Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a question about cutting in the face I am not doing it right and i always have the short fly away hairs. I am just not getting the topknot to grow right it is frustrating cause I really thought I had it down and the harder I try the worse it gets.. Here is a picture of Kitty who is the one that I am showing is the topknot down low enough?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The picture is too small to properly evaluate. Can you make it bigger?

RE the short hairs.....
These are broken hairs. They get broken because the dog rubs or scratches at the top knot or because another dog rips at them in play.

You have to experiment with a variety of banding techniques to see which one your dog tolerates best. I've found that I have better luck simply banding and not wrapping. Some people have luck separating the head into 2 or even 3 sections, though I find that more bands often = more webbing around the band which = more hair loss.

You also can not let a dog in show coat run around and rough house with other dogs. It only takes a couple of quick nips to break hair.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The picture is too small to properly evaluate. Can you make it bigger?

RE the short hairs.....
These are broken hairs. They get broken because the dog rubs or scratches at the top knot or because another dog rips at them in play.

You have to experiment with a variety of banding techniques to see which one your dog tolerates best. I've found that I have better luck simply banding and not wrapping. Some people have luck separating the head into 2 or even 3 sections, though I find that more bands often = more webbing around the band which = more hair loss.

You also can not let a dog in show coat run around and rough house with other dogs. It only takes a couple of quick nips to break hair.
I will try and get a bigger pic But you are probably right . Hubby issists on letting her out to play with her sister and Nee. They do tear at her coat..
I cannot make him understand... :( So it will continue to be an uphill battle...

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll talk about how I shave the face for a show coat.

I only shave up to the corner of the eye on the bridge of the nose. I shave straight across and don't do the "V".

The sides of the head seem to be the biggest issue for most people. Most people want to shave straight across starting at the the outside corner. This is too high because when you pull that hair up into a band it pulls the hair line up. To keep this looking right, you have to grow the line angled down from the outside corner of the eye.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you take a picture ? I think I am taking it up too high in the face and the side of the head I think I should just shave her and start over OMG !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts