Poodle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Yes, Yes, Yes! Squirrels like to bite off the top of Tulips! Just for fun I think馃! Pesky little critters!
The do it on many of my Tulips, but not to the ones in my "Tulip bed". It's a raised bed bordered with rocks; for some reason it's (raised rock border) a deterrent.
If I took an updated picture of this fresh row of Tulips, there'd be 3 or 4 "topless" Tulips. There's already one cut of behind Elroy's tail in this photo, but it not obvious since he's hiding the plant behind him. You can see by the spacing there's one missing. Oops! That's a good reason to have so many!
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Elroy's CGC test is next Monday. I think he'll pass, but no guarantee. The "no treats" part will make a couple of the tasks challenging. The "Reaction to Another Dog" has been challenging. Our practice class sessions have all been done simultaneously so 8 humans and dogs moving at once. The test will be done alone with the teachers non-reactive dog, so it should go easier that it does in class. Same concern with the "Out for a Walk" task. In class, everyone is walking at once. We'll be practicing. Do you guys think I should refrain from practicing on the day of the test? The "Accepting a Friendly Stranger" has improved quite a lot and I'm pretty sure this won't be an issue. Any last minute tips?
Dog Photograph Water dog Vertebrate Dog breed

Joint Leg Chair Flooring Floor

Dog Water dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore

Premium Member
Be prepared for test day jitters! The first time we took it, we were well prepared for the tests, but I hadn't realized how much Mia would respond to my energy. At the beginning, I was a little keyed up, and when the end was in sight, I got a little excited. She responded by being a little stressed at the beginning, then tiring out, then becoming more reactive (she wasn't calm around the other dog). Lesson learned!

Registered
I wish you and Elroy the very best! It is nerve racking for sure but I worked hard to be confident and relaxed despite the jitters. Bobby needed calm. Bobby did pass. I walked Bobby before the test so he wouldn鈥檛 be too excited but I personally thought, at least for us, practicing stuff the day of, would create more stress so I just kept it to a couple of good walks. I think some exercise is good but not so much the dog is too tired. I tried to keep the day mellow but burn off a bit of the normal young dog energy. 馃槈 As with so many things, each dog is different.
Did you practice in class using no treats?
The last class before the test we did it all with no treats for practice.
I鈥檓 guessing people more experienced will have more to offer than I. 馃槉

Registered
Tyler
I wish you and Elroy the very best! It is nerve racking for sure but I worked hard to be confident and relaxed despite the jitters. Bobby needed calm. Bobby did pass. I walked Bobby before the test so he wouldn鈥檛 be too excited but I personally thought, at least for us, practicing stuff the day of, would create more stress so I just kept it to a couple of good walks. I think some exercise is good but not so much the dog is too tired. I tried to keep the day mellow but burn off a bit of the normal young dog energy. 馃槈 As with so many things, each dog is different.
Every thing you've posted about Bobby makes me adore him. You are both blessed. Hugs to all of you. 馃

Registered
Be prepared for test day jitters! The first time we took it, we were well prepared for the tests, but I hadn't realized how much Mia would respond to my energy. At the beginning, I was a little keyed up, and when the end was in sight, I got a little excited. She responded by being a little stressed at the beginning, then tiring out, then becoming more reactive (she wasn't calm around the other dog). Lesson learned!
I actually expected Theo to fail the first time through. We missed the first class, it was in a building he had never been before, all large barking dogs and at 9 months he was very immature. I saw the test as a run through to see where our weaknesses were. Normally I have jitters in competition. Between my low expectation and focus on keeping Theo鈥檚 attention on me through the whole exam we passed.

Shift your goals from passing the CGC to 2-3 small things that you have worked on including Elroy should have a positive experience.

Keep things low key on the day. Don鈥檛 tire Elroy with excess exercise. You can do some fun training. I wouldn鈥檛 work on the exercises in the test. Instead do something that enhances 鈥渢eamwork 鈥 like rally.

While you can鈥檛 treat (or have treats on you) or lure during the exam, there will be breaks where you can go back to your seat and give him a treat.

Have fun with Elroy.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Did you practice in class using no treats?
The last class before the test we did it all with no treats for practice.
Yes. We did the last class with no treats. That is until he didn't follow commands. The tasks I mentioned we had trouble with are the ones he didn't do without treats. I'm hoping when there are less distractions (other classmates and dogs), he'll do all of them.

Premium Member
I am sure you and Elroy will do fine, even if you hit a bumpy moment. If you keep your head together then Elroy will too.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I've always noticed Elroy's hocks are pretty close to each other when walking, but being new to dogs, I didn't know anything about cow hocked. I've come to realize he has this structural defect. Elroy is definitely cow hocked. It doesn't seem to affect him thus far. Hope it never does. He's from champion lineage so hopefully that'll help ward away any future luxating patella issues. I also now realize that I don't take many pictures of Elroy from behind. I'll get some soon.
Dog Plant Sky People in nature Carnivore

Water dog Plant Tree Dog Carnivore

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Fence

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

Water Dog Water dog Carnivore Lake

Dog Snow Grass Tail Sporting Group

Snow Dog breed Freezing Active pants Snout

Attachments

Premium Member
Maybe in different pictures, but I don't really see it. How do they appear when he's standing?

Neo's normal relaxed stance looks very different from when he's moving.
(I also have few rear shot photos, I think because I'm always trying to capture his face :))

Joint Arm Elbow Gesture Font

Reactions: Minie

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It's difficult to get him to stand and stay while I walk behind to take a picture. Here's some rear view shots. It is what it is and doesn't matter, he's my love bug no matter. Just thought I'd throw it out here to see what feedback I might get. I think the video above shows it best.
Dog Water dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed

Shoe Plant Leg Grass Road surface

Leg Dog breed Carnivore Grass Road surface

Registered

This website has PCA Illustrated Standard diagrams that show the structure.

I'm not good at judging these things so I leave it up to those with a keener, more educated eye.

Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
In my experience, it's the very rare dog, of any breed, that actually meets the "straight" requirement as mentioned in the standard(s). Pretty much all dogs are either cow hocked or bowlegged to some extent.

Premium Member
My impression is that this is judged when standing, not necessarily when moving. Is it both?

The structure would have to affect the movement, I'd expect, but how is it judged in the ring?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Elroy woddles when walking casually. When looking from above, his butt moves significantly side to side. Is this how your standards gait is? I think the "woddle" is related to the cow hocks.

As far as "a little less of him...", Yes. But only by the smallest amount!馃槣 Vasectomy, not neuter.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts