Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a standard poodle who will turn 2 in April. She is extremely energetic! We thought she would slowly calm down around 18 months but she still acts like a puppy. We go for walks and give her plenty of mental stimulation and it seems to make her even more excited! We can go for a long walk in the morning, play mental stimulation games a bit afterwards and she still won’t settle down for hours after. Any tips on how to get her to relax during the day? We adore her butor can get exhausting at times.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Settling is a bit to do with training. Is she crate trained? Introducing a schedule where she is used to downtime can help her to need less activity. But also 18 months is still very young. 2-3 years is more expected for maturity, though spaying can potentially accelerate energy reduction as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Settling is a bit to do with training. Is she crate trained? Introducing a schedule where she is used to downtime can help her to need less activity. But also 18 months is still very young. 2-3 years is more expected for maturity, though spaying can potentially accelerate energy reduction as well.
Hi! She is crate trained and spayed. I will try to put her on a schedule for downtime. She sometimes goes to her crate on her own when she is tired.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My spoo is two and has really settled down lately. I did have to explicitly train her to calm and settle. I will still occasionally reward her if I see her lying quietly on the floor or couch, as behaviour that is noticed and rewarded tends to be repeated.

I taught her "Relax on a mat" to teach her to settle more quickly, and have also done a lot of work with long down stays when I am doing other things. For example, right now, I am in the kitchen and she is at an automatic down in the corner we used to practice down stays, because she knows dogs lying down quietly in that corner often get good things. A down stay is very mentally tiring, so is good to tire out a smart, energetic dog, and also teach them how to settle down.

Puzzle toys for her food, bones twice a week, and a chance to run like the wind off leash every 1-3 days are also really helpful for getting her to be a quiet, calm dog indoors.

·
Registered
738 Posts
"Setting the mood" has been one aspect of our strategy.

For example, Basil was being extra cranky after giving her so much attention today (9mo old) so I started to wind down at 7pm. She needs 18+ hours of sleep a day to keep homeostasis.

Got 20 minutes of fresh air doing a slow smell-stuff 2-3 block walk. Come in, take the toys away, pretend to yawn, dim the lights, close the blinds, have Alexa, play calm music. Have everyone in the house get on the same page to be boring, unexciting, and have quiet time like you might with a cranky sleep deprived whiny tiny human.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
It looks like you had similar concerns when she was 10 months old. Has there been any improvement since then? Were you able to get her on a routine? What does her average day look like?

I don't find that walks really tire Peggy out. Sniffy, long-leash hikes do. Play dates with other dogs do. Training does. But sidewalk walks, in a familiar area, are more about bonding and fresh air than draining her battery.

When she's restless during the day, it's often that she just doesn't know what to do with herself. That's why we were very strict about enforcing naps in her indoor exercise pen for much of her first year. If left to her own devices, she didn't really know what to do. She'd start poking around, looking for something interesting to get into. We had to teach her to settle.

At 19 months, she's better about getting sleep during the day, but every once in a while she seems to revert back to restless puppy brain. We no longer have the exercise pen, but we'll take her out for potty and then give her a snack and some fresh water in her crate. We don't generally hear a peep after that. Out like a light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like you had similar concerns when she was 10 months old. Has there been any improvement since then? Were you able to get her on a routine? What does her average day look like?

I don't find that walks really tire Peggy out. Sniffy, long-leash hikes do. Play dates with other dogs do. Training does. But sidewalk walks, in a familiar area, are more about bonding and fresh air than draining her battery.

When she's restless during the day, it's often that she just doesn't know what to do with herself. That's why we were very strict about enforcing naps in her indoor exercise pen for much of her first year. If left to her own devices, she didn't really know what to do. She'd start poking around, looking for something interesting to get into. We had to teach her to settle.

At 19 months, she's better about getting sleep during the day, but every once in a while she seems to revert back to restless puppy brain. We no longer have the exercise pen, but we'll take her out for potty and then give her a snack and some fresh water in her crate. We don't generally hear a peep after that. Out like a light.
She has improved a bit but is still restless. I do put her in her crate for some downtime during the day. I also didn’t mention we have another dog and she loves chasing him but he gets angry with her because she plays too rough with him. I do put her in her crate at those moments also to calm her down. I actually went for a short walk with her before dinner yesterday and it seemed to tire her out more than long walks, so I will try multiple short walks instead of 2 longer ones.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi! I have a standard poodle who will turn 2 in April. She is extremely energetic! We thought she would slowly calm down around 18 months but she still acts like a puppy. We go for walks and give her plenty of mental stimulation and it seems to make her even more excited! We can go for a long walk in the morning, play mental stimulation games a bit afterwards and she still won’t settle down for hours after. Any tips on how to get her to relax during the day? We adore her butor can get exhausting at times.
Thanks
I have a seven year old miniature poodle and she has lot's of energy as well. We take long walks and sometimes I just let her run in the park. That's when she is so happy. Bella was crate trained for one year when I first got her at 4 months old. Poodles have more energy than other dogs. I was reading that a poodle doesn't slow down until he or she is 12 years old. When Bella runs around, many people think she is younger than what she is. Keep your poodle stimulated with mental games also and let her run in the park if you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts