Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, so I hope I am asking this in the right area. My Mickey has just turned 7 Months. Over the last I would say 6 weeks, he has begun t and to lick his groin area and halfway down his legs. He does not appear to be chewing as the area is not even red, just VERY wet! He also over the last month or so begun to pee, just a small amount usually when some one new comes around or my husband comes home from work. He gets so excited for the first few seconds he sees anyone new. I am hoping this is just a phase since he is totally housebroken except or this. Anyone had either of these issues?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
The licking might be caused by allergies. Have you done a change of food just before the problem started ? New chewies or new treats ?

About the excited peeing, the best way to settle this, until he matures and has better bladder control, is to not pay attention to him when you come home. Do not get him excited by talking to him or looking at him. Just wait until he settles down, it will take 5 minutes, and then acknowledge him in a calm manner. No excited, high pitched voices. Instruct your guests to do the same. You need to extinguish the behavior, so it doesn’t become a habit.

If he hasn’t had a vet check-up in a long time, it might be a good idea also, just to make sure he doesn’t have a UTI.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am new to the forum, so I hope I am asking this in the right area. My Mickey has just turned 7 Months. Over the last I would say 6 weeks, he has begun t and to lick his groin area and halfway down his legs. He does not appear to be chewing as the area is not even red, just VERY wet! He also over the last month or so begun to pee, just a small amount usually when some one new comes around or my husband comes home from work. He gets so excited for the first few seconds he sees anyone new. I am hoping this is just a phase since he is totally housebroken except or this. Anyone had either of these issues?

What a beautiful boy. Ha ha, he looks like my 7 month old girl. She too has excitement pee and she licks herself as well in that area. I think it’s just a dog thing for cleanliness. As for the peeing my 2 yr old did it to and grew out of it or just gained better control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
I agree with Dechi, though at 7 months, I assume he isn’t neutered yet? I find when Milo wasn’t neutered yet, there seems a bit more smegma on the tip of his penis. He is meticulous in cleaning it. He is neutered now and the discharge is way less and he cleans it every 1-2 days but nothing excessive as before. Excited peeing could be just that or an impending UTI, i’d Get that checked out for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

I appreciated all the information. My husband tries so hard to ignore him but at almost 70lbs, he makes it verrrrry difficult to ignore. As far as a UTI, would he have any symptoms? He has no issues peeing and does not pee any other time except the little amount when someone new is around. He was at the Vets around a month ago and there was no issue. Perhaps I need to take him back. As far as changing food, he has been on Diamond Natural Large Breed Puppy his entire life. I make sure not to give him anything with gluten or chicken as it appeared earlier that he was scratching when eating Milkbones or other garbage treats. I also read that some dogs are allergic to chicken so I also avoid that. Maybe he is just a very clean pup!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
What a lovely (big) boy! I think the advise about trying to not get him excited when people arrive will help with the excitement pee and that is probably all it is. Lily was an excited pee pup too.

As to the licking, poodles are pretty licky dogs and they will groom themselves. I know someone with a white standard who is always as white as fresh snow. I have asked her if she does a lot of at home baths or takes him for frequent grooms and her answer was no, that he keeps himself clean. For some reason today Javelin is licking Lily around her chest and back so not any place that might smell overly interesting, just giving her a little extra bath. I think of licking as a poodle thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for your thoughts on this. I too was thinking it must be a cleaning thing. I bathe him every three weeks, which I hope is good, so I too think it is him just primping himself. The peeing issue we will just try harder to keep the excitement down, but he absolutely goes ape when his Popi comes home! Hopefully he will grow out of this. Your Black Poodles are absolutely beautiful! I hope one day Mickey has such a nice long coat. Right now he is just a curly Q.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
What a handsome big boy you have. Mine is nearly 11 months and not nearly as big. We actually thought he would be but I'm glad he is not as its better for me personally. LOL I'm older and he can be a handful as it is. You already got lots of advise so I have no more to add just that he is a lovely boy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amazing how much your pup looks like Mickey when I trim up his face. You are right I did get some good advice which kind of put my mind at ease. The licking really concerned me. You pup is quite a beauty!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts