Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We now wash and let him air dry

He looks like a ragamuffin! the hair on his lower back is so course !

it feels like my own hair lol

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
His color is amazing!! he looks so cute with his dreadlock do! LOL Billy's back is covered with hair like that to. Really tight and curly and a real pain to try to blow straight!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don’t think I’d let him air dry to much Roxy (even though he looks sooo adorable like that). You need to train his hair to be straight. I’m afraid you might have a more difficult time getting him straight when you’re prepping for a show and that might make you frustrated & nervous. I’m also glad he’s not fading. His color is really looking good & holding strong. Are you giving him food with tomato pulp in it? Many many years ago Eukanuba had tomato pulp in it & Lance’s chocolate littermate, Trevor, started turning red (Lance also got a red tinge to his coat but it went away when I changed his food). Trevor never got close to the pretty chocolate he started out as. Maybe some tomatoes would be good to help keep him nice & red?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t think I’d let him air dry to much Roxy (even though he looks sooo adorable like that). You need to train his hair to be straight. I’m afraid you might have a more difficult time getting him straight when you’re prepping for a show and that might make you frustrated & nervous. I’m also glad he’s not fading. His color is really looking good & holding strong. Are you giving him food with tomato pulp in it? Many many years ago Eukanuba had tomato pulp in it & Lance’s chocolate littermate, Trevor, started turning red (Lance also got a red tinge to his coat but it went away when I changed his food). Trevor never got close to the pretty chocolate he started out as. Maybe some tomatoes would be good to help keep him nice & red?
I am letting him air dry because its healthier for his hair than to dry it right now. I know it maybe be harder to get straight , but I have some tricks up my sleeve lol ;)

As for his color We won't know if he will fade or not untill he matures which can take years. It has nothing to do with what is fed to the dog it has to do with the fading gene. I am going to color test him at a lab , and I pray he is Dd or DD if he is dd he will fade.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read that you get mats from letting them air dry?
Is he getting knots at all?
Have to say I love his colour and his looks though
He has no knots or mats, his hair is short right now. We only aired dried him 2 times. After he is dry he is brushed out. If I never brush him he would have mats and knots and even dreadlocks lol

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
When I was growing coat on Tuesday I would put a conditioner on her and let her air dry as I did not want to put her in oil and dry her every week, so every other bath I would do it and she stayed mat free and looked cute!

I don't understand the straight hair thing, they are NOT suppose to have straight hair. Why do people do it?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
In the show ring the coat has to be as straight as possible, they do not like to see the curls, it throws off the balance of the cut/dog. I think it is kind of asinine lol! Since they are a curly coated breed why would you not want the curls, but you can not get the same look out of it as you can when it is straight.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
In the show ring the coat has to be as straight as possible, they do not like to see the curls, it throws off the balance of the cut/dog. I think it is kind of asinine lol! Since they are a curly coated breed why would you not want the curls, but you can not get the same look out of it as you can when it is straight.
Pfft, silly AKC people learn your standard! :p I think if you have the right coat texture it should stand up right and look smooth.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
LMAO!!!! I wonder why they do not want the water spaniel and the porty straight as well LOL!!!! JK, It makes it more difficult to get the look right in some ways lol. One reason I am looking more into UKC as apposed to AKC, the clips.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Air dryed Poodle hair doesnt just stand up, no matter what the texture...correct or not. Air dryed Poodle hair will not look smooth or have much body if its not blowed out. Maybe AKC is crazy for wanting the Poodles to look a certain way when they're presented but Im sure as heck not ever walking my Poodle in a AKC ring with a kinky dryed look.

Also if your using a forced air dryer, you shouldnt be causing much damage to the hair. I know we all have our own techniques but blowing out the coat is my own preference. I can trim up the stray hairs better weekly and I over all prefer a straighter coat vs kinky. Ive been guilty of doing it too. lol

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
LMAO!!!! I wonder why they do not want the water spaniel and the porty straight as well LOL!!!! JK, It makes it more difficult to get the look right in some ways lol. One reason I am looking more into UKC as apposed to AKC, the clips.
After you get going UKC, you will see why most people try it for awhile and decide to stay AKC. Plus if your really interested in ever producing Poodles, there is much more opportunity in AKC.

Dont get me wrong, UKC can be fun, but its like the beginner registry. Almost everyone that show's started UKC because its laid back and not taken as serious. Its hard to explain with out you showing in both and then comparing.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Right now all I have are altered toys, so I am happy that UKC has an altered class, I have been in the AKC ring and I actually was more worried about the pressure before I first stepped in then I was after I actually did it. I was sooooo scared! I look forward with keeping up the practice of the ring. I will go back into the AKC ring, but I think for now until I better at it I want to show UKC lol. AKC is my "dream" I have been told that I will NEVER finish a dog AKC myself that I would HAVE to have a pro handler and I plan on proving that person WRONG! lol

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Right now all I have are altered toys, so I am happy that UKC has an altered class, I have been in the AKC ring and I actually was more worried about the pressure before I first stepped in then I was after I actually did it. I was sooooo scared! I look forward with keeping up the practice of the ring. I will go back into the AKC ring, but I think for now until I better at it I want to show UKC lol. AKC is my "dream" I have been told that I will NEVER finish a dog AKC myself that I would HAVE to have a pro handler and I plan on proving that person WRONG! lol
Oh honey, Im there too. Thats what Im doing with Sting right now. I needed to learn the clip and play around first UKC and now Im ready (in 2 months or so) to go AKC. It wont be easy but I do have a black, beautiful male, so it will be ok. We will be atending handling classes for the next few months and Im still perfecting the clip. I know I have a really nice male that is show quality so it will happen eventually.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I wish you the BEST of luck, this has been a hard venture to get into and I keep trudging along and trying not to let the negative things hinder my optimisim so much I want to quit. Luck has not been on my side at all, but also lack of my own knowledge has worked against me in the past, I will make sure that my "mentor" is proven wrong in everything she said about me showing in a ring myself. I had 2 toy bitches that were supposed to be great, no, they were not. My fault just like the 1st 2 I tried, but the first 2 I was stupid enough to believe that I could actually get a good show dog from a pet poodle breeder. She NEVER showed, knew nothing about it and as they were in the beginning of my venture, I knew NOTHING. Now 1 1/2 yr later, I have learned well thought I learned what to look for, I was again wrong. My breeder "mentor" picked my pup for me as show quality, even said champion quality as her sire and dam were both champions and everything else she had told me I believed her. She was my "mentor" and I gave her that trust not to steer me wrong. Now, I am waiting, learning and networking to try to make sure that the pup(s) I choose in the future will be sound healthy quality animals that will be benificial to the preservation and betterment of the breed. I appriciate advise from seasoned breeders and handlers even if they would think the advise elementary.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts