Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys do this with your puppies? I am planning on teaching my puppy this. I know lots of people that think if they just exercise their dogs enough that they will be calm in the house (mainly these are not poodle people). They just build up an exercise tollerent dog that can go forever (like a jogger building up their running time). Their dogs are still crazy in the house and have never learned an off switch or how to be quiet if not sleeping.

I will obviously give my dogs exercise, training and mental stimulation. I will also do enforced down time inside. Either by crate, teather or stay command. I want to teach her how to just chill inside.

Do any of you do this or have opinions on it?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
In my opinion puppies are like babies, they need a lot of rest and naps. So yes I enforce down time and Mia gets a lot of rest.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yup, Paris had NO idea how to settle inside for a long long time, I had to MAKE her down-stay to settle her, and with making her do that, she has learned to settle down in the house. Sure she can still go nutty when the two are playing, but she'll settle quickly when I give the word too.

I couldn't stand it when she was bouncing off the walls inside! Nor could her foster mum which is one of the main reasons I could take her rather than her foster mum keep her as she was supposed to. lol!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I did this with all my dogs. My word for down time is “enough”. Once they hear that it’s like a switch... they go lay down and that’s the end of wrestling, barking etc.
I don’t use the word “stay” as I use the “stay” command as a ‘do not move’ .

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
It is so funny that you would bring this up, because I just heard about a training exercise called: Sit on Your Dog. The idea is that some dogs need to be taught patience. They need to learn that they can not be constantly marauding through the house or bugging their owners for attention.

A woman in my training group was shown the method at an obedience clinic and she told me about it last week. I was going to write about it here, but I wanted to talk to her again tonight so that I understood the steps of the method better.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I never had to do this, if I sit down (which I seem to do A LOT these days) mine just lay down and sleep as well. If I had a dog that needed it, you bet I would be teaching it though.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I have always had that since I don't like my dogs to be bouncing off of walls and marauding around the house. As soon as I hear or see them start to get too excited I say "Stop!" and they stop immediately then go lay down or find a toy to quietly play with. They were reluctant to give up their activity when they were younger but they learned soon enough that it was not negotiable. LOL

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Flip and Jack both know the 'bed' command (now with Jack we point to his bed)...and all of my previous dogs did as well.
I think training a stay/settledown/bed command is a brilliant idea.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I kind of unintentionally did this with Desmond. I had never heard of it as a training method until recently, but it worked wonders for us.
I hated taking him on walks for a very long time because he never seemed to enjoy them, he was always really wound up and anxious b/c of the noisy people and dogs in our neighborhood (skittish puppy he was..). He would still be very energetic and crazy when we got home, which drove me crazy since I was totally exhausted from our long walks. I began putting him in his crate if he was being too energetic inside. He usually had to go in for a little while every day to calm down, and it was incredibly effective. I made sure to never ever make him feel like he was being punished when he went into the crate though...
Now, he'll go lay in his crate to nap if we aren't playing. ;) He loves his crate, and understands that when I initiate play, we can play for a little while but otherwise he should be behaved inside. No running around like a maniac or anything like that here!

I think it's a great thing to teach your dogs. Exercise and play time is great for them, but they need to learn indoor manners just like any child would.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sadie gets a "that's enough!" when she's too rowdy in the house. She knows that means it's time to settle down, stop barking and get somewhere and be still.
If she doesn't listen the first time.. the second time gets louder and a deeper tone... never had to go beyond the second time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
30-minute down/stays are part of our daily routine. I have them all go to a designated dog bed, rug, mat, or whatever, where they remain until I release them. It comes in handy!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I guess I never though about it. Mine know "go to bed," but honestly if they are getting enough excercise (mental and physical) and I'm not rewarding the needy and/or rowdy behavior (by giving them attention for it) they're calm in the house. Bailey is the one who gets needy and Harley is the one who tends to get rambunctous and underfoot when he's been stuck indoors b/c of weather. I don't like dogs who are always bouncing off the wall and I'll expect my Spoo to be calm indoors. I do think that if dogs are constantly rowdy it's b/c 1) they aren't getting enough excercise (again mental and physical)or 2) they're somehow getting a pay off for their behavior.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts