Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has done the Embark Health testing? What do the results look like, and how does it work? I'm considering it for both the boys, mostly for the health testing aspect - would be nice to know if either of them have anything they inherited (though they do come from tested parents so i'm hoping nothing serious!)

But it's a fair bit of $$ for both dogs, so just wondering what everyone here thinks. Are there better options?

And no, i'm not breeding them or asking because i want to breed them. Dublin is neutered. Lim is not (yet) but he is on a pet contract. No plans to breed - maybe some day, and i would go about it the RIGHT way, but for now i just want to know about the health benefits of the testing.

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
989 Posts
I've done Embark Breed + Health testing on all three of my dogs. I've been told that their DM test might not be as accurate as some labs, and there are some tests, like vWD, that OFA won't accept from Embark for Poodles (although they do accept the exact same vWD test for Doberman Pinschers). If there are just one or two tests you want to do and submit to OFA, then doing just those through a lab like Gensol, VetGen, or Vetnostics, depending on which lab they will accept results from.

This is Simon's Embark results. Simon’s Embark Dog DNA Results It has his breed, physical traits (including color) and health testing. I could submit his PRA and NEWS results to OFA, but not his vWD.

·
Premium Member
6,996 Posts
I did the Embark Purebred test. They routinely offer $50 off but periodically offer more. If health is your primary concern, I'd go with Embark

Neo

Remo

Reactions: Heartland2022

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Sorry to hijack the conversation.

Rose n poo were you surprised at the results that both Neo and Remo weren’t 100% poodle? Is this a common finding?

It’s always fun to see the results, and reassuring for you to see they haven’t inherited any of the serious diseases that are tested.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been told that their DM test might not be as accurate as some labs, and there are some tests, like vWD, that OFA won't accept from Embark for Poodles (although they do accept the exact same vWD test for Doberman Pinschers). If there are just one or two tests you want to do and submit to OFA, then doing just those through a lab like Gensol, VetGen, or Vetnostics, depending on which lab they will accept results from.
Good to know! This is more for personal curiosity and peace of mind than anything else.

Are there other similar tests, or is Embark the best one?

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
989 Posts
Wisdom Panel is another pretty accurate test that people do. I'm thinking that most of the other ones either don't do, or are more limited on the amount of health tests they do.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I wonder if the results can be used against you if you're going to buy insurance?
I found this at a pet insurance site:

Most companies will price premiums based on breed because experience has shown that some breeds cost more to care for. The way this is done by some is by creating risk pools; certain breeds are lumped together in the same premium categories. This allows all pet owners with similar high-cost breeds to share in the financial risk with other pet owners.
There is wonderful technology available today to genetically test your pet and identify any potential breed-related issues that are present. However, even if the test is positive, it doesn't mean your pet would necessarily develop the condition, only that the possibility is present. No companies today are offering reduced premiums as a result of clean genetic testing, but it is a possibility in the future.

·
Premium Member
6,996 Posts
I looked at both again today and Embark and Wisdom Panel are becoming pretty equal in the amount of health testing lately. Both are looking at over 200 conditions but Embark adds the breed specific testing also. I don't think WP does that. You have to look at the kits on their sites to see which of their offerings are most useful for you. You'll also want to note how many markers they look at for accuracy (if you can find that info).
The breed-specific in the Purebred test is part of why I went for Embark late last year.

If you wanted to look at another option with health as your primary interest Paw Print offers breed and variety specific panels. Thru today they're offering 40% off their (much higher) prices.
Paw Print Genetics - Tests for Standard Poodle

Tom's question I think has come up before but I don't remember for sure. Some quick research suggests that they depend on vet records so if there's no record of symptoms or treatment I'd think consumer versions of DNA tests, since they're done voluntarily and rarely to diagnose symptoms, couldn't be taken into account.

I'm sure they'd love to find a way but it'll be hard to deny coverage because of something that may or may not be in the future. I think this same conversation is happening in the world of human medicine/DNA testing and impact on insurance.

·
Premium Member
6,996 Posts
Sorry to hijack the conversation.

Rose n poo were you surprised at the results that both Neo and Remo weren’t 100% poodle? Is this a common finding?

It’s always fun to see the results, and reassuring for you to see they haven’t inherited any of the serious diseases that are tested.
Apologies TK9NY, this will be a brief tangent :)

I was surprised, and like anyone getting unexpected results, I'm still questioning it. I knew the breeder was anywhere from well-intentioned but woefully underinformed to outright sketchy, that was obvious from the start. They had a website which I found after we initially met which looked like the typical Midwest questionable "small breeder" website. Their website mentioned poodles, Yorkies, Shih Tzu's, and mini Aussie's, crossing the first three. In person, he said that the poodles were all they were currently breeding.

This is why I insisted on seeing the home the boys were raised in. The son in charge initially agreed but then was overruled by his parents. They did bring the dam, sire, and all three available pups to another one of their son's homes for us all to meet.

The dam was very sweet. Remo looks just like her but he has dark eye rims and nose (before it changed). Neo looks like his sire in the face. The sire however was a whirlwind, he couldn't settle, as if he'd been denied much contact with people.

So, based on my available eyes-on evidence, I expected 100% poodle, if not particularly well bred.

With your question bringing this forefront to my mind again, and remembering another member's interesting experience with her unquestionably well bred boy's results, I wrote to Embark today to ask how the same dog could have different results in each rerun of the test, and why should I continue to suggest to members asking if their dog is purebred to do a DNA test for breed at all if this can happen?

ETA I have confidence in the health results because health and breed are determined by different methods. They both have the IVDD risk, not unusual, and Remo has one other but as carrier only.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Who here has done the Embark Health testing? What do the results look like, and how does it work? I'm considering it for both the boys, mostly for the health testing aspect - would be nice to know if either of them have anything they inherited (though they do come from tested parents so i'm hoping nothing serious!)

But it's a fair bit of $$ for both dogs, so just wondering what everyone here thinks. Are there better options?

And no, i'm not breeding them or asking because i want to breed them. Dublin is neutered. Lim is not (yet) but he is on a pet contract. No plans to breed - maybe some day, and i would go about it the RIGHT way, but for now i just want to know about the health benefits of the testing.
I have done the test for Dewy. The test is simple it is a swab in the cheek with a tube of liquid and directions. The test I ordered was purebred plus health. It gives a wealth of information. Especially if you do the surveys and use the free tools. It can even recommend tailored nutrition based on your dogs biological makeup - survey information. His vet loves it I can send all his records right through embark to him. I always keep them up to date and the vet adds information from his office too. Track Dewys progress contribute to veterinary research all sorts of stuff. I'll include a link to his profile and some pictures of things that you can't see from his public profile view. I've connected with many of his relatives owners through this. It is very interesting stuff Farnsworth Prince Maximus is his father embark photo below. It is a bit costly but I think it's well worth it. I would have never know about him running a low normal ALT without it. It also took a lot of work out of finding his personal nutritional needs. Like what to look for in food ingredients type amounts cals per day ect. I looked at the wisdom panel first but ultimately went with Embark. Embark does a very good job explaining what all this load of information means. I can't say I've seen the same from wisdom panel. I'm not sure if they offer such tools and surveys also. Anything will be better than nothing. Worth it just for the genetic health testing alone imho. Hope this helps. Dewys embark public profile link >> Dewy’s Embark Dog DNA Results

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It all seems very interesting. I did a DNA test for me a while ago and it turns out i'm predominantly German with a little British/Irish thrown in for fun, i guess. I'm adopted and have no family history, so it was interesting to find that out. Now the only question i guess is.... who goes first? Dublin, or Limerick? Or both? .... Can i afford both? I might have to pay rent a little bit late this month :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
It all seems very interesting. I did a DNA test for me a while ago and it turns out i'm predominantly German with a little British/Irish thrown in for fun, i guess. I'm adopted and have no family history, so it was interesting to find that out. Now the only question i guess is.... who goes first? Dublin, or Limerick? Or both? .... Can i afford both? I might have to pay rent a little bit late this month :D
Use that that should help so says the screenshot. $40 off your Embark Breed + Health or Purebred kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm also hesitant about getting Pavie tested. My breeder already did Paw Prints Genetics on the dam and sire and made the information available, so I'm sure Pavie doesn't have any of the breed-relevant inherited diseases that are more common in poodles and goldens. Embark has more stuff though, so it might be fun, and I would like to know how much poodle he really is. And it would be cool to see if I can find any of his relatives. But based on reading the 1-star reviews on Amazon/Chewy/Google etc., I do worry that their breed test might be inaccurate. There are many posts where people put a photo of their dog and embark breed results and the breed makeup clearly doesn't match (e.g., a 15lb fluffy dog being majority pit bull/rottweiler or a dog with a ridgeback trait being 0% rhodesian ridgeback). The health test should be more accurate than breed guessing though, but I also feel it's quite expensive, even with the discount... Maybe some day we'll do it.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
And it would be cool to see if I can find any of his relatives.
I would not take the Embark test for this reason. The results for dogs are very different than for people. Because there is so little genetic diversity within a breed, Mia has a ton of relatives at the ~ 25-34% range. They're not able to distinguish between a half sibling and a complete unknown. Similarly, the "Family Tree" result is hilarious, because it just tells you the breed of the ancestor, or in Mia's case, "Poodle".

·
Registered
Thomas the Old Man, Ethel May, Jeffrey Steven
408 Posts
The health test should be more accurate than breed guessing though, but I also feel it's quite expensive, even with the discount... Maybe some day we'll do it.
This is how I feel about it. I like that there are advances in these fields and testing is becoming available but at this point it is too expensive and potentially unreliable for me to justify the cost. I feel confident in Ethel's breeder as well as the breeders of Ethel's ancestors. I'm fairly confident in Jeffrey. His family tree isn't as impressive but the dogs are were still health tested. If I did any of the tests it would be for fun.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This is how I feel about it. I like that there are advances in these fields and testing is becoming available but at this point it is too expensive and potentially unreliable for me to justify the cost. I feel confident in Ethel's breeder as well as the breeders of Ethel's ancestors. I'm fairly confident in Jeffrey. His family tree isn't as impressive but the dogs are were still health tested. If I did any of the tests it would be for fun.
Yeah, you can buy an Airpods Pro on Amazon/Target/Walmart/Costco at about the same price as one Embark test. Maybe in the future when the genetic testing technology becomes cheaper and more reliable or can provide more information. I did the 23andme Ancestry + Traits for $79 (educational discount price) and uploaded on promethease (very impressive literature retrieval system that builds a personal DNA report) and got a bunch of health information.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts