Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happens.

And it breaks my heart.

Years ago, I was playing Wii Golf and I swung my arm back forcefully with the controller in my hand. It hit Gracie, who was sitting innocently on the couch behind me, HARD in the face. I can still remember the horrible sound as it made contact with her jaw.

She was fine. Dogs are resilient and forgiving. But the guilt never left me.

Have you ever accidentally hurt your poodle? How do you handle it? Do you, like me, apologize profusely? Have you figured out how to say "Sorry" in dog?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Luckily dogs forgive us when we accidentally hurt them.
I have hurt both Evie and Kona to many times to count. The most recent one was when I nicked her flew when I was shaving her face. Poor poodle. She gave me the how dare you look and then decided that she had, had enough.
Yep I apologize with pets and sweet talking.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yes I have hurt Misha accidentally with a small nick here and there, but also when I have to for his health. I think it is sometimes painful to express his anal glands because he will growl. I have also twice lanced an abscess on his feet. I don't know what has caused them but it could be an insect bite. The first time it seemed to cause minimal pain, like popping a pimple, and went away quickly. The second time, it seemed to cause him way more pain because he was quite upset about it for a couple days. I'm sort of the do-it-yourself type person when I know how to fix something. But next time I will pay the $100 to let the vet do it. It's not worth the mistrust in his eyes afterward. It was heartbreaking to see how he was worried I was going to hurt his foot when I touched it. But after a couple days he was back to his normal self.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I’ve cut both my dogs once or twice when grooming. I felt horrible but fortunately each time I learned something and never did the same mistake again.

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
I cut Poppy while grooming and she barely noticed, but I have sometimes trodden on a toe or on Sophy's tail hair, and that is certainly noticed. I apologise very much as I would to a child, with words and a hug, and they seem to know what I mean.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
The rolling office chair I sit in while use my desktop once rolled over the edge of Bella's toe or toe hairs. She howled and I was so scared her foot was broken. I grabbed her like a baby and examined her little paw. Apparently the chair barely nicked her foot or maybe even rolled over the hair. We both became very careful after that, and I still look getting up.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I swear Misha is the most ridiculously sensitive dog. I've never cut him to the point of any real bleeding while grooming. Every nick we've had is very tiny and just barely scratches through the outer layer of skin. But he reacts as if it's a gaping wound. Just last night I had a small nick around his eye and then it was very hard to convince him to hold still to let me finish the area. There wasn't even any visible blood. If I hadn't seen him flinch I wouldn't have noticed. And he was quite upset with me the rest of the night. Poodle feelings... sheesh.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well it's clear we all love our pets. Everyday I love them more. And my spoo's seem to be more emotional as they've gotten older. Which makes it all the more difficult when I hurt them. I shocked Princess on her nose via static electricity. Poor girl didn't get over that for a few weeks. She refused to take any treats from me until I put them on the ground. So sad but absolutely adorable
My best to this wonderful group in these very troubling times

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Well it's clear we all love our pets. Everyday I love them more. And my spoo's seem to be more emotional as they've gotten older. Which makes it all the more difficult when I hurt them. I shocked Princess on her nose via static electricity. Poor girl didn't get over that for a few weeks. She refused to take any treats from me until I put them on the ground. So sad but absolutely adorable
My best to this wonderful group in these very troubling times
Wow that is rough. I would be distraught if Misha was that upset.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have hurt Mochi when clipping her nails - cut to the quick once, and that was all it took to make her never trust me with her nails again. I later switched to a dremel sander, but early on went too far and got her quick again on the same paw. Now I can't do her nails unless my husband puts her in a strong hold. I tried all the treats in the world - she'd get as far as laying down for me and letting me turn on the dremel but the minute I tried to pick up a paw NOPE! Chuui I quicked once, but she just pulled her paw away and gave me a look that clearly said "that is gonna cost you more than the usual amount of treats, lady."

I also stepped on Mochi once when trying to not get run over by an SUV at an intersection. I realized the vehicle wasn't slowing down as it turned into our lane when we were crossing, so I started running. Mochi thought it was great fun and starting to cross in front of me and we both went down. Luckily, with an inch or two between my back and the vehicle. She screamed and I dropped the leash as I fell. When I called her back she came right away (thankfully - she had been running off down the avenue!) She seemed unfazed by getting stepped on by me, but I still took her to the vet right away. All was well, and now I don't cross the street with them until I pull the leash up short so they are right next to me.

I'm reminded of the joke I saw somewhere that says dogs don't understand why humans trip on them in the dark; they think we got up in the middle of the night just to kick them.:p

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
I cut Asta with the scissors when he was a 2-year old. He has never forgiven me. Now DH has to do all the scissoring and he is lazy about it so most of the time Asta looks like a ragamuffin.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I’ve nicked the three older dogs a couple times when I was learning how to groom them and I still occasionally cut the quick on a nail but they dont have long lasting issues from it. I feel terrible when it happens, they are so trusting and it makes me feel like such a schmuck.

·
Registered
492 Posts
these are humorous stories.
a very welcome respite from all the current restrictions.
thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts