Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have to decide whether to take my pup in today to the 24-hr (very pricey) animal hospital or wait until Tuesday when my regular vet is in. Paulie(my 4-mo. mini-poo) was playing with my other guy and suddenly started yelping and screaming...when I went to the door they were already in the garage and Paulie went to lie in his cage...then later my husband went to pick him up so we could look at him and he screamed as if in pain. He will eat treats but only walks a bit with not fully flexing one front leg-mostly he has been just lying on his bed or in cage. So opinions: 1)wait and see 2) take him in and pay the exorbitant weekend price today.:confused:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Is he weight baring at all on the leg? Personally i would give it a few hours and see how he is. If he is still favoring it then i would take him in. If your vet was open tomorrow then i would wait, but since it is not open till Tuesday i wouldnt.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes-he can bear his weight-as we feel around, he seems to have the pain up by the left shoulder area...

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
If he will eat, and doesnt sit and cry in pain then you probably could wait overnight and see. Keep him Very confined in his crate. The less movement the better. If he is at all still painful in the morning then i would take him to a vet (most open on Mondays).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK-thanks-guess I will do that. I am just a big worrier-esp when they can't talk and you can't see anything.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I bet he dislocated the little bone that is up in the shoulder area. One of the puppies from my last litter did this during rough play with a litermate. $200 later we had a nice xray and were told that it would resolve itself. It did with no lasting symptoms.

I would give him crate rest and keep him quiet for a day or two and see what happens. If he still shows signs of pain on Monday you can take him in.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Poor little guy. It sounds like you got some great ideas already. Wishing him a quick recovery.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much all of you for your help. I am taking your advice and trying to keep him quiet and confined. That means he must stay alone in the kitchen and not play with his playmate-LOL. He is such a little stinker anyway.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He seems to be doing fairly well-I have not touched his shoulder today-will let my husband do that when he comes home-but he is playing some and I still don't want him running-thanks so much for asking!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Maybe it was just a charlie horse or pulled muscle and he is fine now, keeping my fingers crossed that his boo boo is all better now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts