Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

You all know I am hoping to get a Miniature Poodle next year. I have two Italian Greyhounds and a Whippet that I run in agility (I have also shown in conformation, obedience, rally and lure coursing over the last 15 years). So, while I am not new to dogs, I am new to dogs with hair! I have been reading a LOT on Poodle and grooming forums (and I bought Shirlee Kalstone's book - it's awesome!) trying to learn as much as I can. I am a veterinary technician and when I was in school (many moons ago!) I took a couple grooming classes. I have been making a list of equipment that I will need and thought I would run it by you all for recommendations.

1. Andis Ulta Edge 2 speed clippers
2. Blades (not sure on sizes? 30, 10, toe blade? - I am hoping to scissor the body)
3. Blade oil, wash and Kool Lube
4. Shears - curved and straight - I have large hands - can you recommend length/brand for me?
5. Pin Brush (Chris Christensen) and comb (fine/course)
6. Dryer - not sure on this one - suggestions welcome!
7. Shampoo and Conditioner (I love CC on my guys, so plan on using his stuff on the Poo too) and the Ice on Ice - love it!
8. Grooming table - I have a ring side table that might work, but will probably have to get a regular size table (go figure - I just gave my big table away to a friend with a SPoo that lost her's in a flood).

Any suggestions to add??

Thanks!
Marsha

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My only suggestion is to be sure you get a powerful dryer. I was new to Standard Poodles and bought the Metro forced air quick draw dryer. It blows at 165 mph but it's still not enough to get a good straight coat. It does work well on Toy and miniature Poo's but its just okay on my Standards. It takes atleast a hour to dry a adult coat and I know it could be straighter.

Otherwise it sounds like you got a good list!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
You may be able to use a ringside table for a mini poo, I don't see why you couldn't honetsly unless it's (like mine) unstable. Just attach a grooming arm and you're all set.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Secreto - I wasn't sure about a dryer as far as brand/model. I was hoping to get a non-stand dryer and then use a "third arm" to hold the hose if needed.

Wonderpup - my ringside table is pretty sturdy and I have a small grooming arm that will work - we'll see how that works.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Are you planning to show your poodle in the breed ring? If not then you shouldnt need a stand dryer or an arm a regular high velocity dryer will work fine and will get the coat straight and fluffy with no need to even use a brush.

I would sooooo use the ringside if it's large enough. Does your fold up in half or no? Mine does and I LOVE it if I could just get it stable. There is something wrong with the little knobs on the bottom that are supposed to stabelize the legs, they never seem to be right so the table wobbles.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Oh and about the shears, start with something in the 6 to 81/2 inch size range for both your straight and curves. I would personaly suggest the 8inchers. 6 inches is very small and while it might be easier to control the very small ones to start off with if you are planning on keeping any real length to the coat for a plush look it will take you forever to trim up with the 6 inch shears. 8 - 8 1/2 should be perfect for a mini. It's pretty much an all purpose lenght.
As for brands, thats up to you. I would suggest something from the heritage line. They are reasonable priced, light weight, smooth, and hold their edge well unless you don't take care of them. I use mine almost every day. No need to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of scissors if you're only grooming one dog.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you planning to show your poodle in the breed ring? If not then you shouldnt need a stand dryer or an arm a regular high velocity dryer will work fine and will get the coat straight and fluffy with no need to even use a brush.

I would sooooo use the ringside if it's large enough. Does your fold up in half or no? Mine does and I LOVE it if I could just get it stable. There is something wrong with the little knobs on the bottom that are supposed to stabelize the legs, they never seem to be right so the table wobbles.

This is similiar to the ringside table that I have:

http://www.showdogstore.com/champagne-tall-folding-ringside-grooming-table.aspx

I think mine is just a different brand (Midwest?). Anyway it folds in half - It has been so long since I have used it - probably about six years! I had to go look at it in the dogroom to remember which one it was! :rofl:

I don't plan on showing in conformation (performance only), but I do want to keep my mini looking nice and want to have the ringht equipment and tools to do it right.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8 - 8 1/2 should be perfect for a mini. It's pretty much an all purpose lenght. As for brands, thats up to you. I would suggest something from the heritage line.
Thank you VERY much for all your suggestions!! I don't mind spending a little extra for quality equipment. I just don't want to waste money the wrong equipment.

Where do you find heritage? There is a huge breed show coming up in September that I go to every year and thought I would do a lot of my shopping there (plus I would be able to get my hands on some shears to see how they feel). I know it's a ways away, but I am a total planner and list maker! :rofl:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
You can order them from several pet supply companies, they aren't bargin basement type shears, they are good quality. I purchased my vert first pair at a show from Rumbo pet supplies. I had to have them sharpened shortly there after but it was worth it. That was ummmm 6 or so years ago and they are still great shears.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Do you go to breed shows quite a bit? My sister and her hubby live down your way (Ocala). He is a professional handler.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts