Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me some details on the signs of entropion. Poppy seems to constantly be getting hair from the outside edges of eyes into her eyes and I generally have to clear a little crud from the inside of her eyes each day. Could this be entropion or does her hiar just need to be cut shorter on the outside edges of her eyes, think this would be hard to do.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
When I worked at the shelter we had a St. Bernard mix with entropion. His eyelids actually were "turned in" and the eyelashes were rubbing his eyes. It wasn't just stray hairs getting in there, but the actual LID was skewed. Once he had the surgery he was great!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My two have some bits of crud every couple of days too. I think it's pretty common.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We used to have an English Bulldog, and she had entropion. She was CONSTANTLY rubbing at her eyes, rubbing them on furniture, rubbing on her paws, etc. It got to the point where she had stretchy mucous all over her eye, and her eye actually started to look cloudy. We had no idea, because she was constantly plagued with skin allergies and skin rashes, so we thought it was just another allergy. When she finally got diagnosed, we got her the surgery on both eyes. Hair in the eye can certainly cause irritation, but with entropion the entire eyelid is turned in and is constantly rubbing. It's pretty severe.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Yes, with entropin the actual eyelid (usually the lower lid) rolls in. Riley had entropion in both eyes, and went for surgery last summer. You will notice a Lot of tearing with this. Riley didnt paw at his eyes so much, but he was more squinty and teary. If you have any concerns about her eyes though then have your vet check her out. As long as the actual eye lid rests flat and tight around her eye then it is a hair issue instead. Here is a picture of Riley with the entropion before getting it fixed.

See how the lower lid turns in and you cant see the eye rim?

This is when i actually pulled the skin down to show how far it rolled. Notice the lower lid rim is visible now.

In this one you can see all the tearing he had. Also notice how he is squinting his eyes and they are not as open as the boxers? Entropion dogs are pretty uncomfortable with it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the answers. I was hoping it was just the hair and appreciate you all confirming that for me, I just wanted to make sure I was not misunderstanding all the info on the web.

thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts