Poodle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Tyler
385 Posts
I know it sounds disgusting, but I've always thought that letting the dog eat them is a reward for holding still enough for me to get them out of their eyes. :sick::sick::sick:
TBH, the first person I saw do this was my wonderful vet, 25 years ago. He looooovvvvs my poodles, even though he's a golden retriever guy. (He was convinced Mike was a golden in a poodle suit.)

And yes - they've all loved it as if it's a special treat. Makes face grooming a lot easier, eh?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The veterinary ophthalmologist who removed the hairs on the inside of my puppy's eyelids mentioned that she has deep conjunctiva, the internal pockets under the eyes. These collect goop that I try to clean out before it makes it to her face. She had excessive tearing before the cryo treatment removed the hairs. The treatment had no effect on the goop!

Don't know if the deep conjunctivas are unique to poodles. Hairs growing on the inside of eyelids aren't.

He also recommended that I use a wet cloth with Dawn to clean any dried gunk from her face.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sneaking back in to say I wouldn’t use dawn regularly. We use boogie wipes. Unscented saline wipes work great.

Reactions: Mfmst and Minie

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
After reading through these posts and thinking about Joey in particular I’m thinking a recent increase in eye goobers is environmental allergies. He’s always had a bit but it has increased and in thinking about it I think it’s the dust and debris outdoors. It’s very, very dry due to lack of rain. The boys run every day outdoors and I’m have no doubt they kick up quite a bit of dust and plant debris. I mostly use Angels’ Eyes wipes with him and for Bobby and Joey I use a tiny comb to take care of the dry goobers. Bobby doesn’t like me messing with his eyes but enjoys the goober “treats,” so they are a good reward. Joey is so amazingly good about me taking care of his eye area I don’t need to give him “treats.” A kiss on the snooter and a “Good Boy” is perfect for him. 😊

·
Registered
Big Ben 2019, and Josephine 2021
59 Posts
Big Ben has “eye bogeys” daily. We adopted “bogeys” from a Harry Potter movie in which there were “troll bogeys”. Ben is super calm and relaxed when I clean them, and he gets lots of face and eye brow rubs when I’m done. Josie has them less often and hers are drier and easier to pick off. I have a little fine tooth comb (almost like a flea comb) that makes it easy to clean them up, especially when they’re, um, not dried. My neighbor up the road has 2 spoos and several horses, and I love that when we’re walking by and stop to chat she will go ahead and pick Ben’s bogeys right out with her finger nail, without so much as a pause in the conversation. 😉

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are poodles prone to eye goobers more so than other breeds? Curious to know if you all deal with this. We have a daily eye goober clean. Joey I do daily, Bobby every other day. It’s our routine and it’s not a big deal but I never had to do this with such regularity with previous dogs. My poodle boys don’t tear up and have tear stains but they do get the goobers that would definitely get yucky if I didn’t clean them regularly.
It's a daily event for my s-poo, no big deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are poodles prone to eye goobers more so than other breeds? Curious to know if you all deal with this. We have a daily eye goober clean. Joey I do daily, Bobby every other day. It’s our routine and it’s not a big deal but I never had to do this with such regularity with previous dogs. My poodle boys don’t tear up and have tear stains but they do get the goobers that would definitely get yucky if I didn’t clean them regularly.
The veterinary ophthalmologist who removed the hairs on the inside of my puppy's eyelids mentioned that she has deep conjunctiva, the internal pockets under the eyes. These collect goop that I try to clean out before it makes it to her face. She had excessive tearing before the cryo treatment removed the hairs. The treatment had no effect on the goop!

Don't know if the deep conjunctivas are unique to poodles. Hairs growing on the inside of eyelids aren't.

He also recommended that I use a wet cloth with Dawn to clean any dried gunk from her face.
Magic blue standard gets them daily. We live in a very dry climate. I use plain normal saline drops to each eye wait a minute and use a small piece of gauze to wipe it right out. There is also GenTeal tears lubricating gel if dryness is an issue

·
Registered
221 Posts
They all get them. Fact of Poodle life, dog life. People get 'em sometimes (sleep/allergy eye). I have found that ear "mud" and eye "boogers " (at my house)😆 happens more when ear canals need plucking, we get more eye boogers. If there is ear wax corks starting, the eye boogers get goopier and crunchy. It also gets worse when they have been running around in dusty environment outside. With it being drier out, their zoomy path is powdery dirt. More eye boogers! More ear dirt too around their ear opening. Sweaty ear mud! 😆 We just have a routine of checking and cleaning! 💕 And why do they love to eat their eye boogers? Or each others? 😂🤣😂

·
Registered
420 Posts
Otter's eyes have run since he was 3 months old,so we are used to cleaning. (NOT that he likes it,but...) I now make my own wipes with gauze, saline solution and chamomile tea.Thankfully, he is brown, so can't really see anything but the wetness. Helps to keep the hair around his eyes clipped, and I also give him allergy bites/liquid.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Joey’s eyes have become a bit more high maintenance this past week. He’s starting to get tear stains but I’ve been able to keep it at bay pretty good. The eyes themselves look good, no redness or anything like that. It’s that time of year so I really am quite sure it’s environmental. I’ve started putting drops in his eyes and giving him Benadryl along with the daily goober clean and it seems to be helping.
He loves Benadryl time as it comes with a bit of peanut butter. 😊 He is super good about the drops and cleanings too. We call the whole process “Goober time.” 😉

21 - 40 of 40 Posts