I have missed out on from not being on FB, the interest groups and the best vacation and life pictures from friends and family of my demographic;)
I can actually remember the words of my first text, sent to my son who was AWOL working in investment banking: “Are you alive?” “OMG, you learned how to text!”, followed immediately. The right medium may be the only way to message. My dentist carries texting to next level - a monthly reminder, a one week reminder, a time to leave for your appointment, nice to have seen you next appt, birthday greetings. They probably have a Facebook page too.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Facebook is to be the big thing in real estate, and I am tech savvy, but do not use facebook for marketing, most of my clients are 55 and up thank God. I use facebook politically, to back my President, a small amount of family contact, not for clients/customers always a phone call, text or e-mail

1 - 20 of 35 Posts