Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier when Enzo, my 9 year old standard poodle, was diagnosed with elevated liver enzymes. Despite a course of demaren, his enzymes remained high so they recommended a liver biopsy. We had that done two weeks and while he had a rough few days, he is fully recovered and back to himself. Anyhow the results show an elevation in copper so the treatment is a low copper diet and six months of medications to remove the excess copper from his system. While he has some fibrosis in his liver, the overall prognosis looks good. I appreciated so much the support from this community. He continues to feel well so I am hopeful that he will tolerate the treatment ok. My biggest challenge is I now need to be sure each dog gets their own food so we will be moving from a free feeding system to designated separate meal times. Small price to pay. Thank you all again.

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
Good news that you have a diagnosis and a treatment plan - I hope he continues to improve.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,819 Posts
So glad you’ve got answers!

This is a totally new subject for me, so forgive my ignorance: What does a low-copper diet entail? Could you free feed them both the low-copper diet, and then just supplement your other dog’s diet with copper-rich treats?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So glad you’ve got answers!

This is a totally new subject for me, so forgive my ignorance: What does a low-copper diet entail? Could you free feed them both the low-copper diet, and then just supplement your other dog’s diet with copper-rich treats?
It is a prescription diet and not recommended for both dogs. Plus it is amazingly expensive. I will supplement it with extra protein as many on it cannot tolerate the protein but Enzo can. It is all doable, just a change but the outcome should be good.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,819 Posts
It is a prescription diet and not recommended for both dogs. Plus it is amazingly expensive. I will supplement it with extra protein as many on it cannot tolerate the protein but Enzo can. It is all doable, just a change but the outcome should be good.
When a special diet is involved, I’m sure we all wish we had toys! It sure adds up feeding a spoo.

Wishing Enzo well. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts