Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know every creature is different, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest to me who actually owns a poodle, how lazy/energetic they are? Preferably from one of each size as I haven't decided yet :D

Thanks you!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
You're right, PrincessP... every creature is different. Even every dog within a single breed can be different. There will be generalities, but you can't count on those as fact or solid truth...

In *MY* poodle experience (standards only) our two girls are energetic while outside zooming around the yard, but once we're inside in the living room, they find a comfy spot and relax - sometimes even nap. We actually have the best of both worlds! :)

I've taken Lucy to several dog events (Canine Carnival and a couple of Rally O classes) and when it's time for her to "do" something, she's involved and engaged, but when we're waiting our turn for something, she'll usually either just sit or lie down at my feet until they're ready for us.

Again - it's ONLY standard poodles that I'm familiar with and ONLY our two girls (a 16 month old spayed brown female, and an almost 5 month old red female puppy)

Good luck with your research!!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I've had the best of both worlds with my two poodles as well. One of the reasons I like having a smaller dog is that it takes less room to exercise them. We have a very small yard, but it's perfect for a little dog to run and play. We play fetch just about every day, weather permitting. It means that he can run until he passes out and I can stand perfectly still. It's perfect for us. LOL

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris is HIGH energy. Up there with neurotic, highly driven, working dogs. Others spoos I know personally are much lower energy, and while obviously they all love and need a run and play, some NEED it more than others (ie, Paris!)
At the same time, Paris is still fast asleep with her head under the bed behind me, dreaming quietly to herself.

Generally poodles are fairly high energy when compared to similar sized breeds (ie a lab or golden, or a cocker or something) but with decent training, they are still happy to lounge about too!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the answers! I'm hoping for a pup that is fairly low energy, up for three hour long walks a week and lots of playing and cuddling. I am slightly disabled so I want a companion to spend time with me, to be doted on but also to be up for some fun! :D

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Thank you for the answers! I'm hoping for a pup that is fairly low energy, up for three hour long walks a week and lots of playing and cuddling. I am slightly disabled so I want a companion to spend time with me, to be doted on but also to be up for some fun! :D
Saffy is pretty low energy. She is happy to be fast asleep beside me (as she is now) or the next minute, going for a long walk or have a play session. She is happy to do whatever we want, and if we want to relax, she'll relax, and if we want to play, then she'll play.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
They're all just so darn special!
THEY ARE! I have 2 standards and they do have some serious energy outside, and they can inside too.....BUT they are pretty smart so when we correct their bouncy, airplane rides and landings to the couch they usually settle down.:):)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Casey is a lot more laid back then Mandy and is happy with just a walk or quick run BUTTTTTTTT he is so laid back you don't realize he is chewing something he shouldn't be LOL He is a sneaky bugger. Mandy is a runner and lives to run she gets comments at the dog park all the time about her running and speed but I can manage it with a trip to the dog park or longer walk.
She will settle into her chair with a bone but is reactive to any noise. She is up and barking or jumping to find out what it is.

Both are much better at almost 2 but remember most dogs in shelters are under 2 because of energy and work they take

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm hoping to adopt an adult pup from shelter or ex breeding dog. :)

I would love a poodle but if they require lots of exercise perhaps I'm better off with toy poodle?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
My spoos are very high energy outside loving to fetch, chase bunnies and Ravens. And yes mine like to bark too....But once in the house they find a favorite toy and are very happy to suggle with you on the couch ...Spoos are great house dogs BTW...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I can't have a dog that is too high energy as I cannot physically be too active. Would dog be happy with three walk a week, lots of play and love daily?

·
Registered
114 Posts

I have found the long walks keep their energy in check. When the pup is very young multiple short little walks/play time throughout the day is better. This way you will not overwork their joints and they need the sleep like a child. With the adoption of an adult you will get to see their temperament, energy level and will be able to start long walks right away.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Nothing like a game of fetch. If you have a yard then this should be plenty of exercise in the interim...

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Jazzy, who is a toy is a lot like the others, lots of energy outside, but when we come in she is content to lay with me and chew a bone. She does really well inside just playing fetch for about 5 minutes seems to help her get her energy out for the day.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I find that Flip needs regular exercise in general, both physical and mental.
Sometimes a training session tires him out more than a 2 mile walk!

·
Registered
646 Posts
How limited are you depends. 3 walks a week should be fine but what will youdo the other days. Do you have a backyard? Can you use a chuck it ball thrower?
After my breast reduction I was able to launch the ball pretty far underhand without much arm movement ( not allowed)
Chuck it makes it really easy to toss the ball witout much effort.

I think you will most likely be ok and if the dog needs to work off some steam a good nuckle bone helps

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
All the standards I've met NEED daily walks. Not necessarily hour long, but at least 20 minutes.

Might be better to get a toy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I honestly expected an extremely high energy dog when I was considering a poodle. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that Fly is completely calm indoors, she will just sprawl out on the floor or find her toy to chew on. Outside is when she goes nuts, we have a giant yard and it's so funny to watch her run and pounce.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was expecting more energy too... our Rio, a standard poodle PUPPY is 16 weeks and very much a laid-back guy. He loves his walks, and loves throwing the ball around, but also most of all loves his naps!! I would never call him hyper or high energy. At his age, which I think they are normally more active when younger, less when older (?) he seems much more mellow than most of the other breeds that my Mom had growing up where as adults. Rio seems to do fine with a few walks a week. If my husband was in town all the time we would do a walk a day. On the days we don't do walks he is ok with a game of fetch for some good "play" time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts