Poodle Forum banner

Eye problem

2K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  PeggyTheParti 
#1 ·
Beckie had an appointment with a (student) groomer tomorrow. Her first time with some other than me (I would have stayed the whole time) or her breeder.

Tonight at 8pm I noticed her right eye was half-closed. I called the vet and they said I could use saline solution to flush her eye so I went to the pharmacy and bought some. I gave her a good flush. It seemed to help a little bit but her eye is still smaller and she is blinking more.

I gave her a second flush before bed and I’m hoping her eye is all good tomorrow. My instinct is telling me it’s a little scratch on her cornea. I have a cedar hedge in the backyard and she goes under it dozens of times daily, running like a maniac to get to the fence behind it and run after squirrels or try to scare kitty cats passing by. I figure a small branch got in her eye. Sigh. If it’s the case, then I’ll always be worried it will happen again.

Fortunately winter is coming soon, so she’ll get a 6 months forced break...

She has an appointment at 11:30 am tomorrow, in case she’s not better. You don’t want to wait for an eye injury, it’s painful and annoying.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh no! Poor Beckie. They put us through so much worry all the time, don't they? I hope it's not bad. The vet will be able to see it better with his equipment and hopefully, it's just a little scratch like you said. Lots of positive vibes that it gets better soon.

Reactions: Dechi
#4 ·
Poor Beckie. I hope it's easily treatable. If it's a scratch, they can be very painful. I would keep using the drops to try to soothe the eye if she's up during the night.

How do you think she'd feel about some Doggles? They don't have to be the goggle style. :)

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

#6 ·
Poor Beckie. I hope it's easily treatable. If it's a scratch, they can be very painful. I would keep using the drops to try to soothe the eye if she's up during the night.

How do you think she'd feel about some Doggles? They don't have to be the goggle style. :)

View attachment 451617
Ha Ha Ha ! Love the googles on your baby !

I think she’d be okay, but it would be a pain to put on and off, as she goes outside to check the squirrels many many times...

I’m thinking I should put some kind of tunnel under the ceder hedge, in the 2-3 spots she mainly uses. Maybe cutting a barrel of some kind in half and just laying it on the ground. Or a plastic bin, with back and front cut up. Still thinking about it.

#8 ·
Ophthalmic anti-biotic ointment I see in my crystal ball. Poor thing...sounds infected already. She'll get fixed up in no time. Best wishes.

The goggles are awesome. I tried them on my girl Chihuahua and she hated them. But then, I gave her no breaking in period. We were in the pet store at the time. I love the tunnel idea. She could definitely catch onto that and it could really help. A barrel or agility tunnel? Or even a pvc piece of culvert material if you can find just the right diameter.

#9 ·
Poor Beckie, I hope it’s not serious and is easily taken care off. I’m glad she’s seeing the vet today.

Those goggles are cute. But I agree it would be annoying to put on often.

They make kitty tunnels and children’s tunnels that aren’t too expensive which might work. While they won’t last forever outside, being under the bush protected from the sun and removed in winter would help them last perhaps several seasons.

#10 ·
Good thing she is seeing the vet - that is what my vet also said when Louie was pawing at his eye and I immediately ran to the vet. She confirmed "You don't wait for eye things, because they often can be fixed right away but many times not if you waited.." She put some drops into his eye to see a scratch and he didn't have one. But we still got some drops to put in and it was fine..after 48 hours.

#11 ·
Back from the vet. She has no scratch on her cornea, but a conjunctivitis in both eyes. She had discharge in them today too. I asked how it’s possible to have it in both eyes at the same time, and she says it could be from the wind carrying sand or others (so it’s good I flushed her eye last night) or it could also be an auto-immune problem, and if it’s the case, then she would need to be on cyclosporin drops twice a day for life. We will make sure to keep an eye on this. Hopefully it’s not auto-immune and it never happens again.

While at the vet, I noticed her puppia harness was starting to tear. She pulls so much on her leash, I have no doubt she would have ripped it some time in the future. So we made a stop at our favorite pet store and after trying on many no-pull harnesses, we found one that fits. It’s red and it looks very good on her.

Now she is pooped, and sleeping !

#12 ·
Thank goodness it’s not a scratch on her cornea. Hopefully it’s not autoimmune.

Do you think it could be allergies? My allergies have kicked in recently and I’m seeing pollen flying. I’m watching Babykins to see if she starts to lick her paws or gets a runny nose which is what she does when her environmental allergies start. Eyes can be involved too with allergies.

#13 ·
Oh good. At least it's not a scratch. Conjunctivitis is so likely because these little ones are so close to the ground, all kinds of stuff blows into their faces. Let's hope it's not an immune problem. I would think that to be rather rare, not? Anyhow, hope she gets well soon. :angel:

#17 ·
I was going to says KCS but yeah you need to see an ophthalmologist. Pia and I are off to see one to tomorrow as a recheck for her inward growing lashes.

#19 ·
Keratoconjunctivitis or dry eye can be caused by the immune system attacking the tear ducts, a regular vet can diagnose but if it's bad you need an opthtmalogist.

#20 ·
Yikes! Apparently, poodles aren't mentioned as the most common breeds to get this, although of course, no doubt they do sometimes. I didn't see anything about prevalence. I just hope it is not that but plain old conjunctivitis. You may indeed need to find an ophthalmologist or maybe your regular vet can diagnose it if this happens again or too much.

Oh MF, I didn't realize that about Zooey. Dang. But it does sound manageable when it's diagnosed and treated.

Reactions: Dechi and 117267
#21 ·
Oh MF, I didn't realize that about Zooey. Dang. But it does sound manageable when it's diagnosed and treated.
Yeah, it's totally manageable! She was just diagnosed a little before her 12th birthday.

And then Maizie has an immune mediated KCS called neurogenic KCS, so she gets a totally different medication.... You should see my basket of dog meds, it's almost like a veterinary hospital!

Regular KCS (keratoconjunctivitis sicca) *should* be easily diagnosed and treated by a regular vet. It is not uncommon. With Zooey, I just chose to move on to the opthalmologist quickly, since we have a great one nearby.

#22 ·
We also thought puppy Peggy scratched her eye, but then the goop and redness spread to the OTHER eye. She's not pawing at them or anything, but they look awful ?

We have an appointment for her to see a vet tomorrow, but the only one available is the vet she was terrified of at 9 weeks. We've not been back to see her since, so......fingers crossed.

Will ask about dry eye.

#24 ·
Oh, poor Peggy ? She is too young for dry eye. Something more minor, I am sure. Remember that it is your right as Peggy's owner to say something about the vet's handling if you don't like it. Better yet, tell her you will hold her while the vet examines her.
This is good advice. Thank you. I might even just have my husband go in. I'm sure Peggy will pick up on my anxiety, whereas my husband is not even slightly concerned.

(While I agree with him that Peggy loves most everyone these days, I think even a happy-go-lucky puppy can be uncomfortable with some of those eye procedures. I'll encourage him to do whatever he needs to do to keep things positive, even it means saying "Nope! We're done here.")

#26 ·
Take a pocket full of super duper tasty treats. And get some lovin' from the receptionists before you go in to see the doc. And after this, I'd recommend going in to a few different vets for just a 3 minute visit...pats, cookies, maybe get her weight and leave...just a social call once a week or so. Various vets. They're always quite willing because it means they'll have an easier time too. Plus, they just like to see dogs being socialized. Good luck with her eyes. Hope it's a one time thing.

#29 ·
Good that she's doing better already. Yay! Hopefully, that will be that. Fingers crossed.

#30 ·
So glad to hear Beckie is healing.

No change in Peggy's eyes and the vet didn't see anything wrong. She gave us eye lubricant to apply twice a day, but not sure why. Peggy's not been pawing at her eyes or showing any signs of discomfort.

The good news is she didn't growl at the vet!! Only the squirrel statue in the waiting room. ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.