Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday Sandy started acting really odd. She kept nudging me, and then when I let her out she acted like she wanted me to follow her but then wouldn’t lead me anywhere. Went back inside and put food and fresh water down. When I sat back down she would start nudging me again. Then she started the panting and trembling. She wanted cuddles and groaned several times (which may or may not mean she is in pain...she is a groaner ).
I took her temp. and I was 103. So I went ahead and called the vet. She drank all the water I offered her in a cup (because cup water is extra special) and I used ice packs to bring her fever down. The vet didn’t answer (called like 15 times) so I left a message . So I waited and waited. Finally I gave up on them and called the vet that did Sandy’s spay. They answered on the first 3rd ring and told me to bring her in. Her temp. was back down to 101.5.
At the vet they came and got her from the car. They took her vitals and they were normal. Asked me if she had gotten into anything and she hadn’t that I know of. They said I should get bloodwork but because it was closing time they wouldn’t have the results until tomorrow. They recommended I got to the Emergency vet. So that’s what I did.

EV her temperature was back to 103 and she was mildly dehydrated from the fever. They said her bloodwork was all normal except for the Urine Specific Gravity. It was on the low side. They gave me clovomox , fluids for Sandy, a anti inflammatory meds and told me to get a fresh collection in the morning.

So this morning I brought the vet Sandy’s morning urine sample. The results back still a little low 1.022. Slightly higher than yesterday’s but I was told the morning will always be higher. The vet said wait a few weeks and run the test again. So far today she is doing well today and she is back to acting normal. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Monday she has surgery scheduled to remove the mammery tumor with the vet that didn’t answer their phone. They have really great reviews but I’m not impressed with their office people so far. I haven’t gotten a chance to talk to them about the results but before they do the surgery I will talk to them about the results and I now want to have a X-ray (EV recommend) done to see if they see cancer anywhere else. There is no point in putting her through a painful surgery for nothing.



The only thing I can think of that has changed was I couldn’t get her normal purina pro plan sport so temporary while I’m waiting for a shipment from chewy I have feeding Purina pro plan puppy for the past week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,266 Posts
Poor Sandy. I’m glad you were able to get her seen. I agree with you about having an X-ray first so you can make the best decision.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,660 Posts
Sending positive thoughts your way
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,498 Posts
What a very worrying 24 hours. I hope it was just a minor bug, and she is quickly back to normal, but you are right to get everything thoroughly checked before surgery.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mel and Dogs4Life

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,402 Posts
Hoping the surgery goes well (if this is the next step) and she recovers quickly. Many fun days to play with Nova in her future. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,650 Posts
Such worries, I hope Sandy will be ok, been there this past few weeks myself. I too would do the x-ray first. Will keep you and Sandy in good thoughts
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top