Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy came paper trained. I have been sick with the stomach flu this week, so it worked out OK, but now that I'm on the mend I'd like him to do his duty outside. How do I encourage him to poop outside? I've tried putting paper out on the lawn, that didn't do anything. I can tell he has to poop because he is making super stinky farts, and that's what he does right before he poops. I have never had a problem housetraining a dog before. Help!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Can you take him for a walk as soon as you smell the farts? Just walk until he poops--I think the walking helps stimulate it. LOL

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
LOL! Even a short walk around your house will stir your pup right up. Once you smell the pre-poop head outside with the paper. Also if you allow the pup to go on the paper, leave it on the paper, take outside with the pup so they remember.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The other thing we tell folks to try is if you know your puppy has to potty, but doesn't go when you are outside, put them in their kennel for 10-15 minutes (so they can't go in the house - and this is assuming they will NOT potty in their kennel) and then go out and try again.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I think it was mostly nerves plus my being sick. Over the weekend we had no poop in the house. He refuses to poop on walks. My husband walkedr him over an hour, and then we had to leave him in the yard another 30 minutes and he finally pooped. Stubborn little thing :lol:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well, I think it was mostly nerves plus my being sick. Over the weekend we had no poop in the house. He refuses to poop on walks. My husband walkedr him over an hour, and then we had to leave him in the yard another 30 minutes and he finally pooped. Stubborn little thing :lol:
hey...at least it's better than him pooping everywhere!! :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
When first potty training don't allow the pup to play in the yard/potty area. Play anywhere else but there. (once they have it down pat then it's okay to play) If the dog doesn't go fairly quickly once out, back into the crate they go for another 10-15 minutes.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts