Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I’m posting today about my spoo Princess. She’s 8 years old, 53 pounds and is such a healthy girl. In the last several months though I’ve noticed she is extremely sensitive to touch. It only occurs once in a while and always very unexpectedly. The lightest touch will cause her to wince. Today she winced when I brushed against her muzzle. Couple weeks ago it was her bum. A playful pat on her butt and she winces like I hurt her. I’m afraid to touch her when this occurs. This began several months ago and at first I didn’t pay it much mind. But of course I noticed especially after it began to occur more. I check her over thoroughly every time but am unable to determine what is wrong. This seems to come and go but it’s very distressing. My poor girl cowers away from me like I’m punishing her. She was at the vet about a month ago during which she had a full blood panel. The results were completely normal. She eats, drinks and does her poop and pee normally and consistently. She is exercised daily and is so very loving. I truly love her. This is the kind of thing that seems impossible to figure. This occurs so rarely that the vet never sees what I’m talking about. I honestly can’t afford to just start doing all kinds of tests but I’m worried she is in pain. I know this isn’t much to go on but I had to ask. I thought perhaps it was a muscle strain so I’ve been using a ramp for her to get in and out of the car. But of course the muzzle sensitivity doesn’t make sense there. I’m just not sure what to do. Please advise

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
Aw, poor girl :(

The posssibilities do seem endless. Does she ever react to noise or is it just physical touch?

This is a long shot, since you said the symptoms seem to come and go, but..... Have you considered reasons unrelated to health? Did she perhaps spend time with someone else recently? A petsitter or dog walker? Did she see a new groomer or otherwise be alone with anyone unusual? Perhaps she had a bad encounter with someone who scared her, unintentionally or otherwise.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Taking videos of the incidents might help your vet.
My only other thought is that she might react to touch in general/ anywhere even if she is painful only in a certain area. Pinched nerve maybe?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,
She doesn’t seem sensitive to sound, just touch. I watch how she moves closely and have noticed how carefully she squats down. She does this more slowly and gently as if she’s avoiding something uncomfortable. What’s confounding is she runs and plays like nothing bothers her. I mean she runs hard, jumps and does these crazy spins all the while chasing the ball. Exercise doesn’t seem to exacerbate her sensitivity. In fact, it’s rare that she displays this during exercise. The other day I was handing her a treat and just as she grabbed it she winced. I thought I had shocked her. Maybe a static discharge or something? Since then she will not take anything from me. She’s clearly afraid and very cautious. She cowers away and the only way she will take the treat is if I set it down. I do wonder if this could be some kind of nerve damage. Perhaps a neurological condition? Then also I think she is overly sensitive in her abdomen but when palpated doesn’t reveal anything. She has a check up coming soon at the vet. It’s difficult as the vet only sees her for such a short period of time.
I will keep a very close watch

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
I'd have her teeth carefully checked. X-rays for sure.

Gracie's teeth symptoms seemed completely random to me. When I finally rushed her to the vet, it's because she was walking funny and seeming scared. I would never have guessed it was her teeth.

In retrospect, she was also occasionally cowering when I offered her a treat, like I had hit her or something. I was baffled, but it makes sense now.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both my girls have their teeth cleaned about once a year. The tarter mostly builds up on their upper molars. The sensitive one, Princess, has particularly bad breath. Your thought is a good one and I’ll have my vet take a close look. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
Definitely worth a check then.

If I'm remembering correctly, Gracie's teeth were cracking above the gumline. I don't think I could have seen the issue myself. And there were no issues flagged at her thorough checkup about a year previous. But her breath had indeed gotten very bad. And yes, there were those strange symptoms that I'd never have connected.

Oh how I wish dogs could tell us what's wrong!

Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I’m just now coming to this thread... sorry I’m so late.

Have you found anything out yet that could be causing it? I would be really interested to know. When I still had Dory, she would be laying on my lap, and when I’d touch her on the side, in the abdominal area, she’d yelp and jump up. Sometimes she would get right off my chair and go lay down by herself. I was unable to keep her and just didn’t have the time to get it figured out. It wasn’t her teeth, it wasn’t an actual belly problem, there were lots of things it was not. Right after she’d jump down, within a few minutes she was playing like normal and I could touch her like normal. This happened pretty regularly for a few weeks.

I sincerely hope all is going well now, and that the mystery has been figured out.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
My neighbor has a rescue Maltese/poodle mix. She does the same thing, she comes up for a pet then will jerk herself back. Some days she willl roll on her back for a belly rub then suddenly squeal as if you hurt her. Zoo one has determined why she does this but think her reactions are due to her past. When she was taken in her leg had been shattered and they thought she would lose it. But after many months of a cast, she now walks normal. So we think she either had been abused or has an underlying muscle/or nerve problem that pops up when she moves a certain way.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello everyone,
My girl Princess hasn't exhibited the sensitivity issue for awhile now. The only thing beyond keeping a close watch on her I've done is continuing the use of the ramp. It's probably unrelated but it does make it easier for them to get in and out of my SUV, especially jumping out. A couple months ago she winced as she jumped down and since then I've been using the ramp. Which has been a struggle for me but worth it I think. It has taken this old guy awhile to learn an easier way to put the ramp in place and stow it back in the car. Just not as strong as I used to be. They will both be getting their teeth cleaned in the next couple months and I will ask the vets opinion. Until then I hope all is well for this wonderful caring group

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello everyone,
Sadly it seems Princess sensitivity issue has returned. For the Last few days she has increasingly become more uncomfortable. She stopped drinking water yesterday and has begun sleeping more. That may not seem like much but for her, it's a distressing change. With all the concern about the covid pandemic just getting her seen by her vet was difficult. She is at the vet now. They will examine her between surgical patients. My poor girl, she's such a love

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
I hope you get good news soon - it does sound very worrying.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Keeping you both in my thoughts.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'm happy to report that my girl Princess was able to get in to see the vet yesterday. She has been diagnosed with a back strain. She is taking a muscle relaxant and an anti inflammatory for the next few days. I will of course watch her closely as I'm skeptical about the diagnosis. Given the covid situation I was not allowed to be with her during the exam so talking to the vet was done on the phone. Unfortunately I don't do well with remembering to ask pertinent questions over the phone. But I certainly understand the new way of handling patients.
The distressing thing is I believe this has been going on too long for it to be a strain. I'm probably over thinking this but I have begun to trust this vet, and that has been difficult to find in my small town.
Thanks everyone for your concern. I hope you all are well and dealing with this horrible covid mess

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
jcris, thank you so much for the update. What a beautiful girl she is. I'm sorry she's in pain.

Did the vet do x-rays? Both Gracie's dental and spinal x-rays were well worth the cost. They told us a lot about the source of her pain.

I know it's tricky with this new drive-up procedure. We had to do it, too, with Peggy.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello,
No xrays yet. She seems to be improving already but I remain cautious. No chasing the ball and off leash is limited. It's a bit complicated cuz my other spoo wants to run like normal Poor Belle, she just doesn't understand why our routine has changed. I've begun using a ramp for getting in and out of my suv , which I had gotten away from. Princess is so very athletic I can see why she may have strained herself.
I just love them both so much. I was surprised how much I missed her just being at the vet for half a day.
I will keep xrays in mind as I'm not convinced the diagnosis is correct.
thanks for your concern

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
I'd worry that without knowing the extent of whatever injury she might have (especially spinal), painkillers might allow her to overdo it and further injure herself. It's so hard to convince our dogs to do what's best for them, especially these poodle athletes of ours!

Happy she's home with you.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree the pain killer could mask a problem. It's frustrating having to second guess the vet. She did some tests: a chem 10 and pancreatic lipase. The lipase was appropriate as she has a history of pancreatitis, a mild case. Not sure what a chem 10 checks. I'll have to google it
Hope you and your pups are well

1 - 20 of 31 Posts