Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions. I've emailed several breeders and of those, only 4 will have litters with the right timing for me.

One of them (Aery Poodles) I have already emailed twice and he still hasn't emailed me back. I've heard that you sometimes have to be assertive with breeders because sometimes people miss your emails or forget to email you back. Would it be appropriate to send a third email? When should I do that, or would it be better to try calling?

The other two breeders (Classic/Eaglehill South and Shiann) have not given specific times for their next litters. Classic/Eaglehill South has just said "mid summer," and Shiann said she'll let me know when something is available. I'm willing to wait, but I was wondering if it would be rude to ask if they could give me a more specific estimate for scheduling purposes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

How long has it been since you have emailed them? And how long between your first and last email? They could be busy or you might have to call them. This is a good resource for puppy buyer etiquette http://www.tntaussies.com/information.html I feel like it would be rude to ask for a more specific estimate. Good luck with your search!
This is very useful, thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
nm same info from other site :)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Regarding litter timing, that depends on exactly when females go into heat so there is a limit on how exact they can predict it. But they may be able to have some idea of expectations. I know with eaglehill-south she encourages regular communication while waiting for litters.

Is it possible to call Aery? I would email again after two weeks of non response. Sometimes people get super busy. Just be very polite.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regarding litter timing, that depends on exactly when females go into heat so there is a limit on how exact they can predict it. But they may be able to have some idea of expectations. I know with eaglehill-south she encourages regular communication while waiting for litters.

Is it possible to call Aery? I would email again after two weeks of non response. Sometimes people get super busy. Just be very polite.
Ah, I'll admit I'm not super familiar with dog anatomy or physiology of how breeding works. I can hold off asking then, it's really not a big deal. I will try calling Aery again in a couple of weeks.

In terms of regular communication, do you have recommendations on what to say in regular communication? She was so incredibly informative in her first email that I'm a bit at a loss for what to even ask her.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Ah, I'll admit I'm not super familiar with dog anatomy or physiology of how breeding works. I can hold off asking then, it's really not a big deal. I will try calling Aery again in a couple of weeks.

In terms of regular communication, do you have recommendations on what to say in regular communication? She was so incredibly informative in her first email that I'm a bit at a loss for what to even ask her.
It's possible she's changed how she does things from two years ago. But from what I remember from my communications with her, she said something like "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." Because she doesn't keep a strict waitlist until litters get close (or are born?). So those who are in regular contact are most likely to be considered for a pup. I think just simple communication that you are still interested is a good idea. I have been watching Cathi Winkles' pup from Eaglehill-South grow up the past several months. She is quite a character.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
I prefer to call breeders as many of them do not answer emails and I believe talking on the phone is much more efficient at showing who you are and also learning who they are. I am convinced that if a breeder likes you over the phone, your chances of being chosen for one of their puppies are way higher than for anyone writing an email.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts