Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Thank you - I enjoyed that, especially the video of the puppy playing!

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
That was fun to watch and heartwarming that she rescued a poodle pup bred by a cruel breeder.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
So sweet to see this. I have seen pictures of Ellen with her previous Standard poodle, Mabel. She was over the moon about Mabel too! So happy she has another!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I didn't particularly like her 'there are purebreds in rescues so if you want a purebred that's no excuse' which to me implies a 'don't shop, adopt' frame of mine which I disagree with. There are almost no WELL BRED purebreds in rescues as well bred dogs are generally required to be returned or at least to work with the breeder to rehome a dog an owner can't keep. And I don't want a poorly bred standard poodle. I want a standard poodle that is beautiful, with genetically tested parents from a breeder that knows the health of the lines they're breeding.
It great she got a poodle instead of a poodle cross though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm glad Ellen got a puppy she loves. Good for her & good for the pup who needed a human!

Mysticrealm,

I could hug you. Strange response I know but I have been given so much guff in my life because my dogs are always from breeders. I am supportive of those who go to shelters. As a trainer, I used to go to our local shelters & train dogs there waiting for homes so that they were more easily adopted & have helped their adopted owners for the lifetime of the dog at no cost. I'm not anti adoption however the world has turned almost anti breeder... which I am against. Since in my 20's, I have something that happens about 1 hour to 30 minutes prior to the onset of a migraine. Dogs can detect it & warn me, I take the meds... miss out on the excruciating pain. The best & kindest thing for the dogs is to start them with me as puppies so they aren't freaked out & they learn to detect with my older dogs. With a purebred puppy I know what to expect to get as an adult plus the breeder can help me select for what I need.

If not for our ethical breeders... well, I just wouldn't want to see our breeds then. So I'm happy for Ellen that she's happy with her puppy but I'm so irritated by the shaming. A shelter dog needs to be right for you the same way one from an ethical breeder.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I buy from breeders, but I do support the «*don’t shop adopt*» philosophy also. So many dogs are abandoned and in shelters, we need to have a conscience about it.

If I could, I would adopt always, but when you have allergies, it’s almost impossible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts