Poodle Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hahaha! Those yummy, still steaming horse buns are irresistible. Whenever I stay at my sister in law s (5 horses, lots of sheep) I am constantly yelling at Charlie to stop snacking. He looks up with a mouthful - and it makes me gag. No licky kisses for sure

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
  • Having handy fresh cow pies I'm constantly telling Emma "drop it" which is her command to stop and or drop whatever she's got in her mouth or is doing. Sho far so gotta it works well 99% of the time. Many times when I'm around the barn I hook her to my belt loop with a bucket hanger and we work on heeling, not bolting after errant cats, and just general "pay attention to ME". A lot of the time her attention span is the same as a gnat! The connection that leaves my hands free is nice. Today after two days off my work for knee injection there was no training, just play and blowing off her pent up steam. We usually spend from 6:30 or 7 till 9 or 10 AM feeding, cleaning and watering and outside till 10:30 or 11. Then snack/nap till 2 or so then out again for another hour or two. Back in for snack/nap till 4:30 or 5 and then feed again and exercise, learn (maybe) then back in for another snack and hang out or nap till 8 then repeat at 10:30-11 and in for the night. Is she's feeling cuddly she asks to get in my bed if not she parks by my bed on the floor ro later end up on the sofa when she's due I'm not going to move except to let the cat in and out, usually 2:30 and 6:30 unless it's raining then no one moves till I'm up. Emma doesn't mind the rain at all but the rest of the crew are petrified they'll melt...... but out they go no matter. I have a shed over my camper trailer I live in so there's always a dry spot to do business. Next day, wash, rinse and repeat......... my life. All good.

·
Registered
337 Posts
  • Having handy fresh cow pies I'm constantly telling Emma "drop it" which is her command to stop and or drop whatever she's got in her mouth or is doing. Sho far so gotta it works well 99% of the time. Many times when I'm around the barn I hook her to my belt loop with a bucket hanger and we work on heeling, not bolting after errant cats, and just general "pay attention to ME". A lot of the time her attention span is the same as a gnat! The connection that leaves my hands free is nice. Today after two days off my work for knee injection there was no training, just play and blowing off her pent up steam. We usually spend from 6:30 or 7 till 9 or 10 AM feeding, cleaning and watering and outside till 10:30 or 11. Then snack/nap till 2 or so then out again for another hour or two. Back in for snack/nap till 4:30 or 5 and then feed again and exercise, learn (maybe) then back in for another snack and hang out or nap till 8 then repeat at 10:30-11 and in for the night. Is she's feeling cuddly she asks to get in my bed if not she parks by my bed on the floor ro later end up on the sofa when she's due I'm not going to move except to let the cat in and out, usually 2:30 and 6:30 unless it's raining then no one moves till I'm up. Emma doesn't mind the rain at all but the rest of the crew are petrified they'll melt...... but out they go no matter. I have a shed over my camper trailer I live in so there's always a dry spot to do business. Next day, wash, rinse and repeat......... my life. All good.
You would love my Mom (83) and Dad.(90 this year) Dad has to use a walker, but he is still out in the barn whenever there is not too much ice or bitter cold. He fastens a crutch to the back of the riding mower and is blissful all summer. There is at least 6 acres around the houses and pond that he mows and the cut grass is fed to the sheep. Of course no pesticides used. Mom still gardens, and they pile a lot of firewood and help operate the wood splitter with my brother. Thankfully no cow pies, but last year my brother had a Tom Fool idea to let a crew of Gestapo Geese wander loose around the farm yard. They marched in formation, terrorized the cats, my sister in law s poor old collie, and regularly chased unsuspecting guests up onto the loading platform with their awful hissing and pecking. We were staying in our travel trailer on Dad's driveway, and those Devils started to lie in wait behind the shrubbery and attack when anyone came out of the trailer. The second time, I was just rounding the corner with Charlie the Poodle and the geese attacked my husband. All I said to Charlie was "get it" . He silently assessed the threat to one of his people and started to make short rushes from all sides, dancing backwards too fast for the stabbing beaks to land. He was efficiently bunching and herding the swearing, hissing geese away. Within minutes he had them in full flight, yelling across the barnyard and hissing impotent threats. Charlie did not make a sound, and trotted back to the trailer as soon as the threat was neutralized. From then on, Charlie had only to make an appearance and the Barnyard Bullies would flee in craven terror, hiding in the cedar hedge until he was out of sight. He never chased them again

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You would love my Mom (83) and Dad.(90 this year) Dad has to use a walker, but he is still out in the barn whenever there is not too much ice or bitter cold. He fastens a crutch to the back of the riding mower and is blissful all summer. There is at least 6 acres around the houses and pond that he mows and the cut grass is fed to the sheep. Of course no pesticides used. Mom still gardens, and they pile a lot of firewood and help operate the wood splitter with my brother. Thankfully no cow pies, but last year my brother had a Tom Fool idea to let a crew of Gestapo Geese wander loose around the farm yard. They marched in formation, terrorized the cats, my sister in law s poor old collie, and regularly chased unsuspecting guests up onto the loading platform with their awful hissing and pecking. We were staying in our travel trailer on Dad's driveway, and those Devils started to lie in wait behind the shrubbery and attack when anyone came out of the trailer. The second time, I was just rounding the corner with Charlie the Poodle and the geese attacked my husband. All I said to Charlie was "get it" . He silently assessed the threat to one of his people and started to make short rushes from all sides, dancing backwards too fast for the stabbing beaks to land. He was efficiently bunching and herding the swearing, hissing geese away. Within minutes he had them in full flight, yelling across the barnyard and hissing impotent threats. Charlie did not make a sound, and trotted back to the trailer as soon as the threat was neutralized. From then on, Charlie had only to make an appearance and the Barnyard Bullies would flee in craven terror, hiding in the cedar hedge until he was out of sight. He never chased them again

Good boy, Gooood boy! I'm afraid Emma, at this stage would LOVE to do that but tasting feathers all the way. My toy Aussie Annie would definitely take care of the matter since she's already accomplished at herding. Her cue is me clucking as in encouraging a horse to move on..... and she will, all 12# of her. I'd be at a loss to give Emma enough exercise with out my Annie to be her auto wind play toy with teeth for corrective attitude adjustments when required. I just let em short things out and Emma is getting much more thoughtful about harassing the other dogs, cats and me. Work in progress.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Good boy, Gooood boy! I'm afraid Emma, at this stage would LOVE to do that but tasting feathers all the way. My toy Aussie Annie would definitely take care of the matter since she's already accomplished at herding. Her cue is me clucking as in encouraging a horse to move on..... and she will, all 12# of her. I'd be at a loss to give Emma enough exercise with out my Annie to be her auto wind play toy with teeth for corrective attitude adjustments when required. I just let em short things out and Emma is getting much more thoughtful about harassing the other dogs, cats and me. Work in progress.
I love hearing about you and Emma

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Had a strange hectic couple of days. When Emma and I did chores last night we ran out of gas at the farthest pen so had to stagger back to the barn with Emma running circles around me trying to tell me I forgot the buggy. Went for groceries and gasand Emma just KNEW she was gonna get to go, not. Parked her butt behind the car so I'd have to open the hatch to let her in, nope. One unhappy girl. Got back, forgot the gas, another run to the station and funnel on the can leaked so bad I just left the whole mess sitting there till daylight. This morning went thru 3 spouts to get one that didn't pour gas out all over the tank. Emma helped but wasn't impressed by the smell. Got all that done only to find my dear son in law who fed for me while I was on restricted activity for knee didn't clean poop. What a mess. Some of it won't go thru the Newer Spreader so it'll be wheelbarrow aaaannnd one of the ranch hands doing that! New broodmare here needed a good brushing and untangling and get are terrible. Emma's trying to make up with her. She knows the old gal can't get around very fast so she's been sneaking into her pen to visit. I used to do corrective hood trimming so am starting on that right away before baby comes. Just picking them out good seemed to hello but I'll need a sharp pair of nippers, rasp and my standard purple dope. Will probably take 6 months to get her feet to normal but there's some snapping and popping in her ankle joints so she probably has arthritis like me. I'll not be able to fix everything but just giving her some relief will be good. Never could understand why people let their horse's feet get so bad. Some folks either just don't know or just don't care. Wish it wasn't so difficult for me to figure out how to share pics, got a cute ingre if Emma guarding the gate in the cow pasture this morning while I spread the horse poop out there. Took her job real serious after I showed her that those girls weren't allowed out the gate! Annie went to the house rather than sit in the gate and guard. She's a spazz sometimes, very timid about taking direction reacting like she's being scolded. She's always been that way but give her a squirrel or opossum and she's ago getter. Can't catch squirrels but kills opossums. Busy day and I'm pitted and stiff from all the extra walking. Think dogs are tired as well since they got 5 hours working outside this morning and another 2 this evening while I bandaged the stud colt's nasty wounded leg (another long sad story) and fed.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Had a strange hectic couple of days. When Emma and I did chores last night we ran out of gas at the farthest pen so had to stagger back to the barn with Emma running circles around me trying to tell me I forgot the buggy. Went for groceries and gasand Emma just KNEW she was gonna get to go, not. Parked her butt behind the car so I'd have to open the hatch to let her in, nope. One unhappy girl. Got back, forgot the gas, another run to the station and funnel on the can leaked so bad I just left the whole mess sitting there till daylight. This morning went thru 3 spouts to get one that didn't pour gas out all over the tank. Emma helped but wasn't impressed by the smell. Got all that done only to find my dear son in law who fed for me while I was on restricted activity for knee didn't clean poop. What a mess. Some of it won't go thru the Newer Spreader so it'll be wheelbarrow aaaannnd one of the ranch hands doing that! New broodmare here needed a good brushing and untangling and get are terrible. Emma's trying to make up with her. She knows the old gal can't get around very fast so she's been sneaking into her pen to visit. I used to do corrective hood trimming so am starting on that right away before baby comes. Just picking them out good seemed to hello but I'll need a sharp pair of nippers, rasp and my standard purple dope. Will probably take 6 months to get her feet to normal but there's some snapping and popping in her ankle joints so she probably has arthritis like me. I'll not be able to fix everything but just giving her some relief will be good. Never could understand why people let their horse's feet get so bad. Some folks either just don't know or just don't care. Wish it wasn't so difficult for me to figure out how to share pics, got a cute ingre if Emma guarding the gate in the cow pasture this morning while I spread the horse poop out there. Took her job real serious after I showed her that those girls weren't allowed out the gate! Annie went to the house rather than sit in the gate and guard. She's a spazz sometimes, very timid about taking direction reacting like she's being scolded. She's always been that way but give her a squirrel or opossum and she's ago getter. Can't catch squirrels but kills opossums. Busy day and I'm pitted and stiff from all the extra walking. Think dogs are tired as well since they got 5 hours working outside this morning and another 2 this evening while I bandaged the stud colt's nasty wounded leg (another long sad story) and fed.
You are absolutely amazing! I am simply in awe of your tremendous stamina and abilities.Please be very careful with your knees while doing this. It is very hard on the knees, and there is always the danger of the horse abruptly yanking and doing harm to you. I used to help my Dad trim and shape hooves. When I was a teenager he would even shoe my horse for me. He trained with a Mennonite blacksmith when he was a young man. I've been helping hold the ewes for foot trimming when I go back home now. What a good dog Emma is. Loved the photo! This is Charlie after a haircut
IMG_20190106_1451448.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just had to send you this photo. Look carefully. Under all of that snow is my son in law s pick up truck. All you can see are the side windows . It was -22 degrees Celsius several times last week with crazy snow dumps. I believe that it will not be moving until spring thaw ....
IMG_20200118_1539445.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You are absolutely amazing! I am simply in awe of your tremendous stamina and abilities.Please be very careful with your knees while doing this. It is very hard on the knees, and there is always the danger of the horse abruptly yanking and doing harm to you. I used to help my Dad trim and shape hooves. When I was a teenager he would even shoe my horse for me. He trained with a Mennonite blacksmith when he was a young man. I've been helping hold the ewes for foot trimming when I go back home now. What a good dog Emma is. Loved the photo! This is Charlie after a haircut View attachment 463947

Yes, hard on everything that's why I quit a few years ago. No trouble bending over but a bugger ro straighten up. I did about 15 regular as a "hobby" used a 4" angle grinder for most of the work. Never got kicked or jumped on, even the mule was good, but working here first year a fully is just turned out in the arena tapped me on the thigh leaving a separated muscle and permanent dent. They hadn't removed her shoes from the track yet either. Walking, even just being awake, was difficult for many, many, many moons. Didn't think i was going to be able to stagger out of the arena let alone finish feeding but I did. No steak cleaning that day or for several after, my daughter was still married and she then and she helped then along with the main ranch chores. I survived bur never turned one out again except from the other side of the gate. What doesn't kill you makes you strong I guess, or its just not your time right then.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes, hard on everything that's why I quit a few years ago. No trouble bending over but a bugger ro straighten up. I did about 15 regular as a "hobby" used a 4" angle grinder for most of the work. Never got kicked or jumped on, even the mule was good, but working here first year a fully is just turned out in the arena tapped me on the thigh leaving a separated muscle and permanent dent. They hadn't removed her shoes from the track yet either. Walking, even just being awake, was difficult for many, many, many moons. Didn't think i was going to be able to stagger out of the arena let alone finish feeding but I did. No steak cleaning that day or for several after, my daughter was still married and she then and she helped then along with the main ranch chores. I survived bur never turned one out again except from the other side of the gate. What doesn't kill you makes you strong I guess, or its just not your time right then.
Hate these speller thingies. Might as well type every single letter rather than the "handy" swipe deal. Have to religiously check every sentence tho prevent, sometimes embarrassing, errors. Too sleepy still, sorry.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hate these speller thingies. Might as well type every single letter rather than the "handy" swipe deal. Have to religiously check every sentence tho prevent, sometimes embarrassing, errors. Too sleepy still, sorry.
No worries. I am good at puzzling it out. A lifetime of editing copy. Today we get to host our 20 month old grandson! A whole day here at our own place. We always go to their house
.his parents need to spend a day picking out kitchen reno stuff with out the little maurauder "helping " . William loose in a hardware store

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No worries. I am good at puzzling it out. A lifetime of editing copy. Today we get to host our 20 month old grandson! A whole day here at our own place. We always go to their house
.his parents need to spend a day picking out kitchen reno stuff with out the little maurauder "helping " . William loose in a hardware store

I had 5 and can relate. Grands were never a big problem as all but 3 were located far away.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes, I've thought about my mortality since my husband passed 3 years ago. I made end of life arrangements with family and friends for my crew if I should pass before them. One is 15 now and won't see 16, one is 12, my mini Schnauzer, and he is very healthy so some years possible as the last one lived to 17, there's Annie the Toy Aussie mix who is 5 this year and could live many more years but has a intermittent cough from a trachea issue so who knows for sure... and then there's Emma. Should she live to 15, and if I'm still kicking, I'd be 85. So my directive covers my possible incapacitation, or commitment, and inevitable death. That's all I can do for them and enjoy the time we all have left. Whenever my time is up I'm fine with it, not wishing, just prepared.
It's a great idea for all of us to have a plan and/or will that includes our dogs because life is unpredictable, but I figure if I can when I'm a senior and maybe don't want to have any more young dogs that might outlive me, I'd love to take the oldest dogs from a shelter that I can and provide a comfie life for their last years. Maybe some will not have had soft beds by the fireplace or a big property to explore and all the exciting wildlife smells at our place.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What a great thought for you! Who knows what the future will bring. When my husband passed we were in the midst of travel plans, no illness known and after recent physical saying he was fine. Two months later flu like symptoms one day, wouldn't go to Dr. next morning up outside inspecting pond and garden with the dog pack in tow then within 3 hours he was gone. We must all take it one day at a time, one foot in front of the other and be ready to meet up in heaven in an instant. I'm in no big hurry but ready whenever. Its all good.

·
Registered
337 Posts
What a great thought for you! Who knows what the future will bring. When my husband passed we were in the midst of travel plans, no illness known and after recent physical saying he was fine. Two months later flu like symptoms one day, wouldn't go to Dr. next morning up outside inspecting pond and garden with the dog pack in tow then within 3 hours he was gone. We must all take it one day at a time, one foot in front of the other and be ready to meet up in heaven in an instant. I'm in no big hurry but ready whenever. Its all good.
What a good attitude! Something like that happened to our dearest lifelong friends. They had put off all travel plans "until Tom retires" . Jane died two years before that day. Within a year we accepted a sale offer for the business we had founded and that I ran, and my husband gave his company a year's notice. We sold 3/4 of our possessions and moved across the country. `we spend months of the year camping

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
What a good attitude! Something like that happened to our dearest lifelong friends. They had put off all travel plans "until Tom retires" . Jane died two years before that day. Within a year we accepted a sale offer for the business we had founded and that I ran, and my husband gave his company a year's notice. We sold 3/4 of our possessions and moved across the country. `we spend months of the year camping

Wish we'd had more time. Did get 5 years tho and that's so much more than so very many folks get. We turned our masonry business over to our boysbut retained enough tools sho that he and I could do some small jobs for extra spending cash. I miss that extra cash a bunch now. Can't afford to go anywhere much besides the grocery store once a month, ranch for mail and trash run once a week, church and it to lunch with a friend Sundays. Sometimes my friend takes me with him to the race track to see the ingre race horse he had that was raised from an orphan. I don't bet, jinxes the horse. After having the farm, businesses, greenhouse, horse activities, raising 5 kids, hunting and fishing life now seems pretty dull....... except for Emma and my memories of the 5 years of travel we had. Still, life is pretty good and still have my memories!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wish we'd had more time. Did get 5 years tho and that's so much more than so very many folks get. We turned our masonry business over to our boysbut retained enough tools sho that he and I could do some small jobs for extra spending cash. I miss that extra cash a bunch now. Can't afford to go anywhere much besides the grocery store once a month, ranch for mail and trash run once a week, church and it to lunch with a friend Sundays. Sometimes my friend takes me with him to the race track to see the ingre race horse he had that was raised from an orphan. I don't bet, jinxes the horse. After having the farm, businesses, greenhouse, horse activities, raising 5 kids, hunting and fishing life now seems pretty dull....... except for Emma and my memories of the 5 years of travel we had. Still, life is pretty good and still have my memories!
What a marvellous and eventful life you have had. I love your positive mental attitude

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's a great idea for all of us to have a plan and/or will that includes our dogs because life is unpredictable, but I figure if I can when I'm a senior and maybe don't want to have any more young dogs that might outlive me, I'd love to take the oldest dogs from a shelter that I can and provide a comfie life for their last years. Maybe some will not have had soft beds by the fireplace or a big property to explore and all the exciting wildlife smells at our place.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
I like your idea. Maybe a little old dog from a shelter is in my future too. We once adopted a dog whose owners had to go into a care facility and he was a fine companion

21 - 38 of 38 Posts