Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gracie got spayed Friday. I was going to wait until after her first heat but she wasn’t coming in heat and her mother didn’t come into heat until age 2. So after obsessing about it, and considering different options, I decided to just get her spayed. She will be 13 months on the first.

Gracie had some problems with the wound oozing and went home with a compression bandage Friday night, with a re- check Saturday morning. The wound had stopped oozing Saturday so that part was OK but she seems to be taking a long time to get back to herself.
Friday night she refused to move, drink, or eat. Very groggy. Better Saturday in that she finally took food and was walking but still very groggy. Sunday a little better and about the same today. She will grab a ball and walk around the house with it but doesn’t have her usual spark. Spends most of the day sleeping. She is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping.

The Vet is not concerned, which is reassuring, and said that smaller dogs tend to take longer and that she is a very lean dog which also affects the metabolizing of the meds. She is not taking any sedatives now, only carprofen.

So, I’m not really concerned, and will give her time, but I guess I’m more surprised as I thought the main issue would be controlling her energy! I probably should be happy she is content to just rest.

The last dog I spayed was 24 years ago, and she was an 85 lb collie mix. My recollection is she bounced back quickly, but it was 24 years ago, back when shelters didn’t spay dogs.Lily and Misty were already spayed when they came here.

What experiences have people had spaying smaller poodles?
Here is a pic of the poor dear.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I don’t remember exactly even though it was only last year but I am sure Beckie got back on her feet within a week, and was probably moping around more the first 2 days.

I would start worrying if you don’t see an improvement by day 4 or 5. Right now it’s still early. Done to a woman, this procedure would take weeks if not months to get through. We sometimes forget how resilient dogs are...

·
Super Moderator
5,199 Posts
I don't really remember my little Gracie's spay (except that I cried when I dropped her off for it), but she had surgery later in her life and the most surprising thing to me was how much her personality shut down while she healed. She was focused quite inward, which we're not used to seeing from our canine companions.

I'd just keep giving her space and trust that she knows what's best for her right now. The carprofen could also be making her feel groggy, so make sure she has a quiet little nest to retreat to and watch for any troubling side effects.

It's when she starts feeling a little better and wants to run and leap and play that you really have to worry! That's when it's up to you to protect that incision. Not always easy!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you- reassuring to hear similar stories.

Dechi, we’re at day 4 and she was a little better this afternoon. A little playful with the snow falling which was good to see.

Peggy the parti, you hit the nail on the head with the personality shutting down. It is as if she is focused inward, so unlike her. I saw glimmers coming back today so we’re headed in the right direction I think.

And yes, a woman with a hysterectomy would be a six week recuperation, so I need to scale my expectations!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I would in some way be happy she is being on the quiet side, she will take a good two weeks 14 days to heal. I am sure she is still sore and doesn't realize why . I had a big dog spayed once and it was so hard to keep her quiet, those were days before we knew of crate training.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mufar, you’re right that it’s better she’s quiet, although she’s starting to come back. A little more sparkly today.

The minute I take the collar off, she dives for the Incision, I’m so glad I bought her the soft collar as it’s on almost 100% of the time. This too shall pass, othr than the oozing the first day, the surgery went well. As a nurse, I appreciate the potential for even routine procedures togo south in a heartbeat.

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm glad little Gracie is on the mend! I had to keep the cone on Maizie the entire healing period, but it was worth it and now she accepts the cone for anything else that comes up (most recently, a hotspot).

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gracie is back! She is sparkly, playing and up to her usual antics now. It was like someone flipped a switch today.
As I write this she perched herself on top of the couch to watch the news. Now the real struggle begins, keeping her down.

Thanks Peggytheparti for the kind thoughts.

MaizeFrosty, I think she’s going to need the collar the whole time too. it doesn’t seem to bother her.

I wish I had clipped her short before all this, the last thing I want to do to her now is put her on the table to brush her out. We’ll need to do damage control next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Excellent news! I have been trying to remember Poppy's recovery, but I think it was so uneventful it didn't make much mark on my memory, amidst the anxiety about the op and awaiting the biopsy results for the lump she had removed at the same time. What I do remember is the pathos of her lying on her back on my lap as I fastened the snaps on a clean baby vest - she had a large incision, and was very good about leaving it alone without needing a collar, but the baby vests helped keep it clean and covered, just in case.

Reactions: Carolinek

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did buy a surgical suit for her, it’s like a onesie. I thought I’d try it out later today and we can use it when we’re home. But she is so fixated on the incision that the collar needs to go on when we leave, at least for now. They’re all different!

Reactions: Vita

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
That’s great news. Looks like she’s enjoying watching tv with her “travel pillow”. That looks far more comfortable than a large plastic cone.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We were joking that we can reuse it for traveling! It is much nicer than the hard plastic. The pink is very cute but with muddy weather we’re having, I wish I ordered a darker color!

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Blessings for healing! My Spoo goes wild with those cones, turns into a bucking bronco. Hopefully the inflatable collars work better. Be well Gracie!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blessings for healing! My Spoo goes wild with those cones, turns into a bucking bronco. Hopefully the inflatable collars work better. Be well Gracie!
Thank you Kontoki!
I didn’t try the plastic cone- I gave the vet the inflatable collar to put on after the surgery and it’s been a godsend. She accepts it and seems pretty comfortable in it. Now that she’s more mobile (understatement, lol!) it doesn’t restrict her movement a lot either. They’re all different, aren’t they?

I bought a post surgical suit, a onesie type thing that I thought could replace the collar. I tried it yesterday and that didn’t work out so well. She started gnawing at the material right away. Back on went the collar for another week until the stitches come out.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
" I gave the vet the inflatable collar to put on after the surgery and it’s been a godsend. "
Are you saying that you brought the inflatable collar with you and it wasn't supplied by the vet? Where did you get it? I should get one and get my spoo used to it in case he ever has surgery again.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where all good things come from, Amazon, lol! It has been very nice, highly recommend. I attached a pic of the order.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts