Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many of us our internet providers, cell phone services or just us ourselves will set the clocks back an hour tonight. In some ways this means an extra hour of sleep, but it also could mean an extra hour tomorrow to train your dog, do some grooming or go for a fun walk with your pal. For me it means I have some extra time for grading papers tomorrow and it means it should be easier to get up for work on the days where that time matters since it will be light earlier. for some people I know having it get dark earlier is a bummer, but I'll take the morning light myself.

What are you going to do with your extra hour (if you are getting one)?

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I have grown to really detest daylight savings which apparently doesn’t save us anything. The shift in time doesn’t bother me, but I prefer a gradual and natural shift in light rather than the abrupt change that occurs twice a year when we change our clocks.

I’ll probably sleep in with my dog.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
On California's ballot is the vote to not change our clocks! Right now the only state who does that is Arizona................I hope it passes.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Mollymuima, wow! I didn’t realize that it was on your ballot! I wish it was on ours. I used to not kindness having daylight savings but now I hate it as my son doesn’t sleep the extra hour so it takes forever to get him back on schedule.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
Clocks in the UK changed last weekend. As the dogs and I tend to wake up when it gets light at this time of year it doesn't make a huge difference to our mornings, but means much more night driving - it is already dark by 4.30pm and sunset at the winter solstice is around 3.45pm. The one good thing about the way time gallops as you get older is that winter doesn't seem to last as long as it did when I was a child - roll on Spring!

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
6,412 Posts
Well day light savings didn't stop me from waking up like I do normally between 3-4 a.m., I'll probably enjoy my drive top work tomorrow as it won't be pitch black when I leave.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well yes, I am terribly confused. I sort of just got up although I have been awake for several hours.

I think there has been more widespread discussion of stopping changing the clocks in other places, but I guess it needs to be done state by state since apparently it isn't a federal matter. I do remember a year where we didn't change clocks back in the 70s because of the energy crisis. But was it that we never went to standard time or never went to daylight savings? Anybody else remember, I'd look it up but I am too confused.....

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Well last night and not so unusual f or me zIZ woke up at 1 am and didn't fall back to sleep till nearly 3 after tossing and turning.. When I woke up this morning and looked at my phone it was 6 am, my usual time to get up and take care of dogs but it was really 7 in y mind so I had to get busy. No one seemed to mind so that was a good thing.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reactions: glorybeecosta

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
We just need a California and a few other influential states to stop daylight savings then the rest will follow suit. I think it won’t be too long before daylight savings is history.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I'm so happy to have my hour back. For some reason, i never adjusted to losing the hour this year. Such a relief. I already go home in the dark anyway. Wish they'd never spring forward again :).

·
Registered
732 Posts
When I was working it took me forever to adjust ( as well as my students) so I hate the clock changing business too.

This morning though I have to say I did like having the extra hour since I had to get up at 4:30 am to drive to a 10 mile race I do each month. It was pouring rain and I had to make sure baby Aero did his business under the umbrella before I left. It rained hard the whole hour drive in the dark, then during the entire race. Luckily it was only 60 F but it was still windy. When I got up this morning I kept thinking it is really 5:30 am so that isn't so bad, and thank goodness for the extra hour. Now it is bright, sunny and very beautiful day!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
On California's ballot is the vote to not change our clocks! Right now the only state who does that is Arizona................I hope it passes.

It all depends on where in a time zone you are located. We are right in the middle of Mountain Time. I like Daylight Savings Time - I'd rather have light longer in the afternoon than in the morning.

Actually, while most of Arizona stays on standard time all year, the Navajo switch to Daylight Saving Time - I suppose that's because the Navajo reservation is in four states, three of which change to DST.

A ranger at Grand Canyon once told me that the question most frequently asked there is "What time IS it?". If you drive west from New Mexico to Grand Canyon, you start in MDT. At the Arizona border you change to MST until you enter the Navajo nation and go back to MDT. Once you exit the Navajo nation you change back to MST. It does make people crazy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts