Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have long known of the dangers of eucalyptus and other essential oils with regard to dogs. Ingestion can cause seizures or be fatal at worst; however, it did not occur to me that having it in the "air" would cause a problem.

The other night, my husband told me he was having trouble breathing. My natural inclination is to spring into action and solve the problem. He has asthma, among other things, and lost his ability to swallow and speak over a 13-year period. He can still swallow liquids for now. So I fixed up the humidifier and added a few drops of organic eucalyptus and peppermint. Told him to keep the bedroom door closed to prevent Raffi from inhaling too much of it.

Next morning, Rob was much better, Raffi not so good (even though he slept downstairs and my husband upstairs). His eyes were clouded over and red. He blinked and squinted uncomfortably. Wrote to one vet who suggested Similasan Allergy Relief drops. Fortunately I had some in the house. Didn't do much. Needed an ointment. By 9:00 PM, we were at the vet (it has been closed earlier owing to a snowstorm). I explained the situation, mentioned the eucalyptus, whereon the vet agreed that it was the most likely problem. Administering the antibiotic ointment now and he appears to be getting better.

Beware of diffusers or humidifiers with essential oils--organic or not--in the presence of pups and older dogs.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Wow, good warning. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: wartorn

·
Registered
443 Posts
Have long known of the dangers of eucalyptus and other essential oils with regard to dogs. Ingestion can cause seizures or be fatal at worst; however, it did not occur to me that having it in the "air" would cause a problem.

The other night, my husband told me he was having trouble breathing. My natural inclination is to spring into action and solve the problem. He has asthma, among other things, and lost his ability to swallow and speak over a 13-year period. He can still swallow liquids for now. So I fixed up the humidifier and added a few drops of organic eucalyptus and peppermint. Told him to keep the bedroom door closed to prevent Raffi from inhaling too much of it.

Next morning, Rob was much better, Raffi not so good (even though he slept downstairs and my husband upstairs). His eyes were clouded over and red. He blinked and squinted uncomfortably. Wrote to one vet who suggested Similasan Allergy Relief drops. Fortunately I had some in the house. Didn't do much. Needed an ointment. By 9:00 PM, we were at the vet (it has been closed earlier owing to a snowstorm). I explained the situation, mentioned the eucalyptus, whereon the vet agreed that it was the most likely problem. Administering the antibiotic ointment now and he appears to be getting better.

Beware of diffusers or humidifiers with essential oils--organic or not--in the presence of pups and older dogs.
Not only for pups and older dogs, but also some dogs with medical conditions. While some are absolutely known to be toxic to dogs, I would not take any chances with any of them so would not diffuse any kind of essential oil in the house with dogs present (same goes for cats). There have actually been cases where dogs died. There is also the same issue with simmering potpourri which some people like to use to scent their houses.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts