Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/jWHvx6wL0oQ

It’s Pet Safety from a Canadian Broadcasting TV show called Market Place aired back in December 2014 but still relevant today.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Not surprised by the failures. Pet owners should thoroughly research these "safety" harnesses. I may be wrong but I think crating in the car is a better option.

Now that I am taking Asta for training, I have an airline crate that I use. I am not sure whether the crate should be restrained for better safety.

Other members have the SleepyPods which have been tested also with good results.

·
Super Moderator
3,456 Posts
Arggh! That was upsetting to watch, triggering my natural anxiety about driving. The way the cute real looking dummy dog was tossed around in all five tests indicate probable serious head and back injuries, broken necks, a broken leg, and might not survive. I can't fathom why ALL the straps broke on all five seat harnesses. Were the clips on the straps just cheap? I wish the study showed how fast the speed was.

I keep my toy poodles in a soft carry bag in the space between my front driver & passenger seats. I thought of putting the bag behind one of the seats, but in a really, really bad crash, second row seats have been known to push forward and smash into the front row and they'd be crushed in a soft carry bag. Now I'm not sure if the middle area between the two front row seats is good enough since flipping still could be involved.

On longer trips like to my brother's place, I stick them in the back in my hard-shell carrier which in lined with a blanket. After watching the video, however, I think I need to figure out a way to strap down the carrier so it can't flip over multiple times, unless of course, the car is flipping. They'd probably be fine but not me. Arggh! Perish the thought!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yikes!

I have been having this debate too... what is safest for my spoo in the car. Most car harnesses have been tested to be as bad as not having anything, and the ones that do work seem to require the dog to remain seated, which would be uncomfortable for my frequent 4-5 hr drives. Plus they seem to flip dogs in the crash. Crates don't do well in crash tests either, and i can't fit a spoo sized crate in my car anyways. Right now she has nothing, she just lies down on the seat and sleeps, but I do keep her on the back passenger seat, not in the trunk and therefore out of the crumple zone. Also not in the front to hit the dash.

Has anyone seen crash test results for those car hammocks? I can imagine them doing an OK job of diffusing crash energy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was trying to decide earlier from another thread about this between a few crash approved car safety harnesses.

http://sleepypod.com/clickit-sport
Can be worn as a daily harness

http://sleepypod.com/terrain1
Can be worn as a daily harness
More durable material
Metal clips
Has removable reflector patches so I can customize the harness
Has a near attachable pack you can attach to the harness for hiking.

https://zugopet.com/products/the-rocketeer-pack
Idk how comfy that position would be for pups
Only for <25lbs so it’s not for Spoos!

I heard Ruff Ryder Roadie harness was crash test approved but can’t find anything that backs that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,814 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have added this link where you can see the testing. https://www.centerforpetsafety.org/test-results/harnesses/cps-approved-harnesses/

If you read through this site you’ll find information about the safety of crates. There’s also an article about the danger of tethers.... I was surprised they originally used for children and halted when children were seriously injured in car accidents. There’s also some info about toys.

I do wish they had more money for testing other products.

I use a sleepypod clickit (terrain came out after and eventually I’ll buy one). My dog can sit up and lay down, she can move around to be comfortable. My dog spends about 10 hours or more a week driving. We also drive 5-6 hours to visit family. Prior to the sleepypod harness my dog suffered from horrible car sickness and she hated to drive. I sometimes walk Babykins in her harness.

To be honest while that zugopet passed the testing in that it didn’t throw the dog off the seat, I don’t know how comfortable that would be, I’d look at the sleepypod crates for a small dog.

Vita, there’s a lot of engineering and quality components required to make a safe product. They may use quality belts with poorly made clips. Or quality belts and clips but not sewn securely. The whole harness needs to take the stress in an accident, any weak point will break. We underestimate the forces that bear down in an accident.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
The Rocketeer may pass safety tests but it fails my too-silly-for-more-than-five minutes-in-the-car test. I was dismayed when I read that the Sleepypod harnesses are designed for animals 18lbs and over. My boys run about 12lbs +/- and 14lbs +/-. I'm considering buying one to try it out for fit anyhow.

Has anyone tried either Sleepypod harness on a poodle in my boys weight range?

---------------------

I can't find where I thought I saw the info originally. but when I first saw these videos a few years ago, I think it said that they used the same standards as crash testing for children. I think the test is a 30 mph crash, but haven't found anything to verify this yet.

---------

35mph is the NHTSA test speed for frontal crash testing.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Babykins is 16 pounds and a skinny mini........I ordered size small. I would contact Sleepypod and ask them, see if you can buy and return if it doesn’t fit.

I do find when I had Babykins in a HHC and her jacket was long, I had to adjust the harness to enlarge it. With her short Miami bikini clip I have it adjusted to the smallest size. IOW how long the coat is affects how you adjust the fit and a 12 pound poodle with a long coat might fit; in a short clip it might not.

I agree with you about that Rocketeer.... it may have passed the test that it didn’t throw the dog off the seat and no straps broke.... but even the people testing it had concerns that it may not be comfortable or safe for a dogs back to be held in this position.

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can you imagine if they had child safety seats like that rocketeer? Or changed standard car safety belts so that your bum hung floating over the seat?

I’d never go on another road trip again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Looks like sleepypod doesn't deliver to canada? Sigh.

The rocketeer looks ridiculous and takes the 'small dogs are furry human infants' school of thought way too far.... I would worry about back issues from long term use.

I looked at the kurgo harness redesign crash test videos. I don't like the dummy they chose, as it appears to be solid plastic. Sure, this pyramid shaped dog object doesn't move, but what about the legs of a real dog?

Ruffwear's load up harness looks interesting. Ruffwear makes dog climbing/belaying harnesses for dogs, so they shold have some understanding about dog body mechanics. They used a similar type of dog model to CPS, and the same testing standards. They seem to claim that although they wouldn't meet excursion limits in the CPS testing for medium and large dogs, the bottom held restraint gives better support to keeping the dog upright and from flying off the seat. Hmmm.... https://blog.ruffwear.com/2015/01/29/ruffwear-load-up-harness-faqs/ . They have xxs sizing too, which might work for smaller dogs?

I would really love some more independent testing of these dog safety products.

Thoughts?

Now off to go drive 5 hrs with my pup on North America's busiest highway, whilst blocking all of these crash test videos from my head!!!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like sleepypod doesn't deliver to canada? Sigh.

The rocketeer looks ridiculous and takes the 'small dogs are furry human infants' school of thought way too far.... I would worry about back issues from long term use.

I looked at the kurgo harness redesign crash test videos. I don't like the dummy they chose, as it appears to be solid plastic. Sure, this pyramid shaped dog object doesn't move, but what about the legs of a real dog?

Ruffwear's load up harness looks interesting. Ruffwear makes dog climbing/belaying harnesses for dogs, so they shold have some understanding about dog body mechanics. They used a similar type of dog model to CPS, and the same testing standards. They seem to claim that although they wouldn't meet excursion limits in the CPS testing for medium and large dogs, the bottom held restraint gives better support to keeping the dog upright and from flying off the seat. Hmmm.... https://blog.ruffwear.com/2015/01/29/ruffwear-load-up-harness-faqs/ . They have xxs sizing too, which might work for smaller dogs?

I would really love some more independent testing of these dog safety products.

Thoughts?

Now off to go drive 5 hrs with my pup on North America's busiest highway, whilst blocking all of these crash test videos from my head!!!
Sleepypod does ship to Canada, I found this on the internet. https://sleepypod.com/canada/customer-service/

I agree, there should be a law that travel harnesses must meet the same standards as child car seats. If not to protect the dog, to protect the people in the car and road from a dog being a projectile in an accident. Sadly Subaru only paid for testing one year. Sleepypod paid them to independently test their new harness model but other manufacturers haven’t. I do remember in my research discovering that the Kurgo showed their own testing of their harness that failed the CPS testing and it could very well have been to do with what they used as the test dummy. CPS had an explanation about how their test dummies were developed, similar to how they develop human test dummies. It’s not just any stuffed dog toy with weights added.

·
Registered
339 Posts
For my 40 bound skinny dog I used a conventional harness, the old fashioned kind. You can buy a very short heavy leash designed to be used in the car to buckle the dog in. I thought this worked quite well. For a very small dog I would look at using a pet carrier and buckling the carrier in.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I checked out Sleepy Pod, and (deep sigh), they don't have sizes for x-small. Maybe they'll come out with these in 2020.
They do have carriers in small and smaller sizes. Too small for my guys (they're too long butt to nose to fit in any of the certified carriers) but this is a possibility for your two. These things are all pricey, til you consider the cost of one vet visit for a simple ear infection.

https://www.amazon.com/Atom-Pet-Carrier-by-Sleepypod/dp/B005G5WFB6

If your two are under 5lbs each, there's also this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Sleepypod-Mini-Mobile-Pet-Strawberry/dp/B001DBJF7O

The only certified products to fit my guys are the Gunner Kennels. The $ factor goes up significantly (but no more than our last ER visit for their size). Those are just too heavy for me to handle.

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For my 40 bound skinny dog I used a conventional harness, the old fashioned kind. You can buy a very short heavy leash designed to be used in the car to buckle the dog in. I thought this worked quite well. For a very small dog I would look at using a pet carrier and buckling the carrier in.
Michigan Gal, read through the CPS site....tethering your dog to the seat belt may not be safe, it can cause back injuries depending on what you’re doing.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I checked out Sleepy Pod, and (deep sigh), they don't have sizes for x-small. Maybe they'll come out with these in 2020.
Vita, they have carriers that passed the testing and if I had a tpoo, I would use a sleepypod carrier or any other carrier that passed the testing.

If you look through the crate testing it’s shocking to learn how most crates break and/or open to let the dog escape. There’s some safe crates but they are very expensive and heavy.

Some people at my AKC club have the Gunner kennels and they look impressively sturdy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts