Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am devastated, and so angry at my carelessness. I went to washroom upstairs while the empty bowl with cherry pits ( I finished cherries myself) is left on the sofa. when I got downstairs, kiwi ate all the cherry pits, more than 20 of them!

I am waiting on the line of animal positioning hotline that referred by my local animal emergency hospital. Whatesle can I do!!

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,822 Posts
Oh no! I'm so sorry. These things happen. Let us know what poison control says.

I think all you can do in the meantime is stay calm, keep your little Kiwi calm, and be ready to make a trip to the emergency vet. Do you have one close?

Poisoning aside, there's also the chance of intestinal blockage, which was a constant worry for us when Peggy was obsessed with rocks. You can read up on the signs of that, so you know what to watch for.

·
Super Moderator
3,982 Posts
Oh no! See this link on how to induce vomiting when dog has eaten recently and if it applies to your situation if you can't get to the vet soon.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,719 Posts
Induce vomiting per above.

Stay calm. Mia ate loads of chocolate and raisins in her first few years and she's still here.

As I understand it, if Kiwi chewed the pits, the risk is cyanide poisoning. Symptoms (rapid breathing, nervousness, maybe vomiting or diarrhea) will appear within 15-20 minutes of consumption. Since you posted 45 minutes ago, you should have a sense of whether Kiwi is suffering from poisoning.

If unchewed, the risk is blockage. Symptoms (constipation, decreased appetite) will appear within 24 hours.

·
Super Moderator
2,596 Posts
How big is Kiwi? For most of my childhood and young adulthood I carefully chewed around the cherry pits and swallowed them along with the cherries. I obviously survived. Cherry pits are designed to survive a trip through the digestive system intact and be pooped out far from the mother tree. My biggest concern would be if Kiwi is so tiny she can't poop something the size of a cherry pit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kiwi is only 6.5 pounds and he ate 20 cherry pits less than 2 minutes! We tried to induce him to vomit using the ACC instructions but we failed.thanks for the link! Now he is admitted in the animal emergency hospital, doctor will try to induce him again, hope it will work, as doctor says it may only work within the first hour.

·
Super Moderator
2,596 Posts
Hoping for the best. That does sound like an ambitious amount for such a small stomach.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Glad you were able to get him into the hospital. Sending positive thoughts for him...keep us updated when you can!

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Sending hope for a good outcome 🙏

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hospital told us the wait time could be very long for the doctor, just like human emergency room, priorities are given to the more serious cases. But they told me Kiwi has been induced vomiting already and is resting. I hope most of the pits are out already.
We are waiting at home now, hope we can bring our baby home tonight. Poor Kiwi must feel horrible now and think we gave him up. He bit my husband so badly while we are tying to induce him to vomit, we are not experienced and he was not cooperating at all. I cried and my husband was very frustrated too. He must thought we gave him up, while waiting to be treated with other sick dogs. :(

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Oh no, poor Kiwi. I hope they are able to induce sufficient vomiting to bring all the pits up. (((Hugs)))

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Oh, poor Kiwi, I hope he feels better soon !

To induce vomiting (hoping you don’t ever need it again) I use a seringe filled with peroxide. I don’t remember the dosage, I look it up online, on some kind of vet’s page. You slide the small seringe on the side of the mouth, between the lip and the teeth, and just press. The dog will swallow. It’s very efficient, you can’t miss.

If your dog is used to having his teeth brushed, it feels the same so they’re fine with it.

Anyways, sending good vibes your way for your little Kiwi !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately Kiwi didn’t vomit the pits out... the doctor said the next step is to do X-ray to see where the pits are.. and next best option is to do the surgery. The only good news is still very energetic now. Should I take my chance to see if he can poop the pits out himself? I really don’t want him to go through surgery

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Unless the xrays show nothing, or the ER vet isn't worried, surgery really is your only option, as hard as that is to hear. I've just done a quick internet search on some reputable sites and even 1 pit can be enough to cause an intestinal obstruction. Not to scare you any more, but that's life-threatening to deadly, and then there's the possibility of cyanide poisoning from the pits.

My boy ate an unidentified something on a walk a couple of years back. We went to the ER vet and Neo also didn't vomit anything back up so we did the xray.

We got lucky, the xray showed no solid objects in his GI tract, so the vet we saw suggested the wait approach.

If the vet sees something that tells them immediate action is required, they'll be honest with you.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,822 Posts
Has Kiwi been neutered yet? Could they possibly combine the two surgeries?

I am definitely a "wait and see" person when it comes to most medical decisions, but I would listen to a vet's advice on this (assuming, of course, that they are highly skilled and conservative when it comes to invasive procedures).

It's wonderful the Kiwi is in good spirits, but I know an obstruction can quickly turn life-threatening.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts