Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Excuse my ignorance...I am new to poodles, but I was wondering what combs are necessary for. I have always used a slicker and haven't found the need for anything else. I just ordered a Les Poochs slicker ( got a deal on ebay) and am looking forward to trying that. Is there anything else I am missing out on that could make my grooming experiences better? What do I REALLY need? Also, has anyone ever tried a shampoo and conditioner in one to save a step when bathing? Thanks in advance! You guys ahve been a great help to me! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,345 Posts
Unless you're parting the hair and brushing completely down to the skin, the slicker isn't really getting all the hair. I'll take a slicker over my puppy to part the strands after a back and fluff it up, then I'll take a comb over him to get ALL the way down to the skin.

We get customers at my work (I'm a groomer) that claim they brush their dog, well, that may be, but they're only taking a slicker over the top of the hair and the dog will be matted solid at the skin. If they had a comb, that would have been prevented.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
How long do you keep your dogs coat?
If it's short you may not need a comb. But a comb is a nice idea to "find mats" and to brush the ears, tail, and topknot with, even if you keep everything short.

It is possible a slicker only would work for you but 99% of the time when my clients tell me they don't need a comb, that their dogs aren't matted, and they brush everyday,
their dog IS matted. I don't see how they don't notice the mats, maybe they are lying who knows, but to a trained professional spotting and feeling them is easy :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

OK, Thanks so much!! Maybe he doesn't get matted yet because he still has his puppy coat? I wash and blow him every week too. I will be getting a comb soon- THANKS!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
yes, use a comb. I started using a slicker only and ended up with a matting problem. I have carefully and gently removed them and am back to using a comb on a daily basis. I do use the slicker first and part the fur as I brush because Jackson likes it, but I now always finish with the comb and still find little knots that the slicker misses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
yup, the primary purpose of a comb is to find the bits you've missed with the brush! With your guy only being a pup, and not being really long and shaggy, you've been able to get away with not needing a comb, but it is good practise to use one as 'insurance' that your line brushing is adequate!! You can *swear* you've brushed him thoroughly with a slicker or other brush, but still find tangles with a comb! lol.

fluffyspoos, I'm the same at work, people say 'but I HAVE been brushing him!' so I actually have my comb with me at all times now, and I'll hand it to the owner and tell them if they can run this through their dogs coat, THEN I'll leave it fluffy for you... 90% only need to look at the comb and know it won't, the other 10% figure it out very quickly! lol!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
We keep a comb on our coffee table beside the 4 stinking remotes. We often relax the dogs across our laps and work on little sections. You know how you can be petting then feel a little clump starting to form? That's what the comb is for for. The brush can be a bit painful but when we comb, they stay asleep most of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
We keep a comb on our coffee table beside the 4 stinking remotes. We often relax the dogs across our laps and work on little sections. You know how you can be petting then feel a little clump starting to form? That's what the comb is for for. The brush can be a bit painful but when we comb, they stay asleep most of the time.
I think I would feel right at home in your living room! I love the idea that you keep the comb where it is handy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
fluffyspoos, I'm the same at work, people say 'but I HAVE been brushing him!' so I actually have my comb with me at all times now, and I'll hand it to the owner and tell them if they can run this through their dogs coat, THEN I'll leave it fluffy for you... 90% only need to look at the comb and know it won't, the other 10% figure it out very quickly! lol!
What a fantastic idea! I'm going to start doing this at my work! :) I get a lot of clients who brush certain parts of their dog, but there are areas the brush never touches! I honestly don't knownhow you can think you're brushing the dog if you never get the underside or the armpits or the rear end.

I always brush Flash with a pin brush during the week. After each bath (he gets one weekly) I thoroughly brush him with my slicker under the fluff dryer, then comb through everything once he's fully dry and fluffed. I never use a comb on a dirty coat, just because I don't like to, not for any particular valid reason. His coat is clean often enough that I can get away with it. :)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top