Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 4H dog training I train Atticus in showman ship and the vet said it would be fine since all it is is a little trot, and he probably runs around and is more active than that a home. One of the trainers comes up to me "So that lady said she's calling the SPCA on you, they assume you beat your puppy...what the heck happened to the thing?" I didnt know how to react and just kind of stood there speechless with my jaw dropped. Another trainer comes up to me a while later and rudely says "so I guessed you finally stepped on him?" and just walks away. I cant believe how rude people are!! I was about to cry! How can people just come up with assumptions like that. Obviously I care about my dog enough to take him to the vet, get bandaged up, take him to training classes and groom him weekly and have him in good body weight and condition. I cant get over how rude some people can be...Maybe I'm overreacting but it really ticked me off.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Holy cow, how extremely unprofessional and rude!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Is there any way you can go over their heads and lodge a complaint? That is extremely rude, and they should learn that they cannot talk to people in this way. Aren't the people teaching the class supposed to be good examples and TEACH people how to behave and act by doing the correct thing themselves?

I would go complain to their superior. That is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Wow. I have no idea how I would have reacted in that situation, but I can tell you that I have a very low tolerance for rudeness and stupidity.

I agree with what Spencer said.

*hugs*

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Is your dog the only POODLE in your class? I always hear snickering and whispering behind my dogs' back...."Look at that dogs ridiculous haircut. He feels too embarrassed to do this." I feel like you...."EXCUSE ME, I can HEAR you!" My trainers love my dogs....its the idiots with the mutts that make all the fuss! I am goofy about crating with leg injuries. I probably would have taken my dog to class but only participated in the last 15 minutes or so. Even though the vet said its OK, I dunno, I wouldn't!

·
Registered
875 Posts
File a detailed complaint with your local extension office (4-H headquarters)
That kind of D-Baggery is BS.

I mean, they are adults and they want to treat a (albeit very mature :)) kid like that? they need to be in a different field

Don't worry about the SPCA thing, show them the vet records, get them in touch with your vet. Accidents happen. even big dogs break bones. :doh:

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
People just suck sometimes Michelle. I would definately file a complaint, and be proud of yourself that you are a better, kinder, more thoughtful human being than these "adults".

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I agree; file a complaint! That's just ridiculous! Why would she assume you beat your dog!?! He's in a splint and you, unlike many small dog owners, have taken the initiative to take him to class. You are doing things the right way w/ Atticus; you don't spoil him or treat him like a toy/accessory and that's how they treat you!?! I would even go so far as to write a letter to the editor of your local paper. You said they had too many trainers in another post, so tell the extension agent he needs to dump the one that made the comment about you stepping on him. So what if you had stepped on him, accidents happen and that comment was uncalled for. I would also find out who assumed you beat your dog and have a little chat w/ them. She sounds like a nutjob! Does she assume any kid w/ a bandaid is abused at home too?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I have to think that they were just trying to be funny. :doh: Some people should leave comedy to professionals.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Don't worry about the SPCA. They deal with just as many fanatical bogus calls as they do real ones. I would file a complaint. Kidding or not it was rude and inappropriate. Crazy people....:fish:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Some people are just so rude :(. I completely understand how you feel because your dog is your baby, and you don't want anyone to think that you have done/would do anything to harm him.

When my lab Elliot was really sick with digestive issues, people used to make comments to me all the time. I used to love it when people would say, "You should really feed your dog more because the condition he is in now is considered abuse". The first few times I was nice and explained that he had an undiagnosed digestive problem, but that he was under a vet's care.
I know that a 38 lb lab looks bad, but people could at least be nice about it instead of accusing me of abusing my dog.
Eventually (after months of dealing with) I got tired and anytime someone was rude about his condition I responded with, "Do you want to see his vet records, or maybe pay some of his insane medical bills? He eats 5 cups of a high quality/grain-free food and has been tested for everything that the vet can think of, and I know that I am doing far more of him than most people would." Of course if people were nice about it, then I was polite back.

That shut people up pretty fast and I wish I would have started doing that much sooner.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Some people are just so rude :(. I completely understand how you feel because your dog is your baby, and you don't want anyone to think that you have done/would do anything to harm him.

When my lab Elliot was really sick with digestive issues, people used to make comments to me all the time. I used to love it when people would say, "You should really feed your dog more because the condition he is in now is considered abuse". The first few times I was nice and explained that he had an undiagnosed digestive problem, but that he was under a vet's care.
I know that a 38 lb lab looks bad, but people could at least be nice about it instead of accusing me of abusing my dog.
Eventually (after months of dealing with) I got tired and anytime someone was rude about his condition I responded with, "Do you want to see his vet records, or maybe pay some of his insane medical bills? He eats 5 cups of a high quality/grain-free food and has been tested for everything that the vet can think of, and I know that I am doing far more of him than most people would." Of course if people were nice about it, then I was polite back.

That shut people up pretty fast and I wish I would have started doing that much sooner.
And yet, how many people would say anything if he weighed 100 lbs?

I hate seeing overweight dogs :(

some people!

We had a landscaper working on our backyard and he regularly made comments on Anja's weight. after so much questioning, and being a first time sighthound owner, I asked her breeder to check her out. she was in perfect weight for her age (4 months)

The next time the landscaper asked about her I sat him down and showed him pictures of healthy borzoi and explained why they are a thin breed, and then thanked him for his concern.

The Landscaper actually called Animal control the day he cashed our check:scared: the ACO that came out laughed when he saw the dogs, as the breeder of my borzoi works at animal control, and so he knew what he was looking at.

·
Registered
159 Posts
And yet, how many people would say anything if he weighed 100 lbs?

I hate seeing overweight dogs :(
None :rolffleyes:.
Even now that he's healthier and weighs 48 lbs, people still comment. I've had animal control called on me once since he has been at his current weight. The 2 officers that came out saw all 3 of my dogs and laughed and said, "Oh, it looks like you just have a thin lab; not one of the overweight ones that people are used to seeing." They didn't even want to see his medical records or anything.
Thin is healthier for all dogs (especially larger dogs like my lab and Spoo) because it's so much easier on the joints and the rest of the body.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The Landscaper actually called Animal control the day he cashed our check:scared: the ACO that came out laughed when he saw the dogs, as the breeder of my borzoi works at animal control, and so he knew what he was looking at.
It's like people pulling fire alarms and distracting the firemen from real emergencies.

This thread reminds me of something that happened about a week or so ago. I was at PetSmart and saw a Boxer-looking dog who was so thin you could count his ribs. My first knee-jerk reaction was to assume abuse, but after a second, those thoughts turned to what if:

- the dog is a rescue who was abused at his previous home?
- he just has digestive problems (like my own cat did when she went down to 6lbs from almost 12)?

Then I thought, people who abuse their animals do not bring them to places like PetSmart. They feed them supermarket dog food and keep them in the basement or chained to a tree. And if your dog is injured because you deliberately beat him or whatever, you're not going to take him out in public, are you? No, you're going to keep him at home where no one will see him. People who abuse animals don't generally take them to the vet right away for treatment. I've watched enough Animal Cops to know this is the rule and not the exception.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know these people are the "Trainers" but jealousy makes people VERY nasty.

When I was in 4-H with my horse many many many many :) years ago, a mother tried to have me kicked out EVERY year at fair time because my horse, who I trained ALL BY MYSELF was beating her daughters professionally trained horse that was a National Champion. It's not my fault that back then 4 beating was NOT tolerated in the 4-H show ring. I understand that has changed.

I would chalk it up to them being jealous of you and and your well trained, cutest EVER poodle. :madgrin:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
It's like people pulling fire alarms and distracting the firemen from real emergencies.

This thread reminds me of something that happened about a week or so ago. I was at PetSmart and saw a Boxer-looking dog who was so thin you could count his ribs. My first knee-jerk reaction was to assume abuse, but after a second, those thoughts turned to what if:

- the dog is a rescue who was abused at his previous home?
- he just has digestive problems (like my own cat did when she went down to 6lbs from almost 12)?

Then I thought, people who abuse their animals do not bring them to places like PetSmart. They feed them supermarket dog food and keep them in the basement or chained to a tree. And if your dog is injured because you deliberately beat him or whatever, you're not going to take him out in public, are you? No, you're going to keep him at home where no one will see him. People who abuse animals don't generally take them to the vet right away for treatment. I've watched enough Animal Cops to know this is the rule and not the exception.
That reminds me... I took TPFKAP (we're still deciding what to call him and have gone through LOTS of names, I'll let y'all know when we decide! Still looking for THE ONE!) to petsmart for a quick clean feet before our pictures with Santa in December... this is when he was having his weight issues, but had been checked out by the vet, and given a clean bill. The groomer chastised me, telling me that he was too thin, and there was something horribly wrong with him, and that I wasn't feeding him enough, etc. etc. etc.

I told her he had gone to the vet and he was fine, but was underweight, and we were trying very hard to get him to gain weight. She looked at me like I was lying, and evil eyed me the entire time. (I stood outside the window and watched... after I told the manager about her attitude and rudeness.) I was just flabbergasted she would essentially tell me that I was mistreating my dog... especially when um... I'M BRINGING HIM IN PUBLIC TO GET HIS TOOTSIES DONE FOR A PICTURE WITH SANTA. Abused puppies don't get pictures with Santa, mmkay? :doh: I was so mad at that girl!

==============================

Bottom line, Michelle... I mean, even if they were joking - which I doubt - they took it too far. You need to complain so that they know that it isn't appropriate, and that you do take wonderful care of your little guy.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is there any way you can go over their heads and lodge a complaint? That is extremely rude, and they should learn that they cannot talk to people in this way. Aren't the people teaching the class supposed to be good examples and TEACH people how to behave and act by doing the correct thing themselves?

I would go complain to their superior. That is just ridiculous.
I agree!!! Go to their manager or boss or owner of the company and COMPLAIN!!! I would NEVER stand for someone verbally abusing my dog or myself! Especially when you are paying for a class or at a competition. Just rediculous!!! People can be so rude sometimes!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts