Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Back at it again with another question. My puppy is growing/gaining weight really fast at 17 weeks. Last time I checked he was 3.8kg. That was 2 weeks ago when he had a vet appointment. Vet said his weight was perfect. Now he’s around 4kg for sure.
he’s very fluffy and I want to ask if this is excess fat or normal as a puppy? He’s definitely not overweight/underweight. I can feel his spine and ribs just fine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Puppies can be chunky, they are growing and they use all the excess fat.

Once they hit maturity, which depends on the breed, you should manage your dogs weight

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Puppies can grow in remarkable spurts. Relax and enjoy; the vet said he's fine, so go with that.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
He does look a little chubby on these pictures. It will go away when the puppy grows, if you don’t feed in excess.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
He looks a little round, but puppies go through weird stages as they grow. If you can feel ribs easily I think you are fine. BUT since I can't see a side view, I'll ask if he's been wormed or checked for worms lately. Puppies easily get worms and it can makes their bellies a bit distended looking. That splayed out picture just made me think of it. If worms aren't an issue, no worries I'm sure he's growing fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He looks a little round, but puppies go through weird stages as they grow. If you can feel ribs easily I think you are fine. BUT since I can't see a side view, I'll ask if he's been wormed or checked for worms lately. Puppies easily get worms and it can makes their bellies a bit distended looking. That splayed out picture just made me think of it. If worms aren't an issue, no worries I'm sure he's growing fine.
Few hours before his vaccine I put sesame seeds in his lunch. I noticed white spots in his poop but I shrugged it off. I asked people and they said maybe it was tapeworms so I dewormed him. No worms but sesame seeds were present.

·
Premium Member
23,790 Posts
I would not feed your puppy less. You may think he is chunky this week, but next week he will have a growth spurt and then you will think he is too skinny. That is the way puppies are: too long/leg too short one week; all legs the next; skinny one week; porky the next. Feed your pup what he will eat.

Reactions: For Want of Poodle

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hi!
He might be fine size, it’s hard to tell for puppies for all the reasons mentioned above. But he’s a growing dog so it’s ok. It’s good that your monitoring his body condition score by feeling his ribs and hips.

I assume you’re not feeding kibble since that would be too much food (323 g of my dog’s kibble would equal 1,243 calories per day). Canned food has less calories by weight so that may be a normal amount if that’s what you’re feeding. We need to look at calories per gram.

So, three questions based on your last response.
what is the calories per gram for the food you’re feeding? Or you can post a link to the product your feeding if you’re having trouble finding it.

what kind of food (canned or kibble)?

Do you know what size poodle is he supposed to be, mini or standard? (Or maybe he’s the size in between, we don’t have those in the US)

based on the 15 week weight of 3.8 kg at the vet, he’d be 13 kg (29lb) as an adult according to this calculator. I found the calculator to overestimate weight for my dog, but for most it seems to be accurate.

Dog Size Calculator | How big will my puppy get?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Here are a couple of calorie calculators to give you an idea of how many calories to feed daily. They have an option to choose a puppy stage.
(Ignore the purebred part, it’s for all dogs!)

·
Super Moderator
7,105 Posts
Please don’t reduce your puppy’s food unless your veterinarian recommends it. Puppies will typically eat what they need to support their growth. Poodle puppies are especially good at regulating their own calories.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are a couple of calorie calculators to give you an idea of how many calories to feed daily. They have an option to choose a puppy stage.
(Ignore the purebred part, it’s for all dogs!)

Hi! I feed him raw. I use perfectlyrawsome calculator for his meal calculation.
He’s a mini poodle (I thought he was toy)
Idk the calories but he eats 108g per meal

I used another website to calculate calories and this is the result. What do you think?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was worried about Basil being fat (because of my own human insecurities), but like lily said as they're growing older they will get fat, then grow and get lean, then fat, then grow and get lean. I asked my bet and she said don't worry about it until Basil's a year old and we can reevaluate it. Check with your vet to see what they think before you worry about it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The calorie calculator you used is for adult dogs. You want to use one that has the option to choose “puppy 0-4 months” or “puppy 4 months-adult.”

I didn’t even think about raw feeding. I don’t know anything about that! but if you’re using a raw feeding calculator to estimate his food needs then it’s probably a good ballpark estimate. I wish I had some knowledge to help there.
Better to feed too much than not enough for their first year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts