Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14.5 year old tpoo has dramatically deteriorated in his health since Sept 2019. I took videos of my precious fur baby walking on the leash at a JellyStone Park RV camping with my family. Coco was blind, but alert and happy and loving attention. Suddenly he was having difficulty breathing in Oct. Our veterinarian xrayed him and there was a very large ( in proportion to his body) neoplasm/tumor that is inoperable. We tried a course of titrated steroids to see if it relieved the dyspnea, which it did, but had some of the steroid side effects of excessive purposeless activity. Then I fell and broke my hip Nov 12 & had surgery. I am at my daughter’s now. But my tpoo, Coco has deteriorated so badly. He just walks/runs/spines in circles. He won’t settle down and let me hold him any more. He is 100% blind and I think 90% deaf. He has started a very weird crying yelp that sounds like a hound dogs’ baying. I’ve tried to cuddle him like he used to do, but he only tolerates approx 2 minutes then starts the howling cry and fights being held.
I love him so much. I can’t stand to think he’s in pain. My family told me I need to think about the quality of his life and about letting him go “over the rainbow bridge”.
Thanks that I have been able to put this down and get some perspective.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I’m so sorry you have to make this decision. It sounds like your baby is confused and scared. Possibly in pain because of the tumor. What is your vet’s advice? It sounds like her quality of life is no longer very good from what you described. This is the worst thing to decide, I had to in October, but with a critically ill terminal pet. I know it is difficult, but think of what will be best for your beloved pet. If they are no longer themselves, they are already partially gone. I pray you can find peace in whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
I'm in tears for you and Coco. I'm so sorry. It sounds like he's in tremendous pain :(

No one can tell you what to do. You know your Coco best. Listen to him with your heart and your gut.

I let my Gracie go when she was having trouble breathing. A vet kindly came in after-hours to meet us at a clinic we'd never even been to before. It was all so surreal. I never thought I'd be going home without her. I thought he'd be able to help her. Gracie was still taking treats from me until her last moments, and she'd have done anything in her power to stay by my side. Because that's what our heart dogs do.

Sending you love at this indescribably difficult time.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My 14.5 year old tpoo has dramatically deteriorated in his health since Sept 2019. I took videos of my precious fur baby walking on the leash at a JellyStone Park RV camping with my family. Coco was blind, but alert and happy and loving attention. Suddenly he was having difficulty breathing in Oct. Our veterinarian xrayed him and there was a very large ( in proportion to his body) neoplasm/tumor that is inoperable. We tried a course of titrated steroids to see if it relieved the dyspnea, which it did, but had some of the steroid side effects of excessive purposeless activity. Then I fell and broke my hip Nov 12 & had surgery. I am at my daughter’s now. But my tpoo, Coco has deteriorated so badly. He just walks/runs/spines in circles. He won’t settle down and let me hold him any more. He is 100% blind and I think 90% deaf. He has started a very weird crying yelp that sounds like a hound dogs’ baying. I’ve tried to cuddle him like he used to do, but he only tolerates approx 2 minutes then starts the howling cry and fights being held.
I love him so much. I can’t stand to think he’s in pain. My family told me I need to think about the quality of his life and about letting him go “over the rainbow bridge”.
Thanks that I have been able to put this down and get some perspective.
So sorry to hear about your poor boy and your own health issues. Several years ago we faced the same decision with our 14 year old Standard Schnauzer who had cancer . We had a great vet who was able to manage his quality of life, and he had many months of obvious enjoyment. The vet carefully explained what signs I needed to watch for, and encouraged me to phone any time for questions or just to talk. One day the signs were unmistakable, and I took dear Fritz to the vet for confirmation. This good vet gently told me he was now in serious pain, and beyond help. We brought him home so family members could come to say Farewell, and took him for his final trip to the vet the next morning. He died peacefully in my arms, his time of suffering mercifully short.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I’m sorry you and your beloved Coco are going through such a hard time. You are the best person to know when the time has come.

When I have to let go of a pet, I always ask myself if they are still enjoying life. When they stop eating and doing what they love most, then for me it is the sign I need. I feel it when they have to go. I believe they are telling me. I will not let my pets suffer, even if it means I will have my heart broken.

I hope you find your answers within yourself.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
This is such a hard thing. Your Coco is adorable, the love shines thru. Coco's quality of life is now is what is most important. What is he telling you?

This is no consolation, but whatever you decide and when, it is always with love, and that love does not end.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of Coco's health troubles. It is so heartbreaking to see your best friend's health fail them. If the vet is not able to do anything to improve her quality of life at this point, I would let her go. It is a kindness to your sweet Coco who is suffering. It takes great strength on your part to show the depth of love it takes to help her on this last most difficult journey. Sometimes it helps to have a vet make a home visit so your girl has all the comfort of home around her. My heart goes out to you in this difficult time.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I am so very sorry. It is the last and kindest gift we can make to our beloved animals, but it comes at a high cost to us. I think you already know what Coco is trying to tell you, and that he is in considerable distress and perhaps in pain. I would certainly ask the vet to come to you if you can afford it, and I hope you have family or friends to help you at this very sad time.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm so very sorry you are facing this with such a sweet and beautiful little dog. Without a doubt, if I were in your shoes, I would let him go so he doesn't suffer more. (((((Hugs)))))
I agree with MF. :(

What a beautiful poodle. You can tell that he has lived a very good life, was loved, and well cared for. Letting go is never easy.

·
Premium Member
23,149 Posts
I agree with MF and fjm. It is hard to do, but very generous to our furry ones to let go when they tell us it is time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi everyone, first, apologies for my inexperience in writing and attaching photos. I only intended one photo of Coco.
My son in law is being discharged from hospital; leukemia is in remission!! That’s a huge PTL!
I needed to hear all the loving advice and support. I’m going to call our veterinarian to take Coco to see if he says there is anything that will help him (Coco ) get better/feel better. If there is anything that will help him then I should do that. And if not, then make the necessary arrangements for him to “go over the rainbow bridge”
Thanks,
Sue

·
Premium Member
23,149 Posts
I am glad you have the good news that your SIL's leukemia is in remission.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Oh dear, I have an enormous tummy ache in reading about both your dear poodle and your son in law. I am praying for both.

My Spoo is now 10 and is the most perfect dog I have ever had. I just wish he could be 3 forever! I am having a hard time not projecting my own thoughts into the future. I know I would not want him to suffer. Any of these discussions also make me think of fellow human friends also near end of life. What sad and scary dilemmas.

Blessings and peace.....

·
Premium Member
9,687 Posts
I am so sorry you are facing this with Coco, in addition to your own and a SIL’s health issues. That’s a lot of stress. Your poodle is a handsome little guy and I bet he loved every minute of his life and that was reciprocated by his people. It’s the most unselfish act we can do for our pets - to let them go. I have only heard regret from owners who waited too long. Animals are so stoic. Hugs to you from Houston.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Hugs to you. Not an easy time, even though your head knows what the right decisions is, your heart is in a whole different place. Agree with MFMST, the regret is when waiting too long. Take care of yourself and give that sweet boy lots of hugs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts