Poodle Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Today is "Shad Derby" day in Windsor, CT. It's an annual festival started 55 years ago that initially was focused on a fishing contest. Shad is a fish that returns to its spawning grounds in the same way that salmon do. The Connecticut River and Farmington Rivers converge in Windsor and Shad fishing is always bountiful here.
Anyway, I walked downtown with Elroy to watch the parade and to mingle with the crowds to help Elroy learn how to be calm in a busy, loud, friendly crowd. He did spectacular! I was very proud of him. He only tried to jump up on one person out of the couple of dozen encounters. Small children are especially exciting to Elroy but he was fabulous with them as well. The parade had a dozen or so horses, Fire Engines, Shriners, clowns, High School Band, Fife & Drum Core, and much more! I didn't get many pictures, but here's the 2 I did take. So proud of my boy!
Shoe Dog Shorts Green Leg

Wheel Plant Black Shorts Tree

·
Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
934 Posts
Elroy woddles when walking casually. When looking from above, his butt moves significantly side to side. Is this how your standards gait is? I think the "woddle" is related to the cow hocks.

As far as "a little less of him...", Yes. But only by the smallest amount!😜 Vasectomy, not neuter.
When I was ring training for the show, Matteo has a tendency to amble - same side front and hind leg moving forward at the same time. As the trainer said, it's a lazy, energy conserving gait. I had to train it out of him, because waddling really does not show him at his best.
I'm not skilled enough to see whether Elroy is cow hocked, however you could get him evaluated by a judge. The thoroughness was interesting and I now know, Matteo is a sound dog. As you say, you love Elroy nonetheless. ❤ You've got your priorities right.

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
This happens almost every day during our walks (notice the bunny he's staring at). He's very interested, and would be off in a heartbeat if I told him to, but generally he just "points" at the bunny when he's on leash. By the time I took this picture, Elroy had come off his "pointing" stance. Notice he still has his right front leg up though!
Dog Water dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thank you! Elroy and I are both fond of it! I have to brush and comb it about every couple of days or things get difficult back there!
Edit: Just noticed you can still (barely) see the IV shaved area on his left front leg in this picture.
View attachment 493666
It does look to be filling in quickly. It seemed like Beau’s was visible for a little over a month. Black might help you there.

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Elroy is 16 months old today! His friend Lily and her human came over for a quick play date this afternoon. They play soooo nice together! Neither of them even make a sound. Running back & forth, playing bitey face, rolling over exposing thier bellies😍! They are both nearly the same age. Elroy is a bit bigger, I'm guessing she's around 35-40 lbs. (Elroy is 59), but they both have a similar energy level. Sorry but I forgot to get any photos so I'll just insert one I have. Lily is probably a lab mixed with something smaller, chihuahua maybe? She's all black (brown in sunlight), and very fit.
Plant Dog Tree Dog breed Window

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Indeed! "Give me a kiss" is one of his most reliable commands! He LOVES giving kisses😘
So sweet. Frosty is the same. 🥰

I love reading about Elroy--he has such a good life :giggle:

• Love
Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Elroy has seen many a train go by, but today was his closest vantage point yet!

Dog Plant Water dog White Dog breed

Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Tree
Dog Plant Tree Water dog Carnivore

Plant Dog Train Vehicle Aircraft

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

The photos might trick you into thinking it was going slow, but it was actually going like 60 mph. Loud too! I think he blew the whistle an extra couple of times for Elroy's sake! AND! After the train went by, the gates didn't come up🤔. What do you know! Another one came in the other direction immediately after the first! Elroy took it like a champ! He wasn't shook up at all. I'm pretty sure he's catching onto what the red lights, gates, and bells mean by now too!
Onward to an off leash play period!

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
(from Yesterday)
Elroy got a little off leash time in some giant sporting fields at Loomis Chafee school! He said hi, up close and personal, to 3 (welcoming) guys on electric carts (grounds keepers taking a break). He was very good and didn't jump on them (hardly) at all😁! They all loved his visit! Shortly thereafter the leash came off and he got some much needed energy out of his system!
Plant Dog Dog breed Carnivore Sky

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant

Water dog Dog Plant Carnivore Standard Poodle

Plant Plant community Ecoregion Vertebrate Working animal

Plant Vertebrate Sky Tree Mammal

41 - 58 of 58 Posts