Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been bathing Cleo every two weeks. A few weeks ago, i did her first fft, and last weekend, I did her first body trim, and I touched up her neck. Now, her face and feet look fuzzy to me, and I wondered if it's okay to trim them up without doing the full bath (which would be due next week)? I have a spray bottle, and I could "mist" her with water in the places I'd be trimming, if that is recommended? If this sounds okay, is there anything else I should do?

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I like to wash my dog every two weeks and blow dry then clip and trim usually. But sometimes life gets in the way and I find myself doing something in between baths.

Your blades will last longer if you always groom a freshly washed dog and the body work will look much neater after a blow dry with the hair nice and straight and standing up away from the body.

Closely shaving the feet and face doesn’t depend on the freshly blown dry hair the way that trimming the rest of the body does.

Go ahead and shave on when the face and feet are 100% dry, not damp or wet.

If the feet or face are obviously dirty, say your dog walked through a mud puddle, then spot wash the feet/face, allow to dry then trim. You can use a damp wash cloth or dip your dogs feet into an old plastic container with a small amount of water...and if really dirty, detergent followed by a rinse without washing the rest of the body.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
I don’t bathe every two weeks. I can’t. I often do FFT and even the body without a bath. The only drawback is that it will dull your blade faster, and it will give you a less even look. But there is no law that a bath is required.

I wash their face every second day though, when I brush their teeth.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Depending on what type of blade you are using, I would definitely recommend at least washing the parts you plan to trim. I use a Bravura for face/feet/tail and I had to replace my blade quite prematurely due to touching up feet that were not freshly washed.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Depending on what type of blade you are using, I would definitely recommend at least washing the parts you plan to trim. I use a Bravura for face/feet/tail and I had to replace my blade quite prematurely due to touching up feet that were not freshly washed.
I’ve never replaced my blade in 4 years. I’m sure if I did I would see the difference, but it’s still working. Mine are toys though. I have 2 and they need to be done every 4-6 weeks top.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I’ve never replaced my blade in 4 years. I’m sure if I did I would see the difference, but it’s still working. Mine are toys though. I have 2 and they need to be done every 4-6 weeks top.
Wow, Dechi! That's an amazingly long life for your blade. My two spoos go through a blade every few months! If I took my own advice and only clipped them when freshly bathed, they'd last much longer, though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I learned to groom at a poodle shop many years ago. They would clip first, then wash, then do final clip and scissor work. This got rid of any blade markings, and we weren't drying a bunch of extra hair. For me now, retired and fulltime RVing w/my poo, I continue to clip first. The biggest reasons are I don't have a power dryer (and my mpoo hates them), and don't always have enough water pressure to efficiently rinse a full coat. I do go through blades frequently. I have never clipped a wet coat (I know it is done w/severely matted dogs), maybe I could halfway dry my poo before clipping?

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I'll touch up their faces and sani area but not their feet without a bath. I don't want minute particles of sand or dirt, more likely on their feet to wear down my clipper blade. But even the other areas would be better with a bath, though I will cup my hand in water and kind of clean off their bums a bit. I just don't do baths more than about once a month these days. And in about 2 weeks, their faces are getting too fuzzy and their bums unclean. If their faces aren't pretty clean shaven, stuff sticks all around close to their eyes and irritates them. So, that's why I do hit them every couple weeks, whether or not it's bath time.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Since Molly gets bathed every 7-10 days she is never really dirty so I do touch ups without worrying too much about my blade. Also because of her grass/flea allergy she gets her feet & face either washed or wiped down every day during the summer to avoid getting itchy.

Reactions: MustLoveDogs

·
Registered
397 Posts
I do FFT and sanitary on mine all the time (usually every 2 weeks) in between full groomings and have no issues at all. I also rough clip in whatever trim I am putting them in before bathing and have done so for all the many years I've had poodles. I'm not going to bathe and blow out inches of coat that I'm then going to clip off and/or scissor off anyway. I've got multiple blades in each number, but each one lasts for quite some time and many groomings, it's not like I'm incurring a fortune in sharpening fees because I'm clipping dogs I haven't bathed yet.....

Reactions: MustLoveDogs
1 - 15 of 15 Posts