Poodle Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I’m glad you were able to have the vet check it out. It does sound very plausible that this is the problem. It can take awhile for a strain to heal.

You might want to play nose work games with both your dogs as an alternative fun activity while giving Princess a chance to recuperate

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I am watching for an update. I so hope she healed. My spoo seems to be having some back issues too and I can feel a vertebrae that doesn't seem to be alligned properly. I wish we had an animal chiropractor. I swear by them for myself.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hello Kontiki,
Well I’m sorry to hear about your spoo. Unfortunately my little Princess while somewhat better still has issues. I don’t think the vet looked close enough to really determine what was going on. Of late other symptoms have surfaced. Her front legs shake while she sits and I’ve noticed she seems less sure footed. She trips on the carpet for no apparent reason. These may be small things but I need to have a conversation with my vet about what if anything is going on. She has also become a much more sleepy girl than she has ever been. I have grown to love them both so much that it just hurts to see them get old ( 9 years).
thanks for checking in and again I wish you the best with your spoo.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Her front legs shake while she sits and I’ve noticed she seems less sure footed. She trips on the carpet for no apparent reason. These may be small things but I need to have a conversation with my vet about what if anything is going on. She ha
I’m sorry your girl isn’t better. I’m wondering if those symptoms could be neurological ? Something to ask your vet maybe.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hi jcris. It sounds to me like Princess is in pain, but I'm not sure where or why.

My Mia, who turns 10 this week, went through something somewhat similar, but there are some glaring differences as well. Similarities: shaking, sleeping more, decrease in sure-footedness, wincing when her rear end was touched even slightly, and generally seeming vulnerable and lacking confidence. It turned out to be OA in her left rear knee, and gabapentin 100 mgs in the morning (2 hrs before our big exercise of the day) has her looking like a new dog.

Differences: the pain seems to be more in Princess' front end. Without knowing more, the wincing when accepting treats could mean the pain is anywhere from a toothache to her neck or front legs or shoulders (because of the way dogs shift their weight to lean forward for a treat).

I hope this is helpful. It's so hard when they're hurting and we can't tell why and we can't fix it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I will mention a neurological possibility to my vet, thanks
Dechi.
Liz,
I really need to get her to my vet in San Jose. He has really been excellent over the years. OA ? Arthritis?
I will mention the gabapentin as well. A lot of the symptoms you described are spot on for my girl. What are the long term affects of gabapentin use ?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Gaba is pretty safe. The main side effect is sedation, but Mia sleeps less now than when she was in pain. According to my vet, there is a mound of research on Gaba in dogs because Gaba is used in humans for OA as well (the sad reality of drug testing). That said, do NOT give human Gaba to your dog, because the human version contains xylitol (which is toxic and can be lethal to dogs).

Background
Monograph

If Gaba is appropriate for Princess, know that peak absorption occurs 1-2 hours after ingesting, and the half life is only 4 hours. This way you can time the delivery according to when she will be most active.

If it is OA, you may also consider fish oil and glucosamine/chondroitin. Mia has always gotten fish oil, but I'm a bit more liberal with it now. I added a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement last year, but I don't see a difference. My vet says the data is better in dogs than humans, but the human data is a mess, so ymmv.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I’m thinking fish oil would be a good step for both of my girls. Excellent info, thank you so much Liz

21 - 31 of 31 Posts